+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: TomTom on Iphone, YesYes

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by screamforme02 i just read this iPhone SDK agreement forbids real-time route guidance, dancing, rock'n'roll - Engadget so now im confused It's most likely to keep Navngo out
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by screamforme02 View Post
    It's most likely to keep Navngo out of business (they had their software ready months ago): http://www.modmyi.com/forums/native-...ng-iphone.html

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by .:MirrorminD:. View Post
    TomTom already has iPhone navigation software ready to roll

Seems TomTom has been working hard getting an app for the app store ready, no word on when it will be available, but and I quote "We have tried, and it worked." "Our navigation system runs on the iPhone already"

Here's some sources for you:

TomTom already has iPhone navigation software ready to roll - Engadget

TomTom for iPhone GPS Review

TomTom says navigation app already runs on iPhone | Reuters
    Apple has added a clause into their SDK license agreement that prohibits GPS applications such as TomTom.

“Applications may not be designed or marketed for real time route guidance; automatic or autonomous control of vehicles, aircraft, or other mechanical devices; dispatch or fleet management; or emergency or life-saving purposes.”

It is possible that Apple may be developing its own GPS application or it may be forming a deal with another company. Either way this may be bad news for TomTom who just announced they have developed an iPhone application!

Green Apple
    Thanks

At this point, kinda hard to tell if it work or not
    If it does that would be awesome so we dont have to buy a "real" navigator then
    man ,im wodering how much would that be costed

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by razorone View Post
    Apple has added a clause into their SDK license agreement that prohibits GPS applications such as TomTom.

“Applications may not be designed or marketed for real time route guidance; automatic or autonomous control of vehicles, aircraft, or other mechanical devices; dispatch or fleet management; or emergency or life-saving purposes.”

It is possible that Apple may be developing its own GPS application or it may be forming a deal with another company. Either way this may be bad news for TomTom who just announced they have developed an iPhone application!
    Take it as you will but Apple puts weird stuff in their clauses all the time, read some of them, for example: You cannot use itunes to creat nuclear weapons....thats just one example. Now Apple may have put that in because they struck a deal with TomTom and they will be the sole supplier. Sure we dont know for sure but i wouldnt put it past Apple to do that
    Last edited by .:MirrorminD:.; 06-11-2008 at 09:03 PM.
    [IMG]http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr164/sundayduffer/modmyimirrormind.png[/IMG]

Green Apple
    Thanks

It is very probable that Apple has made sole agreements with TomTom regarding GPS functionality, in an effort to make more money.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

ok guys i dug it up ill put in bold all the weird stuff. “APPLE COMPUTER, INC. / SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR iTUNES” revision: “EA0367 / Rev 9/7/06″

THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES AND/OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, OF SATISFACTORY QUALITY, OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OF ACCURACY, OF QUIET ENJOYMENT, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS.

In no event shall Apple’s total liability to you for all damages (other than as may be required by applicable law in cases involving personalinjury) exceed the amount of fifty dollars ($50.00).

**mirrormind note - so if for whatever reason itunes f*s up your pc, theyll give you $50

You may not use or otherwise export or reexport the Apple Software except as authorized by United States law and the laws of the jurisdiction in which the Apple Software was obtained.

**um isnt that imperialism

You also agree that you will not use these products for any purposes prohibited by United States law, including, without limitation, the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons.

**wtf lmao

Without limiting the foregoing, under no circumstances shall 3Com be held liable for any delay or failure in performance resulting directly or indirectly from acts of nature, forces, or causes beyond its reasonable control, including, without limitation, Internet failures, computer equipment failures, telecommunication equipment failures, other equipment failures, electrical power failures, strikes, labor disputes, riots, insurrections, civil disturbances, shortages of labor
    or materials, fires, floods, storms, explosions, acts of God, war, governmental actions, orders of domestic or foreign courts or tribunals, non-performance of third parties, or loss of or fluctuations in heat, light, or air conditioning.

*** I love the last item. 3Com is not liable for “fluctuations in air conditioning”. Good to know. And why this is in a license for Apple’s iTunes
    [IMG]http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr164/sundayduffer/modmyimirrormind.png[/IMG]

7. The Following User Says Thank You to .:MirrorminD:. For This Useful Post:

enjoi4586 (07-01-2008)

Thanks

LOL the screenie they provided is very near where I live (not Ogden, the actual position on the screen).
    Apples taste good.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Read the update from Engadgets post:

Update: Astute commenter Austin points out that these terms are copied almost word-for-word from the Google Maps API terms -- which means that TomTom and others are probably free to use their own maps to do real-time guidance.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

so mirrormind can u tell us how u tried the gps software and do u think it will be available on the original iphone. please clear it up

__________________________________________________ __________________________
    the iphone is the best thing that has happened to me. sounds kinda sad if u think about it

iPhone? More like MyPhone mwr_allen's Avatar
    Thanks

What ever happened to the gomite loco gps device because this was done months ago but I have'nt seen it since.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by .:MirrorminD:. View Post
    You also agree that you will not use these products for any purposes prohibited by United States law, including, without limitation, the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons.
    i guess north korea uses windows media player.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by huntor View Post
    i guess north korea uses windows media player.
    ZING!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I guess now they might open a new market for external GPS modules on 1st gen iPhones

Thanks

TOMTOM just released this statement:

"We haven't officially announced anything, we're just commenting to the press on a 'reactive not proactive' basis."

A source within TOMTOM also stated:

"there are actually no software prototypes in existence."
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Livin the iPhone Life Napoleon_PhoneApart's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post
    so let me get this straight!!! the iphone sdk won't allow turn by turn navigation? THEN WHAT THE HELL IS THE POINT OF HAVING NAVIGATION IN FIRST PLACE, NEXT.....NO AUTO RE-ROUTING ALLOWED!!!!!!

APPLE'S 2ND GEN IPHONE CAN GO TO HELL!!!!
    Too much coffee?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post

"We haven't officially announced anything, we're just commenting to the press on a 'reactive not proactive' basis."

That...sucks...
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

My iPhone is a Part of Me mofolo's Avatar
    Thanks

ridiculously stupid. Apple can stick this agreement up their asses.
    myRepoSpace.com - Easily create your own Cydia Repo.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post

Today Tomtom confirmed that they do have a working version for iPhone:

Since months there were rumors that the navigation device manufacturer Tomtom is working on an iPhone version of its software. TomTom's German public relations agency now confirmed these rumours to SPIEGEL ONLINE. In fact they did start to port the software shortly after the SDK release and do now have a working Tomtom version for iPhone.

They didn't provide details about possible marketing or about negotiations between Apple and Tomtom. The problem: In the conditions of use for Apple's software developers you can find a passage, that explicitly prohibits the development of navigation software for the iPhone. The text states: "Applications my not be designed or marketed for real-time route guidance."

The meaning of this restriction is unclear. Possibly Apple wants to establish its own navigation software, perhaps "iNavigate". The company might also already be working with U.S. manufacturer Garmin on a navigation solution.

Translation of an article on spiegel.de
    iPhone-Verträge: Briten und Österreicher unterbieten deutsche Teuer-Tarife - Netzwelt - SPIEGEL ONLINE - Nachrichten
    Last edited by benne; 06-16-2008 at 10:42 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Did anyone forget that on the Keynote at WWDC 2008 they said there will be more then one method of downloading and installing applications on your iphone?

1. Download Straight from phone.
    2. Download from iTunes and Install.
    3. Download from Internet and install through itunes.

Wouldn't it be possible with the third option to just download and install it on your phone?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thebearisradd View Post
    Did anyone forget that on the Keynote at WWDC 2008 they said there will be more then one method of downloading and installing applications on your iphone?

1. Download Straight from phone.
    2. Download from iTunes and Install.
    3. Download from Internet and install through itunes.

Wouldn't it be possible with the third option to just download and install it on your phone?
    What does this have to do with TOMTOM?

@benne... Yes, a couple of days after another TOMTOM Rep said they have a working copy. We get one saying nothing exists, another saying they have a copy, both from TOMTOM. Who's to be believed.
    Last edited by Eurisko; 06-19-2008 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.