Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Streaming Media to iPhone and iPod Touch with Orb/Simplify Media

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,275 Times in 652 Posts

Default Streaming Media to iPhone and iPod Touch with Orb/Simplify Media
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fi23xSxFcE"]YouTube - Winamp Remote on iPhone[/ame]

Don't you hate how your iPhone and iPod Touch can't store your entire library? Good news, it appears Orb (a winamp media slinger) will soon be compatible with the iPhone.

With this nifty software you'll be able to access all of your movies and music stored on your home PC wherever you are. Best of all, it should be free

Oh and because I know all of you will ask -- No its not released yet, just coming soon.

[thanks ericidel | via theregister]

Edit

For OS X users this has been around for awhile, but might as well mention it here in this thread. Use SimplifyMedia

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0qxs-P6NFQ"]YouTube - Simplify Media for iPhone[/ame]

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

ericidle (12-14-2007)

Neatooooooo

this phone has unlimited amount of possibilities

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,807 Times in 1,227 Posts

Simplify Media will do it for OS X.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

sweet app! does video need to be converted to the correct resolution first before it can be streamed?

Quote Originally Posted by mikejones View Post
    sweet app! does video need to be converted to the correct resolution first before it can be streamed?

Ive used ORB in the past and it will auto convert everything for you when you click the media you want.

Hi Cash

Happy to pass on the news, it looks like a great development for the iphone and thanks for the mention.
    Eric's iPhone 4 4.01 offically unlocked

Default TVersity
    You guys should check out TVersity at www.tversity.com it does kind of the same thing and it supports streaming to the iPhone, Xbox360, PS3, and a lot of other devices.

I takes a lot of patience since you might have to play around with the settings to get it to work with your device, also you need to install all the codecs but once you have it set it works nicely.
    Last edited by wisecat74; 12-14-2007 at 02:20 PM.

i cant wait to go home and try TVersity! thanks

I have been using it for a few days now. its pretty much set up for the iphone already, minus the conversion of mp4. You can play all of you media on your iphone, (but Video must be in mp4 ) with the greatest of ease. Everyone should go ahead and give it a try. pretty nice interface, with no need for install on iphone, just uses safari, and its pretty responsive even over edge. Have Fun
    Last edited by imstill@g; 12-14-2007 at 01:52 PM. Reason: remembered about video needs

Were about to have infinite gigabyte iPhones!

Cool Streaming
    Yes nice but does it play one song after another, say in a playlist? Or am I going to have to go through the clicky-clicky on my iphone each time a song runs through to the end?

Official MMI Troll with an Attitude Digitol's Avatar
    Thanks

shareware Signal does this for mac as well: http://www.alloysoft.com/

I hope they attempt to include Satelite radio onto this. I remember going throught a long process for Sirius and never even getting it to work, but it would be nice to have it with this...

Quote Originally Posted by imstill@g View Post
    I have been using it for a few days now. its pretty much set up for the iphone already, minus the conversion of mp4. You can play all of you media on your iphone, (but Video must be in mp4 ) with the greatest of ease. Everyone should go ahead and give it a try. pretty nice interface, with no need for install on iphone, just uses safari, and its pretty responsive even over edge. Have Fun
    True, I am currently listening to some songs and waiting to see what happens at the end of it. Will it move to the next song in the list or just stop? I will also test the "play all" and "shuffle" features and report back.

Report:
    1. If you select a single song, it stops at the end of that song.
    2. If you choose to "Play All" withing any category (e.g. Genre, Artist, Album), it continues to play to the following songs.
    3. f you choose "Shuffle" within any category (e.g. Genre, Artist, Album), it continues to play to the following songs.
    4. You cannot skip forward to the next song, trying to move back one song will get you back to the initial song of the category.
    5. I is not reading my MP3 tags correctly, most likely due to the tag version I'm using.
    6. I'll post more as I figure it out.

UPDATE:
    As I mentioned above it works great for playing songs, videos must be M4V or MP4, to play on the iPhone. As for playing in the 360 or the PS3, I was unable to get it to work. I think is was due to the transcoder not working with the FFDSHOW codecs I have installed. I don't want to start messing around with the codecs, I took me quite some time to get averything to work with TVersity.

On a positive note, as I was testing video via Orb and TVersity I notice that some of my videos didn't want to play in the 360 but it said that "an update was needed to play this media", I did the update and now my videos play in full screen and I can FF, RW, Pause, skip to next chapter (10 minutes) ahead and even stop the movie and come back later and it will offer you to resume playing and it rememers where it was the last time.

So now I use:

TVersity for:
    - Videos at home, over the internet and iPhone.
    - Music at home and over the internet.

Orb for:
    - Music on the iPhone and internet.

Sorry for the long post but since a lot of you guys do such a great job providing us wih as much info as possible and put in some hard worh with all these apps and hacks, I think is only fair that I report all I learned about this.
    Last edited by wisecat74; 12-18-2007 at 07:31 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

thats awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by ajl917 View Post
    I hope they attempt to include Satelite radio onto this. I remember going throught a long process for Sirius and never even getting it to work, but it would be nice to have it with this...
    This is probably what you are talking about and is used with Orb. I have been using it for over a week now. Here is a link to the instructions:
    http://modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19345

You must have a Sirius account for this to work. The process takes 15-20 minutes but is well worth it imo. It does cut out once in a while but if you have a good signal it will go on for over a hour easy.

Cheers!
    Last edited by BeerMan; 12-14-2007 at 04:59 PM.
    BeerMan

iPhone? More like MyPhone GreggSymington's Avatar
    Thanks

ORB has worked since the iPhone came out. They added an iPhone looking interface about 2 months ago. It's ok, changing stream is a pain.

Default Correction...
    Quote Originally Posted by Digitol View Post
    shareware Signal does this for mac as well: http://www.alloysoft.com/
    Signal does not do this, unfortunately. It does control media libraries for playback, but it plays back on that computer, not on the iPhone itself.

Well since I cant go back to 1.1.1 on my phone this will have to do

i been using winamp remote to stream my movies from pc to iphone just convert them to mp4 and it works perfect

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast