Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Exchange Officially Coming to the iPhone?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,279 Times in 652 Posts

Default Exchange Officially Coming to the iPhone?
    When a professional business user is asked what their number one complaint is about the iPhone, it is that it doesnt support their exchange email. What you didn't know is that it appears that Apple intends to change that, bringing exchange support to the iPhone. ModMyI member obajoba has noticed an interesting job opportunity at Apple for the title of "iPhone Windows Outlook/Exchange QA Eng"

Requisition Number 3161520
    Job title iPhone Windows Outlook/Exchange QA Eng
    Location Santa Clara Valley
    Country United States
    City Cupertino
    State/Province California
    Job type Full Time
    Job description The iPhone Quality team is looking for a motivated, highly-technical Exchange test/sync engineer with excellent problem solving and communication skills. You will join a dynamic team responsible for qualifying the latest iPhone products. Your focus will be testing Exchange and Outlook functionality with Apple’s innovative new phone. The successful candidate will complete both documented and adhoc testing to ensure high quality releases.

Required Experience:
    * BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
    * Firm knowledge of Exchange 2003/2007 including configuration and troubleshooting
    * Ability to investigate and debug difficult problems on Windows
    * Creative thinker and problem solver
    * A passion for user-focused design & high quality technology
    * Comfortable and adaptable in a fast-paced and informal environment
    * Thorough knowledge of the Windows operating systems

Preferred Experience:
    * Thorough knowledge of Mac OS X operating systems
    * Experience with Mail, Calendaring, networking engineering, or QA
    * Experience with automation, scripting, PHP, SQL, or Perl
    * Strong commitment to technical quality assurance as a key part of the development cycle.

It does support exchange, but you just have to have IMAP enabled on the exchange server.

but thats the problem, a lot of IT companies do not want to enable IMAP on their exchange servers, so we are S.O.L.

Default What does this mean?
    what does this mean? what is Exchange used for?

Hopefully one of us will land that job opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by kidkrops View Post

Exchange is, for the most part, a mail client with other things such as calendar, address book, etc... A lot of corporations use this e-mail client for their corporate e-mail. The iPhone supports exchange mail, as long as the exchange server has IMAP turned on. A lot of businesses will not enable IMAP on their exchange servers for security reasons.

This sucks for someone like me who can rarely get to a computer during business hours and USED to have exchange mail on my Blackberry. I've been fighting with my company for about 4 months now about either enabling IMAP or installing a push e-mail client on their server, but they are reluctant to do so.

This is definetly great news for people like me, and I can not wait until that firmware release comes out. This is about the only thing that I am sour at Apple about with their phone.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

One of the main reasons why I bought a second phone the Tilt because of lack of exchange support.
    [IMG]http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr164/sundayduffer/modmyimirrormind.png[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by kidkrops View Post

If you don't know what exchange is then it's unlikely you'll get the job

Quote Originally Posted by Deaky View Post
    If you don't know what exchange is then it's unlikely you'll get the job
    eheheh

http://www.iltuoiphone.it

You could if you want use something like this...which connects to your exchange server and delivers you emails to your phone...i use it and it works well.....

https://www.syncml.biz/sync/user/fac...erspective.jsf

I think you get a 60 day trial and then you can purchase a yearly subscription...

What about OWA / web mail thats still something you can used today.
    DESIMLOCK : Après cette étape qui se fait généralement avec Anysim ( ou unlock par exemple ) vous pourrez mettre votre sim et vous servir de votre iPhone avec le mode téléphonie. Tout sera 100% fonctionnel après cette étape.

yeah but that means you wont be able to use the mail app and you would have to login to the owa each time you want to check your emails...and you would not know when a new email arrives....

Default I use exchange
    Works great, I get both my work exchange mail and gmail in two nicely divided folders on my iphone. The configuration was what had been setup by default, didn't have to bug our admins to change anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Arianiv View Post
    Works great, I get both my work exchange mail and gmail in two nicely divided folders on my iphone. The configuration was what had been setup by default, didn't have to bug our admins to change anything.
    Is your company's exchange server using IMAP? When is this suppose to come out because we all need it. I work part time so I'm not always able to check my company mail and there could be important stuff that I need to be aware of. Is there a way I can have our system forward the exchange mail to my gmail account. I don't mind seeing them together in the same folder. Or at least a free service.

Did you in the end take out a yearly subscription and if so how much was it. I have just installed it tonight and it works well.

John

My firms OWA uses PortWise authentication that requires java support to give the password. Therefore I can't even use OWA nor am I able to forward my mail. Is their any solution to get java support to safari?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Prioryman View Post
    Did you in the end take out a yearly subscription and if so how much was it. I have just installed it tonight and it works well.

John
    I'm still using the synchronica trial. I don't know how long it was supposed to last, but I've been using it since July now. I've also checked on the price of a yearly license and the closest I can find out is about $59.
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9&dateline=1181485574

Default Exchange
    I may be in the wrong area, and if so I apologize in advence.

My iPhone receives and functions perfectly relative to my exchange server at work. This is very recent and I discovered this by pure luck. We recently upgraded to '07 exchange and is has really sucked for my work mail as it has to bounce off our corporate office now and run through cache mode in outlook... but, my iPhone can now pick up and run exchange. This was not previously possible and I am not sure why but must assume it has something to do with the server upgrade? Support for Microsoft Outlook Web Access is now active and I wonder if this doesn't play a part.

My phone can connect flawlessly and I would very much like to get my Macbook online. However, every way I try fails, be it through mail or entourage. Could someone more technically savvy than I please tell me how to make this function on my beloved Macbook. It would be a huge benefit for me to be able to leave my junk windoze box at work and have full access via mac at home. Please... help me if you are able...

Many thanks in advance, and please ask for the info I have ignorantly omitted.

J5