Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PITA AppStore! Work your day around your iphone

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,279 Times in 652 Posts

Default PITA AppStore! Work your day around your iphone

>begin rant>

I am extremely underwhelmed with how the AppStore is functioning. There was a rather large ball dropped along the way here. I'm not talking about paying for apps, I'm talking about the ridiculous sync times. It is necessary to plan your day around syncing your iPhone when adding a large amount of AppStore apps via iTunes.

My Day:

I downloaded around 100 apps from the AppStore via this method using iTunes 7.7. My iPhone is using this version of the 2.0 firmware.

I decided to sync all the apps on the phone at once. 3.5 hours later, the 100 or so apps I loaded have finally finished syncing at a total of 470mb. 3.5 hours for 470mb??!?!?!?! Come on I know usb isn't firewire but this is ridiculous!

I return home mid evening, cook some dinner, and try out many of the apps while taking screenshots on the way so I can post reviews for them. I get through the letter E and decide thats enough for now. I wonder whats the best way to get my screenshots from the phone to the computer so I can post them in app reviews.

The answer suddenly comes to me. Sync them onto my laptop!

I plug in my iPhone and press sync. That was many hours ago. iTunes is still "Backing Up" my iPhone. The pictures have not synced over yet. I am not amused. I would like to write so reviews for ya'll. Reviews without screenies are lame. This sucks.

My Advice. Do no load a large number of Apps at once. While the total space used might not be very large, the process of syncing seems to take forever. I am hopping that maybe the 2.0 firmware we posted today is not the final and an update in the morning will solve this long arduous process. If that is not the case then Apple needs to hurry up and fix this.

Yours Truly,
    irritated

if I am the only one that has experienced this please tell me so I can throw my macbook pro out the window

i had no problem syncing many apps .. something must be wrong on ur end...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kgdadon For This Useful Post:

Cody Overcash (07-11-2008)

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

well then i shall move this to chit chant and loath my computer, or iphone, or cable, or wtvr is going on

Default Why Bother
    I understand your point. However, under normal circumstances, you aren't going to be downloading 100 apps every day. Come on now. Have you tried to simply copy the file system of your iphone to your mac or pc. That takes forever as well. Also, once it's synced once with iTunes, that's it. It won't take but a few moments to sync after that. That being said, I agree with one of the earlier posts, something must be wrong on your end to take "THAT" long.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swinger360 View Post
    I understand your point. However, under normal circumstances, you aren't going to be downloading 100 apps every day. Come on now. Have you tried to simply copy the file system of your iphone to your mac or pc. That takes forever as well. Also, once it's synced once with iTunes, that's it. It won't take but a few moments to sync after that. That being said, I agree with one of the earlier posts, something must be wrong on your end to take "THAT" long.
    it doesnt take more than 45 mins to copy the entire file directory (8gb) over wifi.

syncing 470mb via usb shouldn't take more than 10 mins. Tops. On a bad day.

but the person in post #2 says its only me. *cries*

I went through maybe 2 dozen apps yesterday (nothing close to 100), and aside from the 1st sync/backup being a little longer than ussual, the rest have been quick as ever, even when adding/removing apps.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Every time I sync 2.0 it seems to want to back up the whole iphone, which is what takes the time for me, once that is done adding a few extra apps is pretty quick. 15 minutes is tops for the whole process, but still much longer then on 1.1.4.
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

This is the new version iSuck 2.0 LOL!
    Last edited by one1; 07-11-2008 at 10:18 AM.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

I have just had a few ppl confirm on our IRC that it isn't just me, back to news my rant goes.

My iPhone is a Part of Me pokekid's Avatar
    Thanks

i had no problems. it could be a number of things so ill try a large number of apps.
    SB's is life
    air yeezy's coming soon

wow i added 48 apps to my phone when i got home from the apple store with my phone and that was tedious, but expected....than i plug my phone in tonight to charge the battery since i cant get off it and it pulls the "backing up" crap as well. this suckssssss

i realize i will only have to sit through this once but still...gayness

iPhone? More like MyPhone oldskoolkid13's Avatar
    Thanks

im having the same problem cash, its 3 in the morning and i started syncing my apps at around 1:30 in the morning and it is only just past halfway synced....its ridiculus!!! i decided i am just going to let it run overnight....

If I helped you at all please hit the thanks button 4 me!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Have we possibly forgotten that this process of syncing apps is not just a clean copy? Just like "Installer" these apps are being "installed". Each app has multiple files that are put in various directories. I'm not sure where this happens in the process, but with Installer you download the package and it installs when on the phone. That can take a little while too depending on the size of the app.

Just a thought.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DarkDragonAn's Avatar
    Thanks

I hate how iTune take forever to see my iPhone. Be for my iphone come up in a sec" now I have to wait a 30 sec" to 1 min" and that suck *****, then I can work fine with problem. Other then that I love it.
    Last edited by DarkDragonAn; 07-14-2008 at 10:10 AM.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steveleepete View Post
    wow i added 48 apps to my phone when i got home from the apple store with my phone and that was tedious, but expected....than i plug my phone in tonight to charge the battery since i cant get off it and it pulls the "backing up" crap as well. this suckssssss

i realize i will only have to sit through this once but still...gayness

1 hr and 30 mins into tonights backup. I have added ZERO apps since the backup that inspired me to write this post. It doesnt get better. Its crap.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

it seems to be more pain now to sync than anything else. I see slot of problems with 2.0 and iTunes 7.7

iPhone? More like MyPhone compton,Tx's Avatar
    Thanks

Cash- Could you please update your "device + firmware"? I mean, how else will I know when to upgrade?

what is even more crap is I've struggled for three days each time wasting thirty minutes to sync my contacts and calendar and only to find itunes 7.7 didn't even sync for my 1.1.4 first gen iPhone. You are not alone.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by compton,Tx View Post
    Cash- Could you please update your "device + firmware"? I mean, how else will I know when to upgrade?
    it is now completely up to date. and syncing, i expect it to be done sometime before i wake up tomorrow, but not before i go to sleep

fyi someone remind me never to listen to the ppl that reply first in posts. I was one hundred percent right in the first place and moved this out of news

it's all crap apple fails here

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

cash, thanks to ur post i am SO looking forward to updating to 2.0 and 7.7!

Wow
    apple sucks.
    i love my 1st gen 1.1.4 the more i read

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast