+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: iPhone SDK 8, Firmware 2.0 Beta 8, and iTunes 7.7 seeded to Developers

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Looks like the cat and mouse game for 2.0 firmware has begun...
...
  1. #21
    Livin the iPhone Life ajl917's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,934
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 275 Times in 211 Posts

    Looks like the cat and mouse game for 2.0 firmware has begun...

  2. #22
    Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In Michigan And Florida
    Posts
    6,532
    Thanks
    3,595
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

    I am trying to decide if I should buy the new one or not... from what I am seeing the 3g is not in my area and in Michigan it is only offered in the bigger cities.....

    So if I did buy it I would be paying more for the 3g and would not be able to use it..... what a rip!

    I have a 8 gig right now... if I didn't buy the new one I wish I would have bought the 16 gig now....

  3. #23
    iPhone? More like MyPhone mfleigle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    291
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 30 Times in 25 Posts

    I know this isnt the correct place to ask this, but I didnt want to start a new thread: Other than 3G, and GPS is there any other difference between the 1G and 2G? (I am talking about the internals not the iPhones form)

    The only reason I ask is that I do not get 3G at my house and the nearest location is 30 miles away, and I am very happy with the accuracy of Google Maps. (And there is the fact that I am still paying off the $600 I paid last year)
    Last edited by mfleigle; 06-28-2008 at 11:28 AM.

  4. #24
    Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Earth.
    Posts
    2,370
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 463 Times in 270 Posts

    3G, GPS, Flush headphone jack, and a different casing. The rest is essentially the same. Same screen, same camera, same OS/Software.

    Oh yeah, I think the speakers got upgraded a bit too.

    I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

  5. #25
    Green Apple l0uisz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    good info! Can't wait till the hacked version of 2.0 =D
    Username : l0uisz
    Device: 16GB iPhone [2G]
    Firmware: 2.2 [ FULLY UNLOCKED ]
    OS:Vista Premium / Win XP( for now )

  6. #26
    Green Apple sk8ertim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kimri, Russia
    Posts
    66
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Is the 2.0 A2DP active?
    Cause I WANT THE BLUETOOTH!

  7. #27
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    138
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 16 Times in 8 Posts

    I just got the latest beta, it's AMAZING!
    Talking to the songbird yesterday...

  8. #28
    Moderator Nicholas Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Va
    Posts
    1,243
    Thanks
    79
    Thanked 310 Times in 170 Posts

    So how are people liking the beta so far?

  9. #29
    What's Jailbreak? Iphone610's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    also i love my jailbroken phone for the fact i can apply themes and vwallpaper etc.. can we do this on the new firmware without jailbreaking it again? Using apps liek customizer and smbprefs?

  10. #30
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    its out in the torrents now, anyone install it yet?

  11. #31
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    196
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by coalpha View Post
    its out in the torrents now, anyone install it yet?
    Yep I tried it. It works surprisingly so far as I can tell

  12. #32
    Green Apple ricardofelixb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts

    awesome, im gonna upgrade the SDK tomorrow

  13. #33
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    67
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Installed beta 8. Mixed feelings so far. Exchange works nicely with my corporate system. Dead simple to configure and the main features just "work" (push style). Except that apparently they left out the ability to schedule a meeting and invite people to it. Any business user worth his salt will be disappointed. Blackberry can do this.

    Also, now that I have my corporate contacts I've noticed some performance problems. Certain parts of the UI just hang for several seconds. I'm assuming it's because of my 500+ contacts, but I suppose it could be some "push" activity happening behind the scenes? Don't know for sure, but if anything I think UI performance is decreased in general.

    Also, still no landscape keyboard for email. I can't believe they haven't added this, but hopefully someone can code up a 3rd party app.

    I'm worried about battery life with push email. But I'll need more time with it to understand whether it's a real issue.

    PS: I've also tried the 802.1x and it works well with my corporate wireless. Unfortunately the Cisco IPSec isn't something I can try because my IT department won't give me the group authentication password, and there's apparently no way to import a Cisco profile definition (with includes the encrypted password). Too bad.

  14. #34
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    196
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by aperry View Post
    Installed beta 8. Mixed feelings so far. Exchange works nicely with my corporate system. Dead simple to configure and the main features just "work" (push style). Except that apparently they left out the ability to schedule a meeting and invite people to it. Any business user worth his salt will be disappointed. Blackberry can do this.

    Also, now that I have my corporate contacts I've noticed some performance problems. Certain parts of the UI just hang for several seconds. I'm assuming it's because of my 500+ contacts, but I suppose it could be some "push" activity happening behind the scenes? Don't know for sure, but if anything I think UI performance is decreased in general.

    Also, still no landscape keyboard for email. I can't believe they haven't added this, but hopefully someone can code up a 3rd party app.

    I'm worried about battery life with push email. But I'll need more time with it to understand whether it's a real issue.

    PS: I've also tried the 802.1x and it works well with my corporate wireless. Unfortunately the Cisco IPSec isn't something I can try because my IT department won't give me the group authentication password, and there's apparently no way to import a Cisco profile definition (with includes the encrypted password). Too bad.
    Good writeup mate.

  15. #35
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    67
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by haibane View Post
    Good writeup mate.

    Got the IPSec VPN working too. Not much to test here, other than to say it seems to work nicely.

    Slightly off-topic: One google search reveals how easy it is to crack Cisco encrypted group passwords. It's kind of scary really. My IT department wouldn't be happy with me, but I'm tempted to show them just how easy this is. The worst part is that the stored user password (which I think is often your corporate password) is also easily cracked by the same tool. Yikes. You could, for example, borrow someone's laptop, navigate to the "profiles" folder, copy the encrypted password into the web tool and you can have their password within 5 seconds.

    PS: I'm not a hacker and I certainly have no idea what's happening behind the scenes here, but it seems like a huge security risk especially considering this is a VPN tool focused on security in the first place.

  16. #36
    iPhone? More like MyPhone cosmoLV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Latvia, riga
    Posts
    192
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 28 Times in 23 Posts

    i installed beta 8 and so far i'm from Latvia and not have AT&T and connot activate or unlock i'm stuck on beta 8 for one day...
    spend all night to find the way how to downgrade new baseband and get back to 1.1.4
    finaly i got it i'm back to 1.1.4 and downgrade baseband 04.05.04_G to 04.04.05_G
    it's not so easy for now, but way what i found is wery easy ============================================
    About decrypting beta 8 ram disk - its on the way, the method is little bit diferent. But we are hard working on this. We also hawe one click unlock solution for all firmwares including beta 7
    For now hard work on beta 8
    Country: Latvia
    Carrier: LV LMT
    Runing On FW: 2.0 BL 3.9
    -------------------------------------

  17. #37
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    67
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Wow, battery usage appears significantly increased with push enabled. Similar to Windows Mobile (I once had a PPC6700), it seems that the more emails you get, the more quickly the battery runs down. Not surprisingly I guess because it's using the same technology, but it seems pretty significant to me. For the last two nights I went to bed with somewhere around 50% battery and woke up with the phone dead. Wireless is off. Each night I probably received somewhere around 20 emails.

    I think one of the first apps I'll be looking for is a home screen button to easily turn "push" on and off.

  18. #38
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    196
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by aperry View Post
    Wow, battery usage appears significantly increased with push enabled. Similar to Windows Mobile (I once had a PPC6700), it seems that the more emails you get, the more quickly the battery runs down. Not surprisingly I guess because it's using the same technology, but it seems pretty significant to me. For the last two nights I went to bed with somewhere around 50% battery and woke up with the phone dead. Wireless is off. Each night I probably received somewhere around 20 emails.

    I think one of the first apps I'll be looking for is a home screen button to easily turn "push" on and off.
    I have found this out too. Not sure about phone dying over night, but the push sounds about right. The thing I have issues with is its a hair laggy at times.

  19. #39
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    aperry,

    Did you need IT to give you any info or allow your iPhone to connect to Exchange Server? I'm wondering if it will work by just entering the proper account info into the iPhone.
    Thanks

  20. #40
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    67
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by macphanatic View Post
    aperry,

    Did you need IT to give you any info or allow your iPhone to connect to Exchange Server? I'm wondering if it will work by just entering the proper account info into the iPhone.
    Thanks
    I did not need them to enable anything, but I did need to track down the "Group Secret"which you'll see in the IPSec version of VPN settings. If you have the encrypted version of this then you can crack it quite easily by doing a google search.

    Hope this helps.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts