+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 1 Million iPhones and 10 Million Apps in Three Days

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,273 Times in 652 Posts

Default 1 Million iPhones and 10 Million Apps in Three Days
    Despite all of the issues we have seen with the 3g iPhone launch Apple is rolling in the big bucks.

Apple has sold 1 million 3g iPhones in the 3 days since launch. Everyone everywhere seems to be picking these things up as fast as Apple can stock them. Speaking of stock I wish I'd bought some more Apple stock 4 days ago

In other news in the three days since the launch of the 3g iPhone and the AppStore there have been over 10 million downloads so far. I'm no math wiz but that wold be an average of around 1 app download per iPhone in existence (iPhone 3g + 1st gen) in only three days. Impressive.

CUPERTINO, California—July 14, 2008—Apple® today announced it sold its one millionth iPhone™ 3G on Sunday, just three days after its launch on Friday, July 11. iPhone 3G is now available in 21 countries—Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK and the US—and will go on sale in France on July 17.

“iPhone 3G had a stunning opening weekend,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “It took 74 days to sell the first one million original iPhones, so the new iPhone 3G is clearly off to a great start around the world.”

The new iPhone 3G combines all the revolutionary features of iPhone plus 3G networking that is twice as fast*, built-in GPS for expanded location-based mobile services, and iPhone 2.0 software which includes support for Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync and runs over 800 third party applications available through the new App Store. In the US, the new iPhone 3G is priced at just $199 for the 8GB model, and $299 for the 16GB model**.

*Based on 3G and EDGE testing. Actual speeds vary by site conditions.
    **Requires new two-year AT&T rate plan for qualified customers, sold separately.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-winning computers, OS X operating system and iLife and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital media revolution with its iPod portable music and video players and iTunes online store, and has entered the mobile phone market with its revolutionary iPhone.
    CUPERTINO, California—July 14, 2008—Apple® today announced that iPhone™ and iPod® touch users have already downloaded more than 10 million applications from its groundbreaking new App Store since its launch late last week. Developers have created a wide array of innovative mobile applications ranging from games to location-based social networking to medical applications to enterprise productivity tools. Users can wirelessly download applications directly onto their iPhone or iPod touch* and start using them immediately. More than 800 native applications are now available on the App Store, with more than 200 offered for free and more than 90 percent priced at less than $10.

“The App Store is a grand slam, with a staggering 10 million applications downloaded in just three days,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “Developers have created some extraordinary applications, and the App Store can wirelessly deliver them to every iPhone and iPod touch user instantly.”

Many of these amazing new applications take advantage of iPhone’s large display, Multi-Touch™ user interface, fast hardware-accelerated 3D graphics, built-in accelerometer and location-based technology to bring far more powerful applications to the mobile arena than ever before.

The App Store on iPhone works over cellular networks and Wi-Fi, which means it is accessible from just about anywhere, so users can purchase and download applications wirelessly and start using them instantly. Applications are free or charged to the user’s iTunes® account and the App Store notifies the user when updates are available for their apps. The App Store is also available in iTunes (Apple - iTunes - iTunes Overview) running on a Mac® or PC, which syncs applications to the iPhone or iPod touch using a USB cable.

*Requires downloading software update sold separately for $9.95.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-winning computers, OS X operating system and iLife and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital media revolution with its iPod portable music and video players and iTunes online store, and has entered the mobile phone market with its revolutionary iPhone.
    via apple and apple

My iPhone is a Part of Me PhoneLine's Avatar
    Thanks

And I think all of them are in line outside the 5th ave store here in NYC.....go home people, I want my phone!

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneLine View Post
    And I think all of them are in line outside the 5th ave store here in NYC.....go home people, I want my phone!
    I second that!! When will all these no-lifers go home so I can just walk in and get one?!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

they should of made more, every store should have a biggger stock!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Gwow that's all I have to say

Green Apple
    Thanks

have they run out of 3G iPhones at stores?

Thanks

whoa... at first i thought that you ment that 10 million apps were allready released
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

there will be plenty of phones to go around. give it another 7 days

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tntmorgan View Post
    have they run out of 3G iPhones at stores?
    The Apple Store in Richmond, VA ran out on Saturday the 12th. All of the local AT&T stores ran out by noon on the 11th. As of today, Monday the 14th, there is still a large display in front of the Apple Store saying that the iPhone is still out of stock.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Out of stock at the Apple store and ALL AT&T stores in the Indianapolis area. I need my new phone!! Come on Apple, fill the shelves!!

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

All this and the stock is only up $3.07 today... which is almost even what it was about a week ago. Just goes to show how stock prices are all based on projections and expectation by Wall Street, not what the company is actually doing at any given time.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PhoneLine's Avatar
    Thanks

All the NYC stores have all 3 in stock as if last nights stock check. Problem has been a 4 hour plus wait each day. I'm hoping that tomorrow night people might go home and watch the all start game and that will allow me to sneak in the 5th ave store and get mine! I have zero interest in baseball, but I hope other NYers do!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Everyone is out in the Dallas area! The answer to "When are you getting some more?" is "I don't know!"

Thanks

I'm no math wiz either...
    But.. I read in an article that Apple makes only 24-26$ profit on each phone.. therfore doing some calculations

1 million 3g's sold @ 24$ profit = (greater than or equal to ) 24 million
    10 Million downloads.... 1/5 of which are Free apps (as one fifth of App store apps are currently free) means.. that if we just "say" all others are "99 cents" then: they have at least made $237,600,000 because they get 30% of price, so then we see

24 Million for iPhone 3G's sold
    237.6 Million for AppStore Apps Profits
    = at least 261.6 Million in its first weekend of exsistence.

Just in case anyone wanted to know.
    iPhone 3G 16GB - Black.

Screw the crAppStore I want Installer!

iPhone? More like MyPhone wannagotopopeyes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sweeneytodd View Post
    I'm no math wiz either...
    But.. I read in an article that Apple makes only 24-26$ profit on each phone.. therfore doing some calculations

1 million 3g's sold @ 24$ profit = (greater than or equal to ) 24 million
    10 Million downloads.... 1/5 of which are Free apps (as one fifth of App store apps are currently free) means.. that if we just "say" all others are "99 cents" then: they have at least made $237,600,000 because they get 30% of price, so then we see

24 Million for iPhone 3G's sold
    237.6 Million for AppStore Apps Profits
    = at least 261.6 Million in its first weekend of exsistence.

Just in case anyone wanted to know.

Holy hell you're right. or maybe not exact but thats gotta be a pretty close estimate. Damn that is a lot of money. I wonder how much it cost them to produce 1 million 3G's compared to how much they got? probably a ton less. wow.
    i LOVE apple.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    If Apple makes $24 per iPhone then they made $24 million on the phones.

If they make 30% of the appstore price and 4/5 are $0.99 then they made $240,000 on the apps.

Thats a total of $24,240,000 which is still pretty darn good for 3 days!

Thanks

whoa. Good math. That's a good profit considering they dropped price so much. So I wonder what it would be had they stuck with 300 and 400 prices

Thanks

yep, they ran out of iPhones by 11am July 11... But I got one!!! )

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I was online last night at the fifth ave store. I drove down from westchester at like 1am and the guy told me that they can start selling til 8am because at& closes the registering. So then I asked another apple person and she said and confirmed that they will start selling at 7 am. So i decided to wait it out...and the funny part is their were 5 people ahead of me. so 3am....4am (more people(lots of rain=move line inside)...5 am move downstairs...6am they do a test run with the first guy online and it good to go. They pluck me off the line and sell me the phone like im a fiend for crack and i need it I gotta have it ... All in all it was fun and easy. Just ake sure if your gonna wait it out at the 5th av store to stop at 53rd & 6th (ave of americas) to get some chicken and rice first.
    Good luck folks

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

I called all the ATT stores all around me and none of them have phones right now.. and what they all said was for the people that pre-ordered we will fill their orders first, we don't know when we will be getting anymore of them in and if you want to order one come into the store with a credit card and you will get one in about a week.....

Thought this time around there would be plenty to go around? And that the shelfs would be full all of the time so people didn't have to wait like we have to right now?

I was up and was going to go to the store when they first started selling but thought I should wait a bit to see the pro's and con's as for what people are saying on this forum first about it..

I thought by waiting a bit then I could go in and get one. All of the ATT stores said the phones are still ringing off the walls from people calling and wanting the phones....

OH well I will have to go in pay for it and wait for it to come in...... LOL At least I have my old one here still!