Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: firmware 2.0 on June 27th, no OTA music downloads, AT&T to fine non-activators...

How would AT&T implement this fine?

Thanks

2.0 looks good.

ant to make this clear:

THIS IS ONLY IN THE US.

IF YOU WANT ONE BADLY, AND WANT TO UNLOCK IT ETC. LOOK ON EBAY.

all AT&T or apple have to do is get you to sign a contract before leaving the store. as soon as youve signed that, it starts.

back to the 2.0 firmware, i wonder if installer repos can be added to the appstore as an enterprise?......
    Last edited by reeko; 06-11-2008 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by keisi View Post
    You are paying for it somehow so they have your information. They could throw a fine print somewhere saying that by buying this you are required to get a contract or you will be charged X amount.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    This thread is about the release date of the 2.0 firmware. If you want to talk about contracts and activation and unlocking, etc... please post in the 986324986132984314 other threads started about those topics :-).

As far as 2.0, I'm excited about the release because the soon it's out, the sooner it will be jailbroken!
    This statement was included in the first post of this thread...
    And according to a report from Reuters, the company will penalize customers who buy a phone but don't activate within 30 days, which falls in line with their aggressive new push to lock users into a contract

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keisi View Post
    have to buy the phone by card, if phone is not activated within 30 days card is charged 'X' amount.
    or sign a contract agreement in store before leaving.

simple, fast, easy, and nothing the consumer can do about it.

Penalized if not activated in 30 days. BULLCRAP.
    Last edited by medafor; 06-11-2008 at 12:45 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to medafor For This Useful Post:

cky.dude (06-11-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by medafor View Post
    Penalized if not activated in 30 days. BULLCRAP.
    you can hope that when released, there is no in store activation process (even though they have specifically said that there is).

OR

you can hope that things change before release date.

OR

you an get on ebay on JULY 11th and get one shipped in from abroad, WITH NO CONTRACT.

Quote Originally Posted by mfleigle View Post
    So the buying and activating is the same as last year. Minus online sales, and the fact they will flag your account for buying one. I think I am going to wait this time for a 32gb (Red) edition that is rumored for later this year. No 3G coverage anyway
    That rumor is SO untrue it hurts.

~ The wonderful world of iPod ♫

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Conn18 View Post
    That rumor is SO untrue it hurts.
    give it 2-3 months and we will have a 32 GB, just in time for christmas i think.

look at the 4GB from last year....

and note that the 8Gb isnt even available in white. it is just a money maker....

Nothing from stopping someone from buying the iphone in pre-pay form again...using pay-as-you-go method. You would have to pay a little extra but then the phone is yours...but I doubt the phone will be 199 or 299...Its probably full retail just like the first ones.
    Really?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eg6motion View Post
    Nothing from stopping someone from buying the iphone in pre-pay form again...using pay-as-you-go method. You would have to pay a little extra but then the phone is yours...but I doubt the phone will be 199 or 299...Its probably full retail just like the first ones.
    indeed, this will be fine .... if your not in america.

what about buying a prepaid visa card like the desposible debit card things could they still fine u. Well I guess send u a bill. Hummm thats just stupid

I do not have ATT but cant it be as easy as having someone who already has an iphone just activate it for you.
    For example a friend who already has an iPhone just stick his/her chip in it, then happy modding after that?

As i do not plan on leaving T-Mobile just to get the new iPhone. Not that i can currently use 3G anyway.
    Last edited by Jaenius; 06-11-2008 at 02:15 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    This thread is about the release date of the 2.0 firmware. If you want to talk about contracts and activation and unlocking, etc... please post in the 986324986132984314 other threads started about those topics :-).

As far as 2.0, I'm excited about the release because the soon it's out, the sooner it will be jailbroken!
    Please post links to all of these supposed 986324986132984314 other threads.

the new appstore is gonna be wonderful

iPhone? More like MyPhone rkisling's Avatar
    Thanks

OK, I am getting tired of the "OMG, what happens if you don't activate it in 30 days; how can they do this; the sky is falling!!"

It will most likely work like it does with any other phone/carrier in the US. If you don't activate it or if you cancel your contract early (gives you the same result), they will charge you the ETF (Early Termination Fee). The ETF for iPhone 1.0 was $175; it could very well be more for iPhone 2.0.

Just like any phone or carrier, if you don't activate or cancel, you will pay more. iPhone will be $199 + the ETF, which AT&T hasn't set yet for iPhone contracts (well i haven't heard what it is yet). Also, as suggested above, I have no doubt there will be a plentiful supply of iPhones available on eBay that are not locked to AT&T for some amount, probably more than $199 and less than $1,000.

So let's move on already, this sales model for cell phones has been in place for years - from this forum, you'd think this was their first cell phone purchase and experience with the carriers.

If you don't like it, feel free to buy an HTC WinMo phone or a Nokia Symbian - Those are also available with and without a contract. And if you still aren't happy with the new iPhone, I hear there are other forums out there where you can talk about any of those phones and more -- Me, I like the iPhone for now.

My iPhone is a Part of Me lifesmymachine's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ripped53 View Post
    With all of the business enterprise features that 2.0 will bring, does anyone know if it will allow us to save email attachments? Its the dumbest thing I've ever seen if we finally have the ability to view all oir documents and files but can't save them for easy future access.
    pictures yes, documents and files no
    "The glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time you fall."

if u stop the imei transmitting u can say u lost the phone and i dnt think they can charge u 4 not activating it its ur iphone ur not renting or leasing it from them u bought it u can do wtvr u wnt with it the only problem ull hve is probably buying it but tht should b it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lor443 View Post
    if u stop the imei transmitting u can say u lost the phone and i dnt think they can charge u 4 not activating it its ur iphone ur not renting or leasing it from them u bought it u can do wtvr u wnt with it the only problem ull hve is probably buying it but tht should b it
    lol, honestly. just buy one off ebay, eliminates any problems what so ever.

Quote Originally Posted by rkisling View Post
    OK, I am getting tired of the "OMG, what happens if you don't activate it in 30 days; how can they do this; the sky is falling!!"

It will most likely work like it does with any other phone/carrier in the US. If you don't activate it or if you cancel your contract early (gives you the same result), they will charge you the ETF (Early Termination Fee). The ETF for iPhone 1.0 was $175; it could very well be more for iPhone 2.0.

Just like any phone or carrier, if you don't activate or cancel, you will pay more. iPhone will be $199 + the ETF, which AT&T hasn't set yet for iPhone contracts (well i haven't heard what it is yet). Also, as suggested above, I have no doubt there will be a plentiful supply of iPhones available on eBay that are not locked to AT&T for some amount, probably more than $199 and less than $1,000.

So let's move on already, this sales model for cell phones has been in place for years - from this forum, you'd think this was their first cell phone purchase and experience with the carriers.

If you don't like it, feel free to buy an HTC WinMo phone or a Nokia Symbian - Those are also available with and without a contract. And if you still aren't happy with the new iPhone, I hear there are other forums out there where you can talk about any of those phones and more -- Me, I like the iPhone for now.
    You're almost, almost right. The iPhone would be 199 + ETF (175 or whatever they choose) + 1st month of service (80some minimum unless there's some free period I don't know about).

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast