+ Reply
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ATT giving out free 3G iPhones

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by domtravis ok so i am having a little bit of a hard time understand this, if somone could just let me know weather ive got this right
    iPhone? More like MyPhone hozay09's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by domtravis View Post
    ok so i am having a little bit of a hard time understand this, if somone could just let me know weather ive got this right then id really appreciate it.
    so i bought my iphone with a new 2-year service agreement in march, and not i want to upgrade to the new 3g iphone in july, i know i wont be eligable for the upgrade becuase my 2-years arent up, so does this mean i will be forced to pay more than $199 for the 8gb 2nd gen model?
    not want? or did you mean now you want? Anyone can purchase the iphone 3G at the $199/299 price point so long as you are renewing your contract.

Ex. If you buy the phone, you sign for a new 2 yr contract. If you don't want the phone you continue with your current contract. IF you want the iphone 3G with your current contract your outta luck.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by domtravis View Post
    ok so i am having a little bit of a hard time understand this, if somone could just let me know weather ive got this right then id really appreciate it.
    so i bought my iphone with a new 2-year service agreement in march, and not i want to upgrade to the new 3g iphone in july, i know i wont be eligable for the upgrade becuase my 2-years arent up, so does this mean i will be forced to pay more than $199 for the 8gb 2nd gen model?
    at&t will just extend your contract for another 2 years and you'll pay the $199/299 price

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is a completely BOGUS and FALSE statement.

ATT KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT REPLACING ANY IPHONES FOR 3GPHONES

i just bought my Iphone on june 6th and I called apple and att to verify that this statement was true.
    Both companies denied and did not know about replacing ANY iphones once the 3gphones come out.

If you have an iphone you just bought and it is within the 14 days, i would suggest returning it, take the restocking fee and wait till the 3g comes out.

This guy should be banned for posting false information.

What's Jailbreak? Monkey Johannon's Avatar
    Thanks

Has this been confirmed by someone at AT&T? I called my friend whom works at a store, and he said that nothing has been released to them, and the only information they've received is the same information we did, basically explaining the specs and pricing of the phone itself.

He also said that he doubts they would just do an even trade, if they went by historical methods, it would be a return and purchase deal where the old iPhone was returned, your money was given back, and you would simply buy the new iPhone of your choice. He also said that the 14 day return policy would take effect as well, basically making this "May 27th" date kind of moot, since day by day more people would exceed that 14 day line.

Im worried that we'll find out at the end of this month that this "return and exchange" thing is a load of hog wash, but i cross my fingers in hopes of the opposite, id certainly trade mine in for the new one, regardless of price difference, as silly as that sounds, id rather have the newer tech version than have my old one that's worth $50 in 6 months.
    "Choosing the lesser of two evils...is still choosing evil." - Jerry Garcia

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thaoneself View Post
    This is a completely BOGUS and FALSE statement.

ATT KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT REPLACING ANY IPHONES FOR 3GPHONES

i just bought my Iphone on june 6th and I called apple and att to verify that this statement was true.
    Both companies denied and did not know about replacing ANY iphones once the 3gphones come out.

If you have an iphone you just bought and it is within the 14 days, i would suggest returning it, take the restocking fee and wait till the 3g comes out.

This guy should be banned for posting false information.

mmmhmm.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Why can't I we just cancel in the 14 days & keep the phone we paid for?
    Just curious... In most states by law you have at leat 14 days to try out a cariers service to decide if you want to stay with them... Why can't you buy the 2nd gen, activate it in the store, & then call in to AT&T a week later & just cancel the service? You already paid for the phone, & what's the worst they can do? Make you pay some additional money for the phone? Or do they have some super clause against that too? Just a thought. Please give me your opinion...
    "Win or lose, I promise you violence"

Wanderlei Silva

Thanks

Smile BS
    Lol thats bs, but i don't really care my dads buying the 3G and letting me use both, he mostly uses his nextel but he's getting 3G to check mail, and he's usually near computers, so he won't use it much and them i'll have BOTH!!!! Can't wait

MMi ownz!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

U know what you can do?... just buy the iPhone with contract, the contract is what? 120usd. so the 8gb will be 320usd and 16 is 420 usd, still pretty cheap, bring home, take off ATT sim, unlock and use T-mobile, ATT and you will both be happy, beside signing contract i don't think ATT want anything else from you. We signed the contract so we have the right to use it or not. just my idea.... anyone wanna add to this.

Green Apple
    Thanks

alright, I got a tricky question...

So I bought an iPhone when they were released around April I managed to break it... so I bought a new one, although I never did register it to apple but it is activated... Now; would I be able to register it now and say I bought it may 27th or then after?

Thanks

Wish I could ask my dad to buy me one......... Oh, that' s right, I am a dad. You get the Razor boy! Unless MCD's is planning on giving you a raise!

It's nice raising kids, isn't it?

Green Apple
    Thanks

I thought Engadget reported that there were some upgrade eligibility requirements in place. The iPhone 3G on AT&T: we ask the burning questions - Engadget Mobile

What the heck does that mean?? Just like a couple of people here, I bought my iPhone a couple of months ago and activated it just last month....now obviously if there are eligibility requirements (the 18 months crap), then I am probably not eligible. Is this true?? ANd so what would be the non-eligible price? As far as I understand, it was simple, you renew your contract and you get the $199/$299 price.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

All iPhone plans are eligible for an upgrade to iPhone 3G.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Green Apple
    Thanks

u know for people tech savvy enough to get an iPhone, a lot of you can't read or are really slow in understanding...
    I love this site, but man... the post in these threads give me a headache. New firmware post are the worse... (Is it unlocked? Will I brick my phone? etc... oh my...)

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    u know for people tech savvy enough to get an iPhone, a lot of you can't read or are really slow in understanding...
    I love this site, but man... the post in these threads give me a headache. New firmware post are the worse... (Is it unlocked? Will I brick my phone? etc... oh my...)
    That's the best post in this thread today.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well here is exactly what Engadget reported:

Unofficially, we've been slipped information that AT&T's typical upgrade eligibility rules apply when signing the new contract, and there will be a separate (read: higher) pricing scheme for "non-qualified upgrades." These prices have not yet been set.

What does that mean...that's what i am refering to.

Thanks

yes!!! what if u have a 4 gig tho?

iPhone? More like MyPhone rkisling's Avatar
    Thanks

Couldn't agree more with AphaZero.

If you want an iPhone without a contract; you can buy it, activate it in the store and cancel after 30 days and pay the ETF (currently $175 -- not sure if they'll increase it or not). If it stays $175, your phone without a contract (which means an early cancelled contract) comes to $375; still cheaper than the Generation 1 phones.

The typical carrier subsidy to the manufacturer is $100 to $200 (I suspect the subsidy to Apple is on the high end of this) - it's pretty simple math. If you want all the capability of the iPhone for $200, AT&T has to recover their subsidy to Apple from you. Otherwise you pay the full cost of the phone (including Apple's profit).

If you don't like the prices for the iPhone, AT&T, as well as the other carriers have quite a selection of free phones.... The iPhone will never be the cheapest phone alternative...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default SO......
    So why don't you do what lots of people have done and that is buy the iPhone and sign the contract and or ad an additional line cancel the line and keep the phone, you pay full price for the phone but are not locked into two years... I did that with Amp'd mobile and Verzion Before, why not AT&T....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MacJax50 View Post
    So why don't you do what lots of people have done and that is buy the iPhone and sign the contract and or ad an additional line cancel the line and keep the phone, you pay full price for the phone but are not locked into two years... I did that with Amp'd mobile and Verzion Before, why not AT&T....
    that might work, no probably will... but they will charge a cancellation fee unless u cancel like super soon after you buy it. but i have a question.. so if you bought the iphone the day they launched and you want to buy the 3g phone, u have to buy the phone at sticker price?

Green Apple
    Thanks

I don't know if you guys are really understanding me or are even answering my question.

I am a Legit AT&T customer and I want to continue being a legit AT&T customer but I've only had my AT&T contract for two months now. That being said, am I still eligible for the $199/$299 price or is that price only for people who have been on the AT&T contract for at least one year (or whatever..18 months...whatever)???

+ Reply
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast