Voters
210. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes it looks like sewer water

108 51.43%
  • no mine's awesome

102 48.57%
+ Reply
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3g iPhone Yellow Screens = Apple Fail?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Guys and Gals... I just got back from purchasing my iPhone 3G Black 16gb. Yes, it had a yellow screen! But I have a fix for it! Go to settings
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Guys and Gals...

I just got back from purchasing my iPhone 3G Black 16gb.

Yes, it had a yellow screen! But I have a fix for it! Go to settings > brightness > turn it all the way up!

Voila!....you will have a bright ***** screen...in fact...brighter than the original iPhone first gen.

The reason for the yellowish screens is simply because Apple has the brightness setting low. Also...seems they went for a warmer screen tone...than a cooler tone. This is because 3G is blazingly fast and on fire!!!!! and they wanted a warm fire tone! I actually prefer the warmer tone....but increasing the brightness really makes that yellowness go away. Hope this helps everyone!
    Last edited by Irukandji; 07-11-2008 at 02:49 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    because there is so much "wow im so glad i didnt get the 3g today! haha lolz at all of you that did" today, i was one of those, i have a yellow screen and im happy with it.

and no, the yellow screen definetely is not from the "sun" (lol)

and, lol @ "every post". if you click my name, go to "find all posts by Reeko", you can see just how many posts i make are 1st gen vs 3g iphone.

finished??

good, now sit down.
    Well why not just ignore them? You really that hurt by random people you don't know posting that?

And you should brush up on your reading skills; I did say "every post I've seen."

I really wasn't trying to start a flame fest, only stating an observation.

So yes I'm finished, with you. Enjoy your yellow 3g iPhone.

"Thanks" button. Learn it. Use it. Love it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I doesnt have a yellow screen....just increase the brightness in the settings and its back to normal! cmon...common sense people! :

I was pissed when I saw my yellow screen....but putting that brightness all the way up takes care of it. Now when I compare it to my first gen...I can barley notice. has a very slight warmer tone...but barely noticable.

Plus the real reason why Apple did this "warmer tone" is simple. Warm colors are easier on the eyes! Which is why in any car you buy,...the gauges will 99.9 % of the time be red or yellow or orange.

You will never find blue or "cool" gauges in a car from the factory. Apple did it to cut down on eye strain. So Warmer screen tone for 3G = Win!
    Last edited by Irukandji; 07-11-2008 at 02:56 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

i just sold my 1st gen today for 1700 sheqels (~$515) and i hope it will be fixed by the time i come back (2 weeks) cuz i really wanna buy one.. despite the fact that i NEED one haha...

Plus the real reason why Apple did this "warmer tone" is simple. Warm colors are easier on the eyes! Which is why in any car you buy,...the gauges will 99.9 % of the time be red or yellow or orange.

You will never find blue or "cool" gauges in a car from the factory. Apple did it to cut down on eye strain. So Warmer screen tone for 3G = Win!
    Huh.. there's something in what you are saying ;o

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Irukandji View Post

I could be wrong.... but Ford always used to put blue and green gauges in their cars trucks, at least. My dad has had nothing but Ford Ranger's all his life.

My Mazda Speed3 GT has red gauges that can be switched to blue gauges, with intensified colors. Same applies to the RX-8. I guess I just pick out the pretty attractive fast ones that hurt my eyes though.

Otherwise, your point seems valid enough. I'm not one to complain about it. I'm actually sitting here right now looking at my MacBook screen, and it kinda has a yellowish tint to it. I think the 2G was just.... bright. And now that one person pointed it out, we're all just kinda scaring ourselves into think that this is a massive nightmare.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,268 Times in 652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeeDude View Post
    I could be wrong.... but Ford always used to put blue and green gauges in their cars trucks, at least. My dad has had nothing but Ford Ranger's all his life.

My Mazda Speed3 GT has red gauges that can be switched to blue gauges, with intensified colors. Same applies to the RX-8. I guess I just pick out the pretty attractive fast ones that hurt my eyes though.

Otherwise, your point seems valid enough. I'm not one to complain about it. I'm actually sitting here right now looking at my MacBook screen, and it kinda has a yellowish tint to it. I think the 2G was just.... bright. And now that one person pointed it out, we're all just kinda scaring ourselves into think that this is a massive nightmare.
    my take, comparatively 1st gen iphone color > 2nd gen color. every day, yellow looks like pee.

Green Apple
    Thanks

It does look crappy, but did you really notice it until engadget posted it?

Edit:

Either way, i've got it. And aside from the pee-colored screen, i'm content with it. It does what it was advertised to do. I will wait out and see if Apple makes any response to the uproar of the yellow screen of death (Look, they're copying microsoft in a not-so-obvious manor!), and play the rest by ear. Afterall, i've got 2 weeks to play with it until I can't return it any longer. I guess i'm not super pressed on time.
    Last edited by LeeDude; 07-11-2008 at 03:21 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have a "yellow screen". Its not bad though. Its color balance is a little more yellow than d65. Its less yellow than the print industry's D50. Remember that with pictures, the camera decides what is white what is yellow and what is blue with color balancing. D65 is generally accepted, but plenty of people use d75 (too blue for some, but standard white point on alot of tv's and monitors, and most people leave it there)and d50 (very yellow for most but standard for the print industry). Its really not a problem if you aren't looking at them side by side. If it was pink or orange (like some defective monitors) then it would be a problem. But its in the acceptable range for monitor white point.

ps. i dont work for apple, but I am an avid photographer and know tons about white point, white balance and color spaces. And i own both iphones. Hope that puts some concerns to bed.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

HERE IS THE FIX FOR THE YELLOW SCREEN ISSUE

Restore via iTunes to download a new version of the firmware (2.0, 5A347). The colors will look much better after you restore. The shipping firmware on the iPhone 3G is 2.0 5A345. After the restore, the colors will be close to v1 iphone colors.

Post results.

Thanks

well im doin it right now...ill let yall know

Thanks

So... is the price drop in 2 months this time? I think I'll hold out....

Thanks

that great ....hope i dont get mine yellow

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tamakin View Post

Restore via iTunes to download a new version of the firmware (2.0, 5A347). The colors will look much better after you restore. The shipping firmware on the iPhone 3G is 2.0 5A345. After the restore, the colors will be close to v1 iphone colors.

Post results.
    Just did a restore and it did change my version from 5A345 to 5A347. However, it still has an ugly yellow color to it.
    MacBook Pro Penryn 2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB
    iPhone 3GS 16 GB White
    Frankentosh (Quad core 4.0 GHz liquid cooled hackintosh running 10.6.2 vanilla from retail disc)

iPhone? More like MyPhone bomiz96's Avatar
    Thanks

i onlysee it when its next to each other

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My thoughts exactly. I noticed it when i first switched from one iphone to the other. now after using it for a few hours I dont notice it anymore. Its just calibrated to a different white point.

iPhone? More like MyPhone cosmoLV's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes we can see here the New iPhone 3G is Yellow screen... yahhh
    The New 3G iPhone On Left side, Old one on Right
    ====================================

And it's FAT...
    The Old One on Left Side and The New One 3G iPhone on Right

Last edited by cosmoLV; 07-11-2008 at 07:19 PM.
    Carrier: LV LMT
    Runing On FW: 2.0 BL 3.9
    -------------------------------------

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tamakin View Post

Post results.
    Im on 5A347 now.
    nope, no difference, screen still yellow

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bleeditout2130's Avatar
    Thanks

No yellow at all for me...weird.

Thanks

it's like that for computers as well. I think it's personally because the screens are cheap. I recall using my old old old monitor which is in fact bulky and big with speakers attached to the sides and when it first turned on it was a bit dark and yellow as well. I then turn the brightness all the way up high and it got fixed in no time. I think it's because the factory settings are low and easier for those who have a difficult time viewing things in a bright setting. Afterall you can't stare in the sun all day right [;?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Hmm...
    Did anyone notice that the screen is a tad bit smaller??
    Take a really close look. The sides of face of the phone as more black. maybe it could be because the phone is a bit bigger or wider rather..but to me it looks like the screen is smaller

+ Reply
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast