Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MobileMe - .Mac is gone, Push to Mac's, iPhone, and web is here

Hybrid View

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,226 Posts

Default MobileMe - .Mac is gone, Push to Mac's, iPhone, and web is here

.Mac, Apple's nice but relatively outdated service which gave users the ability to sync their contacts, calendars, photos, and files online, is now being changed to MobileMe.

The service runs $99/yr, with new users getting a free 60 day trial. MobileMe lets you access and manage your email, contacts, calendar, photos, and files at me.com (which still isn't quite up it seems). Push technology means when you update your contacts, calendars, or email on your iPhone, web, or Mac, the updates are automatically and immediately pushed out to all your other MobileMe devices.

The web interface for the MobileMe suite is an absolutely gorgeous use of AJAX and current web technologies. Check out some screenies:

Of course this is newer, nicer, stuff, so you'll need Safari 3 or Firefox 2 for the Mac, and Safari 3, Firefox 2, or Internet Explorer 7 for Windows. The service comes with 20GB of storage.

Existing .Mac folks will automatically be upgraded - you'll keep your @mac.com email address, and also be given an @me.com email as well - you can use both.

I'm sure there will be an update coming soon for OS X to integrate this even further with the iLife suite.

Nice job, Apple.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

i say use a peice of paper write it down and save $99 year wow

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ya #2 ^_^ (i have nothing to say)

This is bigger news then the 3g iphone. I love the fact everything can be pushed to my phone

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

eh not worried bout this... im more excited bout the 3g iphone in general haha

Can somebody tell me why this is worth $99 a year when I already have the completely free Gmail, which is accessible by computer and iPhone?

Quote Originally Posted by suprmallet View Post
    Can somebody tell me why this is worth $99 a year when I already have the completely free Gmail, which is accessible by computer and iPhone?
    Watch the video here: Apple - MobileMe
    I have used a .mac account for a long time and in my travels it has served me well the last year I let it go I thought about getting it again for the photo sharing and a few other enhancements but never did, I will be getting it back for sure now!

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Watch the video here: Apple - MobileMe
    I have used a .mac account for a long time and in my travels it has served me well the last year I let it go I thought about getting it again for the photo sharing and a few other enhancements but never did, I will be getting it back for sure now!
    Seems like it would be nice for file sharing, but Gmail handles all the email/contacts/calender stuff for me already. And I have other avenues for file sharing, so not worth it for me.

I usually hate web apps, but for some reason these make me want to give up my desktop apps! lol

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

I for one have been using .Mac for a while - and the syncing of all my stuff (contacts, calendar, SYSTEM SETTINGS ON MY MAC, passwords (yup, secure), favorites in Safari, favorites in my FTP program, etc is invaluable.

I broke my computer and Apple needed it for 5 days to fix it - I set up a new user account on my wife's laptop, turned on .Mac and synced, and wham, all my mail accounts are set up, and all my saved forms and favorites were there as well. Calendar, contacts, all there.

Not bad.

MobileMe is really exciting, since its an even more polished feel to these. Plus, the ability to share pictures, files, etc in an easy to manage, good looking way is great. FTP is all well and good for us hacker folks, but telling my folks how to use an FTP program is like telling a rabbit how to fly a helicopter.

I wonder how closely tied this may be to hardware... I won't be using an iPhone on the AT&T network, so I don't know if this would be tied to AT&T somehow

My iPhone is a Part of Me desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by quahog_convo View Post
    I wonder how closely tied this may be to hardware... I won't be using an iPhone on the AT&T network, so I don't know if this would be tied to AT&T somehow
    No, this has nothing to do with AT&T. It all internet stuff, accessible anywhere.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    My brother was eaten by wolves on the NJ Turnpike.

You have to pay for this??Jesus,which other phone company charges for syncing contacts,mail and calendar?

Quote Originally Posted by pecalbar View Post
    You have to pay for this??Jesus,which other phone company charges for syncing contacts,mail and calendar?
    this isn't a phone feature. you'll still be able to sync all this stuff by plugging in your phone to your computer and syncing through itunes (free of charge as always).

this is a service to keep ALL your devices updated almost instantaneously without the need to manually "sync." it will "push" out updated information to all of your computers and the iphone over the internet....very helpful for me. i have a work computer, laptop, and iphone...all of which need to have the same calendar, address book, and email. this will be very nice to have.

also, you'll be able to send large files very easily through email (password protected if needed)...like what "whalemail" and "YouSendIt" do. which is also handy for me, because i'm in the music business and am constantly sending out files through email.
    "Beware the voice without a face."

Whoa this requires iphone firmware 2.0? Thats what it says on apples webiste, well that just eliminated most of us didn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by DamianMavis View Post
    Whoa this requires iphone firmware 2.0? Thats what it says on apples webiste, well that just eliminated most of us didn't it?
    Any iPhone gets a free upgrade to 2.0, iPod touchs can get it for a small fee.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pecalbar View Post
    Windows user
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

You want a list?

Finally my .Mac subscription isnt so useless. I currently only use it for back to my mac.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast