+ Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Almost everything you wanted to know about the 3G Iphone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
*could care less about all this* Im not signing a contact with ATT so im just waiting on the unsubsidized price...whether overseas, on craigslist, or through the apple store. But
    Green Apple
    Thanks

*could care less about all this*

Im not signing a contact with ATT so im just waiting on the unsubsidized price...whether overseas, on craigslist, or through the apple store. But I find it hard to believe that Apple will refuse a sale in their store w/o signing an ATT contract. People espically myself are spoiled from activating through iTunes(espically the hacking thing). ATT and Apple needs to get their **** 2gether and tell the public before they have hell on their hands on the 11th.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kadinh's Avatar
    Thanks

i just called the at&t store to ask some ?'s about the plans and stuff. i asked the guy "i have a ? about the new iphone coming out. you must have had a lot of ppl calling about it, right?"

he said "yes, in fact im looking at it right now"

i thought OMG it is there!!

i asked him if it was there in the store and he said "no, im looking at it online on the at&t site"

got me all excited for nothing. but he said nobody really knows about it yet in the stores, just what is online and from apple. still 1 month left....

Thanks

everyone who dosent want to extend there contract bestway to go is ebay.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ijoel View Post
    Yeah, how would that work? since you have to sign a contract to get the iPhone who are these people going to post them on ebay?

My iPhone is a Part of Me kadinh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rusty778 View Post
    Yeah, how would that work? since you have to sign a contract to get the iPhone who are these people going to post them on ebay?
    buy them full price w/o the contract

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm curious -- will the iPhone 3g be able to be used as a modem to a laptop? I could never get the tethering to work....

It's the only thing I miss my Palm about -- the ability to use it as a modem.

Thanks

Smile please
    Can't believe people complain
    Ok 1st Apple as a company should have not connected up with at&t ,but they did and like most companies nice contracts =good$$$. Keep past past , everybody knew this when the iphone came out. And as far as me buying $600 phone first time around, i could give a rat's *** . I am a tech junkie and have blown more than $600 on other devices in past to have the newest technology. Like my first DVD player 600+ , now you go to walmart and buy one for $35. Anyway to my point, either enjoy what you have or stop ******** about Apple and their newest device. Problem most people have, but don't admit is when the new iphone comes out their device won't be "it" anymore and your coworker john will up you one with his shiny new 3G iphone!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dust Busta's Avatar
    Thanks

Ya, for $700+

Thanks

ebay.com is pretty useless, seeing as america is the only place in the world where you cant buy an unsubsidized iphone.

i suggest ebay.co.uk , where i will be listing iphones for you american folks to purchase.

i guess your release date is more like July 13th/14th earliest ... unless you want a 24 month expensive contract

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    ebay.com is pretty useless, seeing as america is the only place in the world where you cant buy an unsubsidized iphone.

i suggest ebay.co.uk , where i will be listing iphones for you american folks to purchase.

i guess your release date is more like July 13th/14th earliest ... unless you want a 24 month expensive contract
    How will you be selling phones on eBay without the o2 contract and what sort of price are we talking about here? I just paid 260 for my iPhone 2 months ago which was a good price, and if I sold it thanks to the iPhone hysteria right now I could get the same price back, nearly. Just look on eBay prices of iPhones have GONE UP (and this is the first gen)

Green Apple swedes_hack_iphones's Avatar
    Thanks

so you cant restore it at home then? or will you be able to and it will always be activated?

iPhone? More like MyPhone jfmsam's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by holewheat View Post
    So I can get a new iPhone for $375 if I am on T-Mobile? $200 for the iPhone and $175 for the contract termination.
    Best bet is you stay with iPhone 1st gen if you are a T-Mobile user. Unless you really want the GPS feature, there is no real advantage for you to buy a 3G phone that won't work on T-Mobiles 1700 Mhz 3G network.

Quote Originally Posted by .:MirrorminD:. View Post
    What's up with the data and SMS pricing?
    Well, Apple will be in 70 countries (and counting) this year, so you'll get different plans from region to region. But in the US, users will have to sign up for a minute plan that includes an extra $30 rate for 3G data access (and has no bundled text messages). This is $10 more than the original iPhone's rate plan, which was $20 for data and 200 included SMSs. Matching voice plans start at $40 per month, so you'll basically be able to get started at $70 per month.

In all fairness:

AT&T jacked up the prices in all of their data plans (Personal and Corporate). These apply to all 3G smartphones. Apple's iPhone 3G may have influenced this change but it is too much to think it was the sole reason for this price change.

AT&T has updated their EDGE network to HSDPA for the most part of the country. You can't expect to pay the same amount for a data service that is now 2x to 3.5x performance of the previous EDGE and with up to 1.4 Mbps. Its like you expecting to pay Dial-UP rates for Broadband speeds.

I tried to compare Verizon's and Sprint's rates for their EVDO and AT&T seems competitive with their new service.
    Last edited by jfmsam; 06-12-2008 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

so how much will it be at full price? will they even sell it that way?

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 88five-oh View Post
    so how much will it be at full price? will they even sell it that way?
    Certain countries in Europe (and Australia) have released non-subsidized prices for the 8gb/16gb models. They're around 400-500 in Europe and 350 in Australia.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

soo how much more will the plan cost if sms bundle is added on O.O?

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

I would like to know a few things myself.....

1. What happens if the phones we have right now puke since they are not making the ones we have anymore?

2. As far as buying from other countries... what may happen is when Apple goes to let these other countries get them they might be on a different type of contract with them and they might be able to only sell them by contract over there as well? I am sure that Apple tends to control what is what when they go to sell them to other countries as well...

3. Someone said that Apple shouldn't have went with ATT... who do you think they should have went with? I felt Verizon but Verizon didn't want to and I hope they are bummed now that they didn't!

4. With the 3G is it like the edge as far as being able to pick it up and sometimes not? Or will it be this way... if a area or state doesn't have it your out of luck trying to get out on the net etc?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by teriyakiboy13 View Post
    Is there anyway to get the 3g iphone without making the plan longer? Im in a family plan right now and i dont want to change the plan just cuz of me upgrading my phone...
    you dont have to change your plan. it just changes the length of the contract.

As far as the increased data price goes. AT&T has had the same data pricing for quite some time now. Their blackberry and pda plans have been 30 for a personal unlimited data plan and 45 for corporate data plans and none of them include messaging. The iPhone plan is simply the same monthly cost as any other smartphone you can get from AT&T but you are getting a FAR better, more responsive phone for about the same upfront cost or less in some cases(AT&T Tilt). I like blackberry but i would definately pay the extra $100 to get the new iPhone.
    Last edited by akosko01; 06-12-2008 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    you won't just be incurring an extra $10. i'm sure everyone here uses their text messaging as if it were Instant Messaging, hence the 300 page bill that got the delivered that first month (it was only the first month right?....go cancel paper billing! then come back & read.) the new 3G $30 data plan doesn't include any texting, so you'll likely add unlimited texting for another $20 or so.
    as it stands now, i have no motivation to purchase the 3G iPhone on the 11th. i really wanted video recording, & a laser beam type function.
    Last edited by PhaedruS; 06-12-2008 at 08:29 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

AT&T and Apple really did the right thing to get money in the long run. With the new plan (3g) they will make $720 in two years. With the old plan (2g) it's $480 for two years (just comparing theres no 2 year contract price you missed). You may think $200 is cheap and it is, just remember the $30/m data plan you signed up for WITHOUT text messaging, that's another $30/m for unlimited.

So yea i'd stick with the 1st gen phone for right now unless you are constantly traveling or are always away from WAN and need the 3g speed.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PhoneLine's Avatar
    Thanks

the texting thing is what really irks me. I was set to buy one and will glady pay an extra 10 dollars a month, if that did include the texting.

But without that, I'll stick with the first gen. 90 percent of the time I am on WiFi anyway, so the 3g is really not a huge deal. The GPS would be cool, but not at the cost of raising my bill 30-40 dollars a month.....(10 plus whatever texting would be) 10 a month yes, 30 a month or more.....I'll just buy a garmin.