+ Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Almost everything you wanted to know about the 3G Iphone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
For 3G connectivity I am using a HSDPA USB modem with a 3G SIM card, and hook it to my Dlink 3G Mobile Router, which will give me a WiFi
    Green Apple
    Thanks

For 3G connectivity I am using a HSDPA USB modem with a 3G SIM card, and hook it to my Dlink 3G Mobile Router, which will give me a WiFi connection for all notebook and PC as well as all iPhones and a 3G speed. Sometimes, I plug a Sierra Wireless 875 card into the router, which give same connectivity as well.

I have seen some new sample codes of iPhone beta 7, including SpeakHere, LocateMe, MoviePlayer etc which indicate enhanced features.

Having all these, I still wanted to sell my 1st gen 8GB iPhone and waiting to buy the 3G black 16GB iPhone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sabanir View Post
    Seriously, Why would I want to buy this? I have a jailbroken original 8 gig. What would be my motivation to upgrade?
    3g? (Plently of wi-fi around)
    GPS? (sounds like a joke, I have navizon)
    MMS? (LMAO!)

WOW, A product that IMHO was better the first time around. And I used to work for the company!

Way to flop Cupertino!
    yeap. my thoughts exactly. Not to mention that fact tha whole " you must sign a 2year on tha dotted line deal "

GPS...LOL.. is useless. why the **** would you want that? I guess everyone lives in No Man's land and needs to now how to get to Longitude 35 Altitude 2000.

Also i think you missed one burning question.

GoPhone Pick your Plan users.

Will we be able to use the phone? Or not? I guess no one really knows, its just speculation at best until the 11th.

LOL @ some of you clowns, who are telling people not to complain. Why wouldchu want to pay money for something that you dont like. You have the right to your own opinion but dont try and silence the people who want to get the FULL Bang for their BUCK.
    Last edited by ChrisfromthaDtothaPHX; 06-14-2008 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

lol @ this thread.

when a groundbreaking app comes out that requires 3g connectivity or wifi to use, the 1st gen iphone will be useless.

slingbox on the iphone is enough by itself to make me switch, if you dont know what slingbox is google it.

you cant do that over edge, lol

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

u can sell the old iphone overseas ( a non iphone country, eastern europe) im sellin mine (8) to a freind for 400$ in poland. that means i can buy the 16gb and cover texting (200, i dont txt that much) for almost the hole contraact

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

No MMS or video in 2.0 what is Job's smokin.......

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bleeditout2130's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sabanir View Post
    Seriously, Why would I want to buy this? I have a jailbroken original 8 gig. What would be my motivation to upgrade?
    3g? (Plently of wi-fi around)
    GPS? (sounds like a joke, I have navizon)
    MMS? (LMAO!)

WOW, A product that IMHO was better the first time around. And I used to work for the company!

Way to flop Cupertino!
    Wow, bitter about your old company?

Why would I want to buy this? Let's see, I had an 8GB jailbroken and all. I was able to sell it this past week for $370. I'll be getting the new 16GB iPhone the day it comes out. So, after taxes, I'll pocket maybe $50 to get twice the hard drive and on a 3G network.

Ever try to use OrbLive on the current one? In essence I am getting $50 to get the 3G network and double my hard drive.....what's the tough decision there???

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ripped53 View Post
    No MMS or video in 2.0 what is Job's smokin.......

My thoughts exactly.. I just dont get it.. makes NO sense to me why they would not include MMS at a minimum. Pisses me off.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 3G iphone
    Well from all the information that i was able to gather....the new 3g iphone will not be for sale outright as of right now. The only way to get one is you will have to renew your two year agreement or sign a new one. Or be eligable for an upgrade? Pretty much since AT&T is paying $200 of the phones price when you sign a contract. You will not be able to cancel your contract untill you return your phone to an AT&T store. You will also not be able to use it on a pay as you go basis either. The new 3g will run just a couple secs slower that most wifi spots and for some reason it will drain the battery more on wifi that on the 3g network. Also the data plans for the iphone will be the same as all of AT&T's PDA phones. The 1st gen iphone data plans were the best for the price, so now they want to make some of their money back that they payed for your phone. I hope i have been able to answer some questions about this.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I heard you have to turn over your iPhone when you upgrade, is that true?
    Naw, you bought it, it's yours to hang on to. But if you bought one within Apple's grace period, they'll let you upgrade it free. (More on that below.) But if you bought an original iPhone early on -- which means half of your two year contract is about up -- know that when you buy an iPhone 3G you'll be re-upping that two year contract from date of purchase. So if you buy an iPhone 3G on day one, your new contract will expire on July 11th, 2010.
    So I went to AT&T today to inquire about the deal with the contract. They informed me that my 2 year agreement is currently not up until July 2011. They said the only way I can get a 3G iPhone is if i'm eligible for an upgrade. Problem is i'm not eligible. The only way around it is to cancel my current agreement and sign back up for a new one, getting the 3G iPhone. Are AT&T employees uninformed, or is this true?

[Edit] 2010, not 2011. I've lost all sense of time, I think insanity is kicking in and running its course. I'm doomed.... unless iPhones come pre-equipped with onboard antibiotics and caffeine. [/Edit]
    Last edited by LeeDude; 06-15-2008 at 04:19 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 98camaro View Post
    Yea, buy it at full price.
    So you think we will be able to buy the phone at full price without signing into a full three year contract? I'm moving overseas...

Any thoughts on whether I will be able to pay full price for the hardware and use it with my sim card overseas (in Taiwan)? Or will I need to look for a new iPhone on the blackmarket, and then wait for hackers to unlock the software for my use?!
    My current phone's toast and I want an iPhone!

Uko
    Thanks

I'm going to sell my old one for $300

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bleeditout2130's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeeDude View Post
    So I went to AT&T today to inquire about the deal with the contract. They informed me that my 2 year agreement is currently not up until July 2011. They said the only way I can get a 3G iPhone is if i'm eligible for an upgrade. Problem is i'm not eligible. The only way around it is to cancel my current agreement and sign back up for a new one, getting the 3G iPhone. Are AT&T employees uninformed, or is this true?
    I'm going to go with uninformed here. They'll probably just extend your current contract for 2 years. With all of the current contracts out there and people who will be "upgrading" to the 3G, it would make no sense for them to limit who can spend an additional $200-$300 for the new phone. They'd lose out.

Thanks

I think 1 year to come out with a new, or even slightly different model of an already popular phone is great. If you look at other phones like the htc ppcs they dont change a whole lot when they come out with new models...
    Last edited by FliP76; 06-15-2008 at 12:46 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Will the 3g replace wifi or can you still pick up wifi hot spots? And since we might have to activate in store how would we be able to jailbreak? if jailbreaking will be possible.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atorres062 View Post
    Will the 3g replace wifi or can you still pick up wifi hot spots? And since we might have to activate in store how would we be able to jailbreak? if jailbreaking will be possible.
    No, if anything, 3G is a replacement for EDGE. Wifi will more than likely stay the same as it is now.

Jailbreaking/unlocking has nothing to do with the phone, it's all about the firmware. The new firmware will probably be jailbroken, but then you get into the new system Apple has in place.

Seems like they will have their eye on everything that's going on with the phone. So who knows if they'll be able to detect jailbroken phones, preventing people from... who knows.

I'm sticking with the first gen. Just not worth it.
    "Thanks" button. Learn it. Use it. Love it.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Default 1st or 2nd generation?
    so there is really no point of buying a 3g? Now the 1st iPhone gen. will be upgraded to 2.0 and possibly jailbroken but apple might detect it and...what? I really don't care for the 3g speed, I have a 4gb I'm only wanting a 16gb for more media space. And if the 3g is jailbreakable how will we be able to jailbreak it without restoring it? What do most of you experts recommend 1st or 2nd gen.? Remember, I just want more gig for more music.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atorres062 View Post
    so there is really no point of buying a 3g? Now the 1st iPhone gen. will be upgraded to 2.0 and possibly jailbroken but apple might detect it and...what? I really don't care for the 3g speed, I have a 4gb I'm only wanting a 16gb for more media space. And if the 3g is jailbreakable how will we be able to jailbreak it without restoring it? What do most of you experts recommend 1st or 2nd gen.? Remember, I just want more gig for more music.
    IMO if you have a 1st gen iPhone on T-mobile network, there's little reason to get a 3G iPhone. T-mobile network at the moment doesn't have 3G, and even if it did come out, it wouldn't be on the same frequency as the att 3G.

So if that's the case, I'd check ebay/craiglist for 1st gen 16 gigs. Your bound to find one for 250-300 after the 3G release, maybe even cheaper.

Anyone activating, using appstore or mobileme might be a way for Apple to keep an eye on what people are putting on their phones. So they may be able to see if whether phones are jailbroken/unlocked/etc. And if they can, what, if any, penalties come with it.

That's all just herese though... for now.
    Last edited by iPhoneMadness; 06-16-2008 at 08:21 PM.
    "Thanks" button. Learn it. Use it. Love it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default to CLARIFY
    once again I will state that if you purchased your iphone on or after may 27th, and you purchased it at an At&t store, you will not just simply return your iphone and get the iphone 2 for an even trade. I messaged Poetic Folly on this and he did not respond, so I am assuming he thinks that I am not a credible source. The way it is going to work as of right now at least is...

if you bought your iphone from an at&t on or after may 27th, you can return your iphone and pay a 10% restocking fee and get then purchase the iphone 2 and renew or start a new 2 yr contract. This policy will be honored until august 1, 2008 (outside the 14 day return window that was originally enforced with the sales of the iphone).

The reason why it isn't going to be an even trade from an iphone to the iphone 2 is b/c of the price gap, and at&t realizes that customers that recently purchased an iphone for 400 or 500 dollars will feel shafted, so to help those customers out they are basically extending the 14 day return window to August 1, 2008.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default 3g Fever
    I love technology, followed it from the early Apple II days, and new technology is always nice but like everything else, it's relative to what you need it for.

The iPhone 3g has a few new things that might appeal to some but mostly useless by the majority, here's what I think about the 3 most noticeable upgrades:

1. GPS - Basically a good thing to have but not so practical on a phone in my opinion, I prefer a dedicated unit from Garmin or Magellan, etc. I like the iPhone for it main uses such as a cell phone and iPod.

2. 3G - not really worth $30/month to me, specially when you're limited to a small screen for browsing such as the iPhone's. I hardly ever see a need for faster speed when doing a quick browse over edge.

3. Lower Price- Really....... you guys really think is good to pay less and be tied to a 2 year contract, no way! I rather pay the extra $200 and do what I please with the phone (unlocked).

To much hype for Apple products, yes, the 3g iPhone is nice but not much nicer than the original. In my opinion the original iPhone was a much better deal. Love it or hate it, this is just my opinion.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hey man it doesnt affect the 2 year service agreements of the other lines on your fam plan, just yours so feel free to get it