+ Reply
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: T-Mobile Relocks iPhones in Germany

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
After Vodafone attacked T-Mobile, they agreed to sell unlocked iPhones until the decision was made by the courts as to their rights in selling locked iPhones only. Well, the decision
...
  1. #1
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tampa, Florida, United States
    Posts
    8,475
    Thanks
    569
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

    Default T-Mobile Relocks iPhones in Germany
    After Vodafone attacked T-Mobile, they agreed to sell unlocked iPhones until the decision was made by the courts as to their rights in selling locked iPhones only.

    Well, the decision has come back, and it looks like T-Mobile is locking their iPhones back up. The German courts have overturned the injunction by Vodafone, and its back to locked up business as usual.

    BBC News
    .


    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

    kidkrops (12-04-2007)

  3. #2
    Super Moderator dale1v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,786
    Thanks
    335
    Thanked 394 Times in 268 Posts

    Ouch.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to dale1v For This Useful Post:

    kidkrops (12-04-2007)

  5. #3
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Since the phones with the new bootloader were made for the unlocked versions of the iphones, does this mean that a new firmmware is in the works?

    i've been reading that the only way hackers will unlock otb 1.1.2 iphones running the new bootlader was when a new firmware/uprade was released, IS THIS TRUE?
    Last edited by kidkrops; 12-04-2007 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  6. #4
    Retired Moderator DoerrFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,291
    Thanks
    143
    Thanked 461 Times in 229 Posts


    Least French iPhone are unlocked

  7. #5
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    181
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 20 Times in 14 Posts

    Default ,,.
    what about the people who already bought the unlocked version? they cant just say sorry well refund you over $1000 and you have to sign a contract...

  8. #6
    Livin the iPhone Life iphonejeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,339
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 70 Times in 62 Posts

    damn there greedy...
    mod edit, old signature removed

  9. #7
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default This is good
    there fone is lock so there is more need of a unlock tool for the new fiirm now they will join the fight to get the fone unlock like us in the usa

  10. #8
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    108
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    so what happen to the folks who actually bought one? will their's remain unlock? and can they still use it with the German T-Mobile?

    Honestly, I pray that the iPhone will remain an exclusive to AT&T forever. I really enjoy this iPhone scene thing. The Dev team and many other individuals are making it actually worth to have an unlocked iphone. If the iphone becomes open to any carrier, then it won't be fun anymore.

    Remember the Razr?

  11. #9
    Green Apple maritimeswimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Default What are you talking about mate?
    Hey Mate i really think you should read and think twice before posting a comment here. this is a website that is united to fight apple back by getting the iphone unlocked.

    the iphone its the best cell phone and in my opinion the iphone its even better than even some notebooks.

    Mate i still cant believe they let you post your comment here! i guess in some way you are right. but still the fight is on and we the unlockers are going to win it. we need to!

    This is by far the worst way apple can treat their costumers " old loyal costumers" like me. I have been buying apple since my mom showed me my first computer. and btw it was an apple computer and since then I' ve been buying apple and I' am still buying apple products. but still there is more people like me where we hate how apple is treating us specially us in small developing countries like Panama where we want the iPhone.

    I' am the only one in the Republic of Panama who is giving technical support to the iPhone and I' am teaching others hackers how to break into the system its not because i want to damage apples iPhone, its because i want the Phone to be free like any other mobile or computer.

    And Btw the iphone is not legal to sell it here and i risk my arse bringing it here because i just love the faces of my costumers when they learn about apple and how they react to such a great and beautiful device as the iPhone.

    They iPhone should be free as any other computer in the world, it isn't to them to tell us with which carrier we can use it. after all they wouldnt be who they are without us the Costumers!!!

    Well win this war Lads!!!!

    Sincerely yours
    Maritimeswimmer

    Cheers!!!!

    PS: I' am really sorry dash by posting my comment here where prolly its not suitable, but still you gotta understand me that i feel so bad for what apple its doing to us and how they are treating us. i just cant keep my mouth Quite!!!

    lads it just sucks that they want to brick us every single time that we try to use Their Software updates. as if we weren't a legit apple costumer. they are treating us like we are a weird thing and the fact is that most of us paid the same or even higher price for their great device. and i just which Steve Jobs could read this and realize how bad he is looking in-front of us and the world.

    Steve if you read this Please free the Phone!!!!

    Cheers!!!
    Last edited by maritimeswimmer; 12-05-2007 at 12:36 AM. Reason: grammar mistakes

  12. #10
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    34
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts

    then go to france, unlocked iPhones are cheaper and still legal!

  13. #11
    I'm not a star Imahottguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MI, USA
    Posts
    2,440
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 164 Times in 143 Posts

    Sucks for those who paid €999 for an unlocked iPhone. Unless apple does an OTA update, it can't be locked- unless updated via iTunes. Perhaps this will force an impromtu release of 1.1.3?

  14. #12
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by maritimeswimmer View Post
    Hey Mate i really think you should read and think twice before posting a comment here. this is a website that is united to fight apple back by getting the iphone unlocked.

    Mate i still cant believe they let you post your comment here! i guess in some way you are right. but still the fight is on and we the unlockers are going to win it. we need to!
    Sir, anyone can post whatever they like in here. It's a discussion board to discuss the different opinions regarding the iPhone.

    Quote Originally Posted by maritimeswimmer View Post
    This is by far the worst way apple can treat their costumers " old loyal costumers" like me. I have been buying apple since my mom showed me my first computer. and btw it was an apple computer and since then I' ve been buying apple and I' am still buying apple products. but still there is more people like me where we hate how apple is treating us specially us in small developing countries like Panama where we want the iPhone.
    First of all, Apple isn't disrespecting anyone by locking their phone. They are a business and this is the way they see fit as to make the iPhone the most profitable. Yes, most will agree that this sucks. But as of now, that's how it stands. But I'm not anti-Apple because of this. You shouldn't be either. You think they're going to go back into their records...find that your mom bought a computer in 1988...then give you an unlocked iPhone because of it? Let be serious here.

    It's not just small developing countries that are being left out. I'm in Canada. They don't sell it here. Look at Japan. A technology-driven country and they don't sell them there. Only 4 countries sell them. So trust me, Apple isn't trying to stick it to you.


    Quote Originally Posted by maritimeswimmer View Post
    I' am the only one in the Republic of Panama who is giving technical support to the iPhone and I' am teaching others hackers how to break into the system its not because i want to damage apples iPhone, its because i want the Phone to be free like any other mobile or computer.
    Good for you!

    Quote Originally Posted by maritimeswimmer View Post
    And Btw the iphone is not legal to sell it here and i risk my arse bringing it here because i just love the faces of my costumers when they learn about apple and how they react to such a great and beautiful device as the iPhone.
    Sir, if it's not "legal" to bring a cell phone into Panama, why would you risk your "arse" for it?

    Quote Originally Posted by maritimeswimmer View Post
    lads it just sucks that they want to brick us every single time that we try to use Their Software updates. as if we weren't a legit apple costumer. they are treating us like we are a weird thing and the fact is that most of us paid the same or even higher price for their great device. and i just which Steve Jobs could read this and realize how bad he is looking in-front of us and the world.
    Oy. Dude, whether Apple is intentionally bricking iPhones is questionable. It's more the unlock we put on them. They're not "proper" unlocks. If we had a true unlock, they would survive the bricking when firmware updates were applied.

    You need to calm down because it seems you're getting way to worked up about this.

  15. #13
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    108
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    LOL. I can't believe you're an apple supporter. Btw, apple is locking the iPhone because they have an exclusive contract with at&t.

    What you do in your country is none of my business.

    All I'm saying is, if the iPhone remains locked, the "iPhone hack community" will thrive more and more. Its more fun to learn about a process/write a program that could be shared with other.

    Lets face it. You wouldnt even dream of any of the things that could be done on the iphone if it wasnt locked.

  16. #14
    Green Apple maritimeswimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    yeah i guess you are right!!!

    that is why is so important to unlock it!!

    and btw its not my country iam just the guy who sells ifones in the whole latin american/carribean south american region.

    I am not pissed at apple iam just pissed that they made the contract with att and forgot about the rest of the world. they are more costumers outside the US than in the US.

    ohh well after all iam just a small guy trying to make a difference in this region, showing the people what a great product like this can do on improving their lives!!!

    do you get me old chap!

    and btw why do i risk my arse lol good question after all I' am just doing free publicity for apple. maybe i should stop but you know i don' t its because i really believe on this product and i believe that this product can improve someone's life by making it easier and less complicated specially for those who are businessman, etc!!!

    anyways i see the iphone as a business tool not to make business by selling it here! i see it as a partner that can make everyones life easier!!

    Cheers, ehh!!!

  17. #15
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I see what he means though. I have AT&T and I still want my iPhone unlocked even though I have my contract. My view on it, I would have to agree that having it locked to one carrier does make it more interesting. It forces you to learn a little about the phone in order to unlock it yourself and if they were just unlocked out of the box than it would take away some of the glory of having an unlocked phone. I don't agree with the way apple seems to be going to extreme lengths to keep them locked, but I enjoy bragging about my unlocked phone because it is something that I did (with the help of everyone here and the DEV team of course). Its like changing the oil in your car. You get dirtier than if you just took it to get it done, but you can be proud that it is something that you did.

    As for T-mobile...I am curious if anyone has tried to use one of the T-Mobile germany iPhones in the US on our T-Mobile network???

  18. #16
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    68
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by titeo View Post
    You wouldnt even dream of any of the things that could be done on the iphone if it wasnt locked.
    I disagree there. Even if the phone itself was unlocked, people would still want more applications on it, and the community would still thrive. We would just see less threads about people bricking their iPhones trying to unlock it. I for one would welcome such a day.

  19. #17
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Miami, Fl
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    nice discussion going on here.....
    both titeo and maritimeswimmer made great points.

    I'm in Canada, have a lot of apple products (laptops, nanos, ipods etc) & feel a bit slighted by Apple too. the outlook of the company have changed a bit since I discovered how much better macs were to pcs (approx 4yrs ago) IMO. the things that made Apple products stand out to me was the open source (sort of) approach to everything. True plug and play; everything integrated or a few mods here and there and boom! you're in business!

    the lockdown project on the iphone only hurts the consumer at the end of the day.
    yes, they sold 800,000 +iphones on launch and millions more since then but, they could have sold that by the hour (stock permitting) if they hadn't gotten into bed with AT&T from the get go. maybe that isn't the interest of Apple on a corporate level but, honestly...i can't imagine that making as much $$$ and keeping shareholders happy isn't the #1 priority. not too mention owning the market.

    This isn't a vent about Canada's situation either. (that has more to do with Rogers' monopoly anyway).

    I still love Apple, dont get me wrong. I'm just a bit nervous. The bigger they get, the more and more I wonder if they will soon be the IBM of the future (from a hardware perspective).

  20. #18
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    108
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kloan View Post
    I disagree there. Even if the phone itself was unlocked, people would still want more applications on it, and the community would still thrive. We would just see less threads about people bricking their iPhones trying to unlock it. I for one would welcome such a day.
    well travelbytommy hitted the nail on the head for me. its all about fun and probably uniqueness. if the phone was unlocked out of the box, the community wouldn't be what it is today. most people will lose interest in trying to keep up with the latest fw update or having a new theme. its the "lock" that makes it so much enjoyable and intriguing.

    and i will be honest too, the reason i bought an iphone was because it was locked. i saw on the news about geohot being the single person on the planet with the first unlocked iphone. that piece of news really intrigued me and sparked my interest.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts