+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 1 Million iPhones and 10 Million Apps in Three Days

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Atlanta Stores have done a good job keeping stock of all models.
    Thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sweeneytodd View Post
    I'm no math wiz either...
    But.. I read in an article that Apple makes only 24-26$ profit on each phone.. therfore doing some calculations

1 million 3g's sold @ 24$ profit = (greater than or equal to ) 24 million
    10 Million downloads.... 1/5 of which are Free apps (as one fifth of App store apps are currently free) means.. that if we just "say" all others are "99 cents" then: they have at least made $237,600,000 because they get 30% of price, so then we see

24 Million for iPhone 3G's sold
    237.6 Million for AppStore Apps Profits
    = at least 261.6 Million in its first weekend of exsistence.

Just in case anyone wanted to know.
    ya if 3g iphones sold at a higher price, then apple stock wouldve flown through the roof!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wannagotopopeyes View Post
    wonder how much it cost them to produce 1 million 3G's compared to how much they got? probably a ton less. wow.
    Well, thats already figured in. If they're making a 24 dollar profit off of each iPhone, and they've sold at least 1 million, thats at least 24 million. That's raw profit.

That being said, one could say it costs them $175.99 to make each 8gig iphone. Thefore. They're probably making close to 24 maybe 26 on each 16 gig. Either way, if we say they all make 24$ profits, at least one million yields 24 million.

175.99 million to make one million iphones... but that's already figured in (or out I guess) of my calculations in my other post.

And it just occurred to me... its more than that... we forgot all about Mobile Me. It was selling like Candy @ my Apple Store. One guy seriously turned to me and asked if they were free because every person bought it. Nice sales pitching team Apple, haha.
    iPhone 3G 16GB - Black.

Screw the crAppStore I want Installer!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

You know what I love about this news of 1 million sales?

I'm getting a second 1G iPhone for cheapies as a backup incase mine goes south.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

What's Jailbreak?
    in a world of my own design... looks kind of like Georgia
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tyfly867 View Post
    I'm not so sure about that one.. I'm in the Atl area and the store I went to had only 40 in stock from the beginning. They ran out when I got about 5 people away from the door... and the manager who came out to inform us said that every store in the Atlanta area was out. I ended up ordering mine from direct fufillment, but I got my email yesterday saying that they are "out of stock" and "backordered". The AT&T store said they think it'll be about a week or so (I'm trying to keep my level of lividness down right now). I thought I may get it a little faster than that since I wanted a 16 gig, and I figured that most people would be ordering 8 gigs, but I guess not....

Thanks

wow that alot of iphones....now im going to be one of the millions buying one also..but im not sure yet...ahhh going crazy...i just dont like ATT data plan ill be paying more.. well time to go to APPLE and play with one and see..might end up getting one thoe......why apple make products that are addicting to use...i use mine alot..im i and addict do i need help or im normal

Thanks

ok that makes me and my old iPhone like DUMB.
    every other guy is going to have it due to its low price. Maybe this is the stage when the whole human race develops or evolves into a new stage with facilities which are not limited to only a few lot.

Oh great. Whatever thats supposed to mean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeneytodd View Post
    I'm no math wiz either...
    But.. I read in an article that Apple makes only 24-26$ profit on each phone.. therfore doing some calculations

1 million 3g's sold @ 24$ profit = (greater than or equal to ) 24 million
    10 Million downloads.... 1/5 of which are Free apps (as one fifth of App store apps are currently free) means.. that if we just "say" all others are "99 cents" then: they have at least made $237,600,000 because they get 30% of price, so then we see

24 Million for iPhone 3G's sold
    237.6 Million for AppStore Apps Profits
    = at least 261.6 Million in its first weekend of exsistence.

Just in case anyone wanted to know.
    I think you calculated $99.00 per app instead of $0.99.

10,000,000 * 4/5 = 8,000,000
    8,000,000 * 0.99 = 7,920,000
    7,920,000 * 30% = 2,376,000

But you also have to consider that in all likelihood the free apps made up a much higher percentage of downloads precisely because they are free.

It was probably more like 80% of the downloads were one of the free apps.

If thatís the case, and the average price for the apps that people actually paid something for is $0.99 then they still made over half a million on apps alone (my math is below).

10,000,000 * 1/5 (or 20%) = 2,000,000
    2,000,000 * 0.99 = 1,980,000
    1,980,000 * 30% = 594,000

Still, not bad for pure profit though ;]

In addition, there are rumors that apple is getting $325 from AT&T for each iPhone sold and estimates that the new phone only costs $173 to manufacture.

That would mean that apple made ~$152 Million on the phones alone.
    Of course thatís not pure profit because the $173 per phone is only the Bill of Materials and does not take into account shipping, employee salaries, advertising/marketing, cost of storefronts, ect.

So the $24 per phone is probably a more accurate estimate of pure profit for the hardware.
    Last edited by ninjoshua; 07-15-2008 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12