Voters
210. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes it looks like sewer water

108 51.43%
  • no mine's awesome

102 48.57%
+ Reply
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3g iPhone Yellow Screens = Apple Fail?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I dunno, look at those pictures. The 3g looks quite yellow, but if you notice, the 3g is turned and not straight.
    Green Apple
    Thanks

I dunno, look at those pictures. The 3g looks quite yellow, but if you notice, the 3g is turned and not straight.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I just compared my 3g to my 1st gen. I set. brightness to max on both and the difference is negligable if any at all. Maybe I got lucky or it's just me??

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Firmware restore from 5A345 to 5A347 does nothing. My iPhone 3G screen is noticably more yellow than my original iPhone.

It also has a very pronounced change of color temperature as you tilt it away from you (and view it at an angle). Tilt it one way, it gets more yellow, tilt the other way, more blue. The brightness also drops off very fast as you start increasing the viewing angle. My first gen iPhone keeps the same color temperature at all viewing angles and maintains brightness much better than my 3G screen.

The 3G definitely uses a cheaper LCD than the first gen iPhone. The good news is that I would have never noticed if I didn't put the two phones right next to each other. Oh well.

Livin the iPhone Life Napoleon_PhoneApart's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by glustic View Post
    I noticed a similar issue regarding the infamous 5-screen vs 7-screen thread last year. The picture of the two screens side by side showed the 7-screen slightly turned to one side, causing the screen to appear darker than it normally would have.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Napoleon_PhoneApart For This Useful Post:

mgregor (07-15-2008)

Thanks

I have a first gen iPhone and also a iPhone 3G and both screens are exactly the same....no yellow tint here at all

also i have something to add...for those of you who think the the new iPhone is made of cheaper materials because of the fact its $199 compared to the old $399. Did you forget that when you perchased the new 3G that your plan rate increased $10 more a month? You WILL end up paying the $399 back plus more. So in my opinion its not made cheaper they just pitched you this $199 bull**** to make you buy the phone and end up paying way more than the difference in the long run. Just think about the two year agreement that you agreed to along with the purchase. Thats $10 more a month for 2 years so you figure $240. My total was $216.11 so add $240 to that and youll see what i mean. $456.11
    Last edited by A_DuB187; 07-13-2008 at 10:53 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to A_DuB187 For This Useful Post:

mgregor (07-15-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone ifini's Avatar
    Thanks

Tip: Updating iPhone to 5A347 reduces yellow tinge

Tip: Updating iPhone to 5A347 reduces yellow tinge
    By Clint Ecker | Published: July 13, 2008 - 02:20PM CT

Many of our readers have noted that their new iPhone 3Gs purchased this past Friday had screens that were exhibiting a much yellower hue than their original iPhones, even when updated to the latest firmware using iTunes. Some individuals have even gone so far as to use a professional chroma meter to measure the temperature of each screen (no mention of firmware version).

Jason Snell of Macworld wrote an article on the new warmer screens and managed got the following comment from Apple PR:

“We moved the white point in order to make [the display feel] more natural,” Borchers said, suggesting that consumers are more likely to appreciate warmer images, especially when viewing photos.

Ars Technica forum readers have discovered that the reason is because the iPhones purchased in-store shipped with a slightly older firmware revision—2.0 5A345. Updating your older phone via the built-in mechanism in iTunes will have picked up the newer revision, which resets the screen's color calibration to be a little less yellow and more like the original iPhone. Furthermore, store-purchased iPhones can be set to the 5A347 firmware by attaching the device to your main computer, allowing a backup to be performed, and then clicking the "Restore" button.

This process will take you at least 30 minutes depending on how much content you have on your iPhone, but if that yellow tinge is bothering you, it might be worth it.

Apple's previous comments on this issue makes the situation even more confusing. Did they make the screen too yellow in 5A345 and decide to tone it down in 5A347?

We have confirmed that updating the firmware from 345 to 347 changes the color calibration to be less yellow. We did this by taking an iPhone purchased at an AT&T store on Friday (5A345), restored and updated its firmware, and compared it to other iPhone 3G models running the 5A345 firmware and 5A347.

We synchronized the screen brightness levels and auto brightness features and confirmed that all iPhone hardware running the 5A347 firmware exhibited a less-yellow calibration than their 5A345 brethren. The resulting color temperature change can be seen in the above photograph.

Update: 2.0 firmware is prefixed with 5A, not 3A.

Buzz up!
    Last edited by ifini; 07-14-2008 at 07:02 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ifini For This Useful Post:

mgregor (07-15-2008)

Green Apple
    Thanks

if you look in details the screen pic looks more nature but I prefers a lil less yellowish

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DuRo For This Useful Post:

mgregor (07-15-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I heard from other sources that the screen manufacturer purposely made the screens like that to give it a "warmer" feel. Supposedly text is clearer and the phone is easier to see under sunlight with the "warmer" screens

13. The Following User Says Thank You to braddahjosh For This Useful Post:

mgregor (07-15-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I just came back from Apple store and have checked all the iPhone 3G they have on display. I compared my 1st generation iPhone to all of them (BR set at max) and every one of them turned out to be yellowish. I believe it's the way they want it to be. But the poll is now at ~ 1:1 ?
    Is it my eyes of yours?
    No offense guys ^^

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rickatsd For This Useful Post:

mgregor (07-15-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone ARCHA1C's Avatar
    Thanks

My screen may be a bit warmer in color tone, but it doesn't "suck" or look like "sewer water" therefore I voted that mine is "awesome".

I haven't held it up next to an EDGE iPhone, nor do I care to. It looks great, and I"m quite happy with it.

It's the battery life that has me bummed :-(

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ARCHA1C For This Useful Post:

mgregor (07-15-2008)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Theres around 10 3g iphone in my family and they are all yellowish

19. The Following User Says Thank You to DuRo For This Useful Post:

mgregor (07-15-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    actually Apple said they made it that way on purpose so the pictures would look better on the new iPhone 3G

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Remwe11 For This Useful Post:

mgregor (07-15-2008)

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

I think the Yellow makes it look terrible and not natural or warm when sitting side by side to my O.G. iPhone.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to JedixJarf For This Useful Post:

mgregor (07-15-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I think the Yellow makes it look excellent and natural or warm when sitting side by side to my O.G. iPhone.

Livin the iPhone Life yowiphone's Avatar
    Thanks

This is why its to cheap"

Cheaper screens
    Plastic replaces metal
    The buttons are plastic now, 1st GEN iphone they where hard rubber
    Screen is slightly smaller just a tiny bit

BTW its not called warmer colors, its called business and kissing apples ***. Fanboys!
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

Thanks

the screen are the same size ..

Livin the iPhone Life yowiphone's Avatar
    Thanks

Arent they shorter?
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

Thanks

the viewing screen are the same size but the whole glass face of the 3g is wider.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

if tis software and they intended it this way we should have the option of yellow or blue.

Thanks

DON'T BUY THE PHONE IF YOU DONT LIKE IT, PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!! Now stop crying about it.