Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: VOIP on iPod Touch

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,807 Times in 1,227 Posts

Default VOIP on iPod Touch
    Erica Sadun reports that hacker eok has successfully ported SvSIP (a VOIP solution using the SIP protocol, written by Samuel) to the iPod Touch. This is a big step! Of course this means iPhone as well, if not with the exact same version, perhaps a slightly modified one.

AT&T won't be too happy about this one... VOIP will allow unlimited calls while on WiFi. Of course, this is still in development, so a polished app is a bit off, depending on how quick they work on it, but this is a huge step.

TUAW

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

alex2k10 (12-12-2007), phokingtim (12-10-2007)

I didnt realize the ipod touch had a microphone.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

This app is from the same guy who created the amplified mic to plug in to the iPod Touch.

http://touchmods.blog.com/

what does this mean?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

VOIP is voice over IP, which means in this case that if you had it working on the iPod Touch with a mic that worked, you could make unlimited free calls whenever you were connected to a WiFi network.

Great News Much Respect To Any One Involved This Is Going To Be Revolutionary For The Iphone!

Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Thanks

Well i guess its a good thing im buying my girlfriend an ipod touch lol
    iLive an iLife

So basically once this is modded for the iphone, we could pretty much get free calls whenever were on wifi and not have to use our minutes?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to XvXCutsmanXvX For This Useful Post:

detlefs (12-10-2007)

Default Great work.
    This is indeed great news, but if I am not mistaken, you can't really call anyone that isn't a VoIp user, right?

WHooty WHoooo!!!!!!!!

wow.... I use voip/sip as my home line which i paid $2.50 a month for (paid annually) through vbuzzer. I guess now when I'm on the go or travelling and I'm in a hotspot all I have to do is disable my PAP device at home and I can make/receive calls. Now that's pimp. Usually I disable my PAP device at home then use the vbuzzer client on my laptop to make and receive calls when I travel. I'm going to really enjoy this one

Quote Originally Posted by kowlier View Post
    This is indeed great news, but if I am not mistaken, you can't really call anyone that isn't a VoIp user, right?
    sure you could! I do it all the time with my voip line at home.
    Last edited by jmeelo; 12-10-2007 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

my friend uses Skype VOIP and she calls my cell phone from her desktop @ work... so you should be able to anywhere .. as long as you are in WIFI..

i'm not too familiar with voip with phones. does this mean unlimited calling just in the nation or anywhere? i'm in seattle, and i racked up quite a bill calling to canada, would this voip be of any benefit? i made these calls at home and i have a wifi network at home.

i'm not too familiar with voip with phones. does this mean unlimited calling just in the nation or anywhere? i'm in seattle, and i racked up quite a bill calling to canada, would this voip be of any benefit? i made these calls at home and i have a wifi network at home.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

VOIP would be to anywhere, yup.

oh lord have mercy! proceeding to perform pelvic thrusts in my office chair.

in that case, does tmobile offer a 100 minute plan, because thats all i would need, everywhere else i make calls, at home, at the gym, at work, in restaurants, they are all loaded with public accessible wifi

*still thrusting the pelvic region as i'm typing this*

Quote Originally Posted by iphonerox View Post
    really depends on your providers rate. For me I have a 416 (toronto area code) number from vbuzzer. Let's say if I'm down in the US or elsewhere in the world for that matter. Any calls I make to Toronto are free of charge because it's considered a local call. I also have a special long distance rate for calls made in North America so that would apply.

For you, if you call often to Canada (or a specific area code) get a voip telephone number for that area code. That way any number you call with the same area code is considered local and free.

really depends on your providers rate. For me I have a 416 (toronto area code) number from vbuzzer. Let's say if I'm down in the US or elsewhere in the world for that matter. Any calls I make to Toronto are free of charge because it's considered a local call. I also have a special long distance rate for calls made in North America so that would apply.

For you, if you call often to Canada (or a specific area code) get a voip telephone number for that area code. That way any number you call with the same area code is considered local and free.

I'm really excited about this news. I hardly use any minutes within any given month so this is perfect. I hope this doesn't take more than a few weeks to complete.

VOIP works basically like a Telco land line, you pick up the phone and call anywhere in the world ( if you have an International calling plan) the average monthly service charge is 15$ and the calls because using the broadband cable rather than the standard Telco phone lines are much much cheaper, for 15$ you get 500 min a month domestic and per call International in the range of 4 to 26 cents with some countries like UK and Canada free ( they count toward domestic minutes), some are opting for a cell phone as home phone ( used at home or work) connecting through WIFI, but can be used only in proximity of the router provided by the carrier.
    Last edited by elfribo; 12-10-2007 at 02:31 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast