+ Reply
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No More Online iPhone Sales | 3g Data Prices

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
So wait, now that the 3g iPhone is coming out, will the iPod Touch fall in price drastically??? Doesn't make sense for the Touch to be $100 more than the
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    So wait, now that the 3g iPhone is coming out, will the iPod Touch fall in price drastically??? Doesn't make sense for the Touch to be $100 more than the iPhone itself.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    People seem to have a hard time understanding the iPhones price is subsidized. It's not Apple being benevolent.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Probably not - if you have to activate the iPhone in store than many people will just choose the touch instead of getting a new contract.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    but imagine buying the corvette and being able to get 35 mpg.

that is why people buy the iphones and unlock them, so they can enjoy cheaper rates that still offer them everything they need.

at the moment i pay 10 less than the 35 iPhone contract in the UK and i get exactly the same.

if you think the AT&T iPhone deals will be the best value for money over the next 2 years, then please go ahead and be forced into your contract.

if you do the math, i think you will see that buying the iPhone from ebay for a more expensive initial fee and a cheaper service plan may save you lots of $$$ in the long run.
    Agreed. I have an iphone right now on T-Mobile and only pay about $50 for the same features as AT&Ts more expensive iphone planes. I have unlimited everything just about. Long story about how I got this plan and I am sure there just itching for the day my contract runs out. No way in hell am I giving this one up.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimbeam4581 View Post
    Agreed. I have an iphone right now on T-Mobile and only pay about $50 for the same features as AT&Ts more expensive iphone planes. I have unlimited everything just about. Long story about how I got this plan and I am sure there just itching for the day my contract runs out. No way in hell am I giving this one up.
    and you are like many many other iphone owners in america. i see the people on official iphone contracts as nothing more than stupid, or lazy.

i find it ironic that the iphone is designed in california, yet the americans are going to have to ship their phones in from abroad to jb/unlock them to use with another carrier....

the touch will be the same price. this is because the iphone is SUBSIDIZED. YOUR NOT GETTING IT CHEAPER REALLY.
    AT&T pay apple back for the spare say $200. and recoup it from a more expensive price plan.

do the math, give you a cheaper iPhone by 'X' amount, up the contract prices to cover 'X' amount and AT&T + apple both still win. The only loser is the consumer, who feels they are getting a good deal with a $199 / $299 iphone but in reality is paying MORE over the 24 month time period...

seriously, dont be a drone and let AT&T get away with this. buy your iphone from abroad and go with another service provider. that will give more of an impact than any damn petition ...

a 2 year contract is a loooong time, and we will all be anticipating video conferencing + better camera the same time next year im sure .....

the iPhone PAYG in the UK should be about the same price as the last one was to buy, 269 for 8GB as the contract version is heavily subsidized (free). I'm sure you will be able to get them from ebay delivered for about $7-800, hacktivate them and treat them as before....

sure, its allot of money but allot less than you would truly pay by getting an official contract.

i am so happy that the O2 hasnt gone the AT&T route but truly feel for the americans amongst us right now. its sick.
    Last edited by reeko; 06-11-2008 at 11:56 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brandnew70x7 View Post
    People seem to have a hard time understanding the iPhones price is subsidized. It's not Apple being benevolent.
    Agreed. Heres a quick rundown of how it works. Its not to complicated.

AT&T and all the other carriers are signing deals with apple so they eat the cost of subsidizing the phone as long as apple agrees they are the soul provider for that phone. In return Those carriers are subsidizing the phone for apple to sell them selfs at there stores for the same price.

How could apple sell the phone for the same price as AT&T and others?
    It has to be subsidized. theres just no other way they could make it so cheap.

So this means apple has again agreed to keep this phone locked down and since theres more money at stake here for the carriers it means there putting more pressure on apple to keep it locked. After all those 2 year contracts are what AT&T is counting on to offset that subsidized cost of the phone.

Now apple has more of a reason then ever to make sure that phone stays locked. Unlocked phone are now not costing them shared profits. But a hefty lawsuit from AT&T if they see lost profits from unlocks.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    and you are like many many other iphone owners in america. i see the people on official iphone contracts as nothing more than stupid, or lazy.

i find it ironic that the iphone is designed in california, yet the americans are going to have to ship their phones in from abroad to jb/unlock them to use with another carrier....

the touch will be the same price. this is because the iphone is SUBSIDIZED. YOUR NOT GETTING IT CHEAPER REALLY.
    AT&T pay apple back for the spare say $200. and recoup it from a more expensive price plan.

do the math, give you a cheaper iPhone by 'X' amount, up the contract prices to cover 'X' amount and AT&T + apple both still win. The only loser is the consumer, who feels they are getting a good deal with a $199 / $299 iphone but in reality is paying MORE over the 24 month time period...

seriously, dont be a drone and let AT&T get away with this. buy your iphone from abroad and go with another service provider. that will give more of an impact than any damn petition ...

a 2 year contract is a loooong time, and we will all be anticipating video conferencing + better camera the same time next year im sure .....

the iPhone PAYG in the UK should be about the same price as the last one was to buy, 269 for 8GB as the contract version is heavily subsidized (free). I'm sure you will be able to get them from ebay delivered for about $7-800, hacktivate them and treat them as before....

sure, its allot of money but allot less than you would truly pay by getting an official contract.

i am so happy that the O2 hasnt gone the AT&T route but truly feel for the americans amongst us right now. its sick.

Good thing I have family in Ireland!

Green Apple
    Thanks

i think that 199/299 is the full price not subsidized because on the apple site it says double speed half price so thats half price from apple not at&t there giving the half price not at&t (just what seems to make the most sense rite now well have to wait some more to find out for sure though)

Thanks

well considering the only way to buy it is from apple or at&t the only way apple could make money on it with this low price since they got rid of the old revenue sharing Id say your dead wrong

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lor443 View Post
    i think that 199/299 is the full price not subsidized because on the apple site it says double speed half price so thats half price from apple not at&t there giving the half price not at&t (just what seems to make the most sense rite now well have to wait some more to find out for sure though)
    No... read the fine print... the price includes a contract it says it right there...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

not really. ive had att for a really long time so i didnt really feel like switching anyway. the reason i didnt think that switching to t-mobile will change anything is because my cousin recently bought a new sidekick from t-mobile and she pays waaaay more for her phone than i do... maybe she just got a crappy plan since some of you lucky bastards are paying $50/mo lol.

well anyways i personally dont have a problem with a 2 yr contract, who cares, either way you still end up paying about the same - whether its through an overpriced contract or through an overpriced phone

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jerdst View Post
    that bull apple better recall the iPhones and give me a new one
    because I paid 400 for the I have
    and I thought all the iPhones were 3g
    [FORREST GUMP/BUBBA'S MOM]"Are ya stupid or sumthin, or just plain dumb".[/]

How did you not read the specs on what you were purchasing? So they should give you a new one cause you're an idiot? Since you "thought" all of the iPhones were 3G, maybe you should've "thought" about what all those little words and stuff on the placard called "SPECS" actually said BEFORE you bought it. You just learned a valuable lesson that cost $400. Kudos.

Thanks

so you cant buy it for a gift like before.....so now you have to take your gift to the next level by buying the person the iphone/contract....

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pacmac View Post
    so you cant buy it for a gift like before.....so now you have to take your gift to the next level by buying the person the iphone/contract....

Since you failed to read the thread, lemme do it for you. Oh, wow, in multiple posts all over it says you CAN buy it and activate it at home. Behold! The power of reading!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i was just on ziphones website and he said how the new way apple sends everything to themselves and no background processes just makes it harder again to jailbreak

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Nah. I'd venture to bet Pwnage is a pretty hard thing to patch up.

Thanks

Your not really sure what this means do you? For one this feature isnt even available to september. Second it doesnt monitor background process it keeps track of an applications online status (like an instant messenger) on a 3rd party server. When something happens(new IM) the server sends this to a secure apple server then apple sends it to your device. Apple has no idea whats going on actually on the phone they just push the message to you. The whole point of this is to stop background process from having to be used

iPhone? More like MyPhone RC_OZ's Avatar
    Thanks

My colleague at work has a daughter studying in the UK.

I think you can buy iPhones there with O2 and and go with the Pay & Go option and not have to sign up and long term contract. Is this right ?

I'll ask my colleague if her daughter can buy me one (or two) and fedex it to me here.

Can anyone verify the O2 iPhone deal ? how much would iPhone cost in the UK without contract. thanks.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Just got back from the Apple store... you will have to activate the new iphone in the store or pay a early termination fee on the spot.

So the cost is $199 plus $150 early termination fee.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ronfin44 View Post
    Since you failed to read the thread, lemme do it for you. Oh, wow, in multiple posts all over it says you CAN buy it and activate it at home. Behold! The power of reading!
    And yet in multiple posts it also says that you can't Behold the power of reading
    -We have no way of knowing as of yet