Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Another day, another new tidbit on iPhone 3G

Default Another day, another new tidbit on iPhone 3G
    So apparently the latest firmware got leaked/found, this firmware contains some information regarding the hardware its working on, which leads to some pretty down-to-Earth assumptions of what we'll be seeing on Monday. Here's the rundown:

* Infineon PMB6952 / S-GOLD3 six-band UMTS / HSDPA transceiver (as we'd heard)
    * Murata LMRX3JCA-479 tri-band amplifier (we're assuming for the 3G)
    * Sony SP9T antenna switch for GSM / UMTS dual mode
    * ARM 1176JZF-S - Main CPU (same as in 1st gen iPhone)
    * Skyworks 77427 chip - UMTS / HSDPA tx 1900MHz, rx 2100MHz
    * Skyworks 77414 chip - UMTS / HSDPA 1900MHz
    * Skyworks 77413 chip - UMTS / HSDPA 850MHz
    * Internal build model number: n82ap (1st gen iPhone was model m68ap)
    * UMTS Power Saving option - on or off
    * Hooks for Global Locate Library (GLL), software that handles A-GPS related commands for the host processor

For those that don't care about the guts and want just the rundown of things:
    1- It has 3G, but it won't work with T-Mobile's 3G (different range)
    2- It doesn't have true GPS, but A-GPS which is better than locate me, but it still uses cell towers to transmit/receive data.

[via engadget]

EDIT

Regarding GPS and 3G:

3G: T-mobile US (not sure about UK) indeed uses 1700mhz. Thats the "official" frequency of that band, even if it uses 2100mhz also. iPhone will not support 1700.
    A-GPS: Ok, I jumped the shark on this one before realizing what A-GPS really is, user boeselhack explains is below:

Quote Originally Posted by boeselhack View Post
    in my point of view it has REAL gps.
    a-gps means "assisted gps", look here:
    Assisted GPS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

that means the gps chip is assisted by the carriers networks to get a better and quicker positioning. so i think it's even better than "normal" gps.
    Last edited by Happy Noodle Boy; 06-07-2008 at 02:13 PM.

Awww man, I wanted it to work on T-Mobile

Thanks

damn. no real gps.

If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

That's bad for no real GPS, this just means that other phones like N95 can compete. Thanks for the information though

"Everybody has common sense, but most just don't use it, then you wonder why?" - Neo-Tech

1- It has 3G, but it won't work with T-Mobile's 3G (different range)

T Mobile US or T Mobile UK, can someone please clarify.

Peace Toothpick

Livin the iPhone Life Apple iPie's Avatar
    Thanks

NO GPS? NO WAY!

no gps is going to make people not want to buy this phone......... no gps is going to make me think a little if i want to buy the phone or not.... its one of the major things i was looking forward to in the new iphone!! i hope the gps hardware is wrong!! haha it must of been a typo....

Livin the iPhone Life Apple iPie's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by belezaman View Post
    no gps is going to make people not want to buy this phone......... no gps is going to make me think a little if i want to buy the phone or not.... its one of the major things i was looking forward to in the new iphone!! i hope the gps hardware is wrong!! haha it must of been a typo....
    If it does NOT have GPS,I will buy it anyways. Becaurse it will be thinner and I hope it gonna have bigger display though..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default i believe: it has real gps
    in my point of view it has REAL gps.
    a-gps means "assisted gps", look here:
    Assisted GPS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

that means the gps chip is assisted by the carriers networks to get a better and quicker positioning. so i think it's even better than "normal" gps.
    what do you mean?

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to boeselhack For This Useful Post:

Chase817 (06-07-2008), huntor (06-07-2008), mikdiamon (06-07-2008)

If they would just enable all bluetooth profiles I could just use it with my bluetooth gps receiver!

Quote Originally Posted by boeselhack View Post
    that's tight. but i never really used the "locate me" feature, which in a decently big city worked pretty well.. so gps isn't that big of a deal to me.

3G is though. dial-up internet speeds kill me. i feel like im in the 90's.

Won't work on T-Mobile... Shoot me. And no real GPS? Wow, buzz-kill.

Quote Originally Posted by kiddjones View Post
    Won't work on T-Mobile... Shoot me. And no real GPS? Wow, buzz-kill.
    And I just read on Engadget that their trusted source who played with the 3G iPhone that there is no front-facing camera, ie no iChat... So will the new iphone have any new features other than just 3G? I mean, hopefully the GPS will be REAL GPS. And I guess video recording. I don't know... I'm still pissed it won't work on T-Mobile.
    Last edited by kiddjones; 06-07-2008 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    i totally anticipated that it wouldn't work on t-mobile's network, which is why i picked up the current iphone. so satisfied with it......and as for GPS, that's why i bought the tomtom one

Quote Originally Posted by darius359 View Post
    i totally anticipated that it wouldn't work on t-mobile's network, which is why i picked up the current iphone. so satisfied with it......and as for GPS, that's why i bought the tomtom one
    So are you guys saying the 3G won't work with T-mobile or the phone itself?

Just need some clarification. I know the software was supposed to be the same so it could be unlocked/jailbroken.

I'm not getting the iPhone 2 anyways, just wondering.
    "Thanks" button. Learn it. Use it. Love it.

I am sure it will work..its just the matter of time though

Quote Originally Posted by buy3giphone View Post
    I am sure it will work..its just the matter of time though
    Unless T-Mobile changes their entire 3G network to compatible frequencies, this new iPhone will simply not be able to access their 3G data. EDGE will work as it works now but if you're in T-Mobile right now, forget about 3G on your iPhone if this is true.

it wont work on tmobile at all? or just the 3g wont work?

T-Mobile's 3G is simply inaccessible if these hardware specs are correct. Regular phone functions + EDGE should still work ok.

Is there any hope of this working with my bluetooth gps receiver?

i dnt think tmobile is stepping up there 3g anytime soon though they suk! lol

u think it would b possible to ichat with it (video chat) over wifi without the 3g?
    Last edited by lor443; 06-08-2008 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast