+ Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Almost everything you wanted to know about the 3G Iphone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Certain countries in Europe (and Australia) have released non-subsidized prices for the 8gb/16gb models. They're around 400-500 in Europe and 350 in Australia.
    whats that equal in us dollars

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

According to the leaked internal AT&T memo:

"Customers intending to use the iPhone 3G for access to corporate e-mail, business applications, or access to corporate intranet are required to activate with Enterprise Data Plan for iPhone."

So if I plan to use Microsoft Exchange to check my work email do I have to pay the other extra $10.00 for the enterprise plan? If I don't pay it, can they deny access to Microsoft Exchange?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think that's meant to be more for corporate plans (i.e. corporations buying phones for their employees or paying for employees to buy phones) and not individuals who happen to use their phones for a few business purposes.

iPhone? More like MyPhone jaredb03's Avatar
    Thanks

there is no 3g around my area, the closest is about 200+ miles away so i don't plan on using the 3g. will i be able to get the new phone but keep my same data and text plan without the 3g feature for the same price?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jaredb03 View Post
    there is no 3g around my area, the closest is about 200+ miles away so i don't plan on using the 3g. will i be able to get the new phone but keep my same data and text plan without the 3g feature for the same price?
    Or, would it work to get an unlocked 3g and keep your same data plan, but be able to get the 3g speeds? 3g is in my area but an extra 30 bucks a month for data and texts doesn't excite me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Yeah, I'ma just watch this 3G iPhone play out. Hopefully the OG Gangsta DEVs find out a way to unlock it so us 1st gen iPhone users can toss in our old sim card and be able to use our current data plan ($20 for unlimited data/200 text)!!! I speak for everybody when I say that we'll gladly donate if this can be done...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stewkat View Post
    Or, would it work to get an unlocked 3g and keep your same data plan, but be able to get the 3g speeds? 3g is in my area but an extra 30 bucks a month for data and texts doesn't excite me.
    your plan doesnt regulate ur speeds or edge unless its turned off, i used my sim card one time in a black jack in St. Louis MO and it still got 3g speeds on my plan

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Certain countries in Europe (and Australia) have released non-subsidized prices for the 8gb/16gb models. They're around 400-500 in Europe and 350 in Australia.
    900 euros actually which is around 1600 dollars

Thanks
    wow, I think that explained everyone's questions.

thanks a lot man.

but it's not going to persuade me to buy the new 3G iPhone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thestrangestick View Post
    How will you be selling phones on eBay without the o2 contract and what sort of price are we talking about here? I just paid 260 for my iPhone 2 months ago which was a good price, and if I sold it thanks to the iPhone hysteria right now I could get the same price back, nearly. Just look on eBay prices of iPhones have GONE UP (and this is the first gen)
    ye i sold mine last money for 275 quid.

o2 are offering a pay as you go option, this means you pay the full handset price and no contract. im guessing prices will be around 269 for 8gb and between 300-400 for 16gb.

ill be buying myself a 16gb, and buying 2 8gb on july 11th for ebay.

btw, there are so many panicky people thinking that the iphone 1st gen is the way to go if you dont want the contract, which is so ill informed, and exactly why the prices are going up.

the dev team will crack the new firmware, without a doubt, just a matter of when. my advice = get rid of your outdated 1st gen while you can, before its worthless and survive just a few weeks on an old phone until 3g arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by kilroy007 View Post
    wow, I think that explained everyone's questions.

thanks a lot man.

but it's not going to persuade me to buy the new 3G iPhone.
    lets see, when the appstore releases tons of apps based around 3g speeds, and you cant download or use them because of your edge speeds, we'll see then.

also, please dont be pursuaded. 1 less iphone 3g buyer = shorter queues so please, stay at home, walk the dog, go to the cinema, anything. just dont buy one. anyone.
    Last edited by reeko; 06-13-2008 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Default quick question
    So I guess that when 2.0 is jailbroken my EDGE iPhone will be able to do everything the a 3G iPhone will be able to do? I just wondering because there is no 3G coverage anywhere near my area. Why renew my contract if it dosn't make a difference right.
    YNWA

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by .:MirrorminD:. View Post

Does that mean Apple doesn't make as much money per phone?
    For all we know Apple might actually be making more money per phone now. With the original iPhone 3G, you paid "full price" for an iPhone -- $600 at its high point. Now you'll be paying no more than $200 (and as little as nothing in some countries) for the 8GB model, so we don't really know exactly how much of Apple's price the carriers are knocking off. We think it's fair to assume it'd still be in the $400-450 retail range, though, if it wasn't subsidied. Which it is.
    That was my first impression, AT&T or (insert carrier here) subsidized the cost of the iPhone in exchange for a more controlled method of activation, and the savings were passed on to the consumer. This seems equivalent to the +/- $200 rebates they give with new 2-year contracts, it's just not spelled out that way.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i'm currently selling my iPhone for $300 on Craigslist. people will pay a lot for an unlocked iPhone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I had the 1st gen and it cost me around $67 monthly, in the Cincinnati area, using the very basic 450 minutes + data plan w/ 200 text messages built-in.

Going to an iPhone 3G, I see that it's going to go up about $15 a month for me. $10 more to do the 3G data plan (my entire area I live, and the area I work in, are covered by it), as well as at least $5 for 200 text messages.

Thats $82 + whatever extra taxes, so at least $15 more a month. But truthfully, I've had to carry my verizion razr even with a 1st gen iPhone. I mean, I drop calls like it's nobodies business on AT&T, and I am really hoping that the new 3G connectivity, as well as the plastic backing and antenna setup, improve my connectivity.

Being able to shun my razr is my goal, and if I can get a better reception with the iPhone 3G, whether using EDGE or 3G, then it's worth the $15 a month for me.

I've already sold my 1st gen, and got a decent amount for it on eBay. I'll be picking up an 8GB iPhone 3G on July 11th, and I figure, it can't be worse than it was before.

Thanks

Thanks for all the info. I am quickly trying to sell off my iPhone for as low as $250 here in India. Cause i know, once that baby is out everyone will have it.
    So i will have it too with the money earned.

Btw I hope that activate in store then take it home thing is only for AT&T customers in States only. I hope i allowed to buy it regularly from a store in India and the unlock it at home.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

What I think a lot of you are missing is that the new firmware is going to be available for the phones that we have now. So pretty much the only thing you will be getting will be the hardware GPS and 3G

As a TMobile customer, no, I'm not going to switch. My phone is straight how I have it. I use Locateme all the time, but I'm not going to sell my phone for a true GPS feature when my car has GPS and LocateMe has been fine for me so Im not tripping.

3G? If you really need superfast internet, get wifi. Hell, get TMobile hotspot. But as a TMobile user I wont even have the 3G as an option, so I'm not even stressing it either.

I think that its going to be the "WOW" factor of owning an iPhone. Its going the same route as the RAZR. RAZR came out, it was a $600 phone, but it wasnt close to as groundbreaking as the iPhone. But now I see 12 year olds with RAZRs. Now every 15 year old at the mall is going to have an iPhone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default I think everyone has the word PHONE on their brain 2Much
    Here's the way I look at it.

It has a phone in it. That's 10% of what it really is.

It's the smallest, most portable, functioning palmtop computer ever made. It's only going to get better (not currently thanks to anything Apple is doing) and I see no reason not to use a 1.0 version iPhone as it sits for many years to come.

It's the first phone PDA that I ever actually wanted to USE the PDA features of, and that doesn't even touch the 3rd party app stuff, Safari, and the ability to use it as a portable movie theater, artists' portfolio, and oh yea it plays music too.

I mean come on, the new iPhone has nothing to write home to Mom about and personally I love the original look far better than the black plastic "Dark Helmet" from Spaceballs Look.

Just my 2cents.

iKahuna

iPhone? More like MyPhone sdmojaydo619's Avatar
    Thanks

^^^^Agreed^^^^
    I'm going to stick with my 1st gen iphone. My carrier wont support 3g, thus no point in trying to upgrade. I love my iPhone!
    Why can't people be more interrigent rike me? RICE!
    R.I.P - iPhone 2g, iPod classic 80GB

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

"Thanks" button. Learn it. Use it. Love it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks!
    AddictDownload.com
    Full macApp