+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: German iPhones Unlocked via iTunes

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
maybe we can fake a German IMEI to fool itune so our iphone can get unlocked officially? that is if we know which IMEI are German of course?
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

maybe we can fake a German IMEI to fool itune so our iphone can get unlocked officially? that is if we know which IMEI are German of course?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Doesn't Germany also have the buyers right law (or whatever you call it), where you can return a product within 7 days if you are unhappy with it?

That would give ze germans unlimited trials at examining the hopefully unencrypted packages and experimenting with this.

I am guessing orange in France will have to use the same method .. 2 days left.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iBwizzle View Post
    Now they wanna began to unlock the iPhone legally. How will this affect AT&T as the main service provider? iF all plays out well iWanna ditch my 2yr. agreement and hop on the prepaid data plan and get an separate unlimited callin' service provider.
    The A in AT&T stands for American. Last time I checked AT&T didn't operate outside of the U.S. So how is a program for German citizens going to affect America? The phone is even more expensive there than here, let's not forget shipping adds at least $90 on top of that. Not a very attractive scenario if you are an American contemplating an unlocked phone being shipped to you from Germany.
    Hmm...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krux View Post
    Doesn't Germany also have the buyers right law (or whatever you call it), where you can return a product within 7 days if you are unhappy with it?

That would give ze germans unlimited trials at examining the hopefully unencrypted packages and experimenting with this.

I am guessing orange in France will have to use the same method .. 2 days left.
    Yes, quite probably. The good news is that the French iPhone community is VERY active, unlike it seems ze German one...As the french have an Installer app repository, I wouldn't be surprised if they posted, hmm, something interesting quite soon after they got their hands on an "officialy" unlocked iPhone.

Thanks

Default Unlocking at the mall...
    I was walking in the mall 2 days ago and at one kiosk that sells phone accessories (chargers and tacky covers) they had a sign that said "We unlock phones" and had pictures of cel phones (not iPhone).
    I laughed when I saw it and thought "Wow how ballsy to advertise"

I'm not up on other phones but is there such a thing as unlocking cel phones in general or have I been in Apple mode for too long?

jam
    Thanks

ye other phones need unlocking^^ unless bought sim free or not locked by the provider lol you have been in apple mode to long.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    All cell phones are generally sold locked in North America, but I know that AT&T will give you the unlock code if you ask as long as you've been a customer for more than 3 months. I have a few AT&T unlocked RAZR in the family for foreign travel use. I suspect they may hand out unlock code for the iPhone in the future, or they may not.

Thanks

This could work, all we do is just change where iTunes sends the IMEI to, to our own server and get that unlock issued. Easier said then done. Or maybe entering a special number for the IMEI (all 0's for instance) gets the unlock done. In any case, good news, iTunes can unlock phones!

My iPhone is a Part of Me mofolo's Avatar
    Thanks

Erh, if anyone said, Change your IMEI to a german one, I'm pretty sure that'll land you like 7 years in jail..

Its a really serious offense.

And even if we could change the IMEI to something else, im sure apple would have a database of all the phones that are pending unlock.

Its gonna be damn hard guessing them IMEI's...
    myRepoSpace.com - Easily create your own Cydia Repo.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Apparently there are quite a few people, also from the surrounding countries of Germany, who are very much interested in an unlocked iPhone. The German news are full of complaints of people who run into one of the T-Mobile stores to purchase an iPhone and the staff is not even informed yet about how to tell them about activation. As of T-Mobile the process when buying an iPhone that will be unlocked is getting the IMEI # from the phone along with the iTunes eMail add of the customer. I don’t know, if you should submit a different eMail add than the one registered with iTunes will make the unlock process not workable?!

Furthermore there is quite some news of people from other European countries, who are going to Germany to get the unlocked phone. Then for their great surprise to figure out that the SIM unlock can take up to 10 days from Apple and even if their SIM cards are working they surprisingly have to suffer from not working SMS and crashing phone apps.

Looks like the T-Mobile staff mostly don’t know anything about unlocking iPhone’s. The spinning managers are telling a program like this came so surprising and training their staff for something that fits on a small piece of paper would take weeks if not months.

By the way, Debitel, another German cell network provider announced a new plan for the iPhone in Germany for next week. They are telling that anyone who buys the unlocked iPhone for 999.00 Euro (~1,500.00 USD) from T-Mobile will get 600 Euro (900.00 USD) back from Debitel if an iPhone contract is closed with Debitel for 2 years. The contract prices are slightly less expensive. Although there are no information about Hot Spot usage and alike available, the better contract deal sticks to T-Mobile.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Legitly unlocked phones will be extremely useful because you can update the firmware on them without any damages to your phone...

iPhone? More like MyPhone catriple's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5h00p3r_MAN View Post
    Legitly unlocked phones will be extremely useful because you can update the firmware on them without any damages to your phone...
    Wow... Captain Obvious strikes again!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5h00p3r_MAN View Post
    no kidding !!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone maXimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Brilliant deduction!!!
    Last edited by maXimus; 11-28-2007 at 10:08 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
    So we all know that the factory unlocked iPhone was coming, but we didn't know how it would get here.

Would it be straight out of the box unlocked? The answer is no. When someone in Germany buys an unlocked iPhone the IMEI is first send straight to Apple. It takes Apple about 24 hours to update their database.

At that point you just plug your iPhone into itunes and it is unlocked within seconds. This shows that iTunes is in fact capable of unlocking the iPhone. Will this system be hacked creating a whole new kind of unlock? We'll see . . .

via macrumors
    but just thinking ......... if they can unlock phones through itunes,......... what stops them locking illegally unlocked ones, just a thought, regards

iPhone? More like MyPhone maXimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Default n00b needs help PLEASE!!!
    My phone has been connected to iTunes for over 24 hours but still it's locked. Is there an "unlock" button somewhere in iTunes?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maXimus View Post
    My phone has been connected to iTunes for over 24 hours but still it's locked. Is there an "unlock" button somewhere in iTunes?
    lol at you.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default iPhone in France
    Orange announced pricing for the iPhone in France today.

Orange will be selling the iPhone for 399 euro along with one of four plans with prices ranging from 49 euros to 119 euros per month. All plans include unlimited internet and visual voicemail.

Customers who don't wish to subscribe to those particular plans can instead pay 549 euro and use another Orange plan. Finally for 649 euro, customers can purchase an iPhone with no required contract or obligation to Orange. The iPhone itself, however, will still need to be unlocked. With all options (399, 549, 649 euro), any customer may unlock the iPhone for an addition 100 euro during the first six months. After six months, the iPhone may be unlocked for free in accordance with French law.

Thanks

Man thats soo cool! save yourself alot of time
    (/)EMESIS

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daveparki View Post
    but just thinking ......... if they can unlock phones through itunes,......... what stops them locking illegally unlocked ones, just a thought, regards
    I think words are getting thrown around and mixed up. It's not "illegal" to unlock your iPhone. Unlocking your iPhone via an alternate method other than iTunes is not supported by Apple.

Apple won't go out of their way to unlock your specific iPhone. As with the previous unlocked iPhones, Apple didn't re-lock the phones. The user did. Apple even warned people about applying future firmware releases as they may render the iPhone useless if you've unlocked it previously.

With all that said, if a true unlock is achieved (via iTunes workaround or other), firmware updates shouldn't re-lock your phone as it has been already unlocked. I highly doubt that Apple would purposely lock phones. With select European countries getting a by with unlocked iPhones, it will only be a matter of time before the same happens everywhere else.