+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Solar Powered iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The way I have kept this iPhone that won't last a week. I'v got a massive dent on the back case, loads of dents and scratches on the sides and
    Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

The way I have kept this iPhone that won't last a week. I'v got a massive dent on the back case, loads of dents and scratches on the sides and worst of all the black cover at the back has snapped off. Hmmm........an excuse to buy the 3g iphone.

Thanks

"But I need just onnne more minute to install the Band Instrument Pack!

Good thing I have a built in charger that'll do just that.

Give me a minute of power."

haha, yay!

Thanks

Default I Think People Dont Realize How Cool This Would Be
    i just came back from cancun & i wish i did not have to take the extra wire i like to travel light. this would also be great for camping or when you are at a freinds BBQ and are low on power or for emergency use. etc.......

Green Apple
    Thanks

doubt we'll see this on the 3g iphone but maybe the next generation

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

is everyone forgetting that when you use a solar calculator you are in doors..
    ( room lighting )
    so that means when in a meeting or what ever just have your iphone out on the desk or something... does not mean you have to be in the sun getting melanoma with your iphone

Thanks

Blah. My phone is in the case most of the time, and I'm not about to leave it laying around in a lit area so it can charge. Interesting idea, nonetheless.
    Apples taste good.

Green Apple
    Thanks

i like this idea its "green" so people will buy it, however, not the reason i would pay for it. a phone with extended battery life means that my phone would always be working, no more "oh sh** my phone is dead and i need to make a call" because you accidentally left it playing music all night. working in a well lit workplace comes to the rescue. idk im probably not making sense but this is cool as hell and i would trade my current phone away for it
    T-mobile has stolen my wallet's heart

Green Apple
    Thanks

pay more 199 bucks then

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i rarely put my phone out on sun light, or leaving it on the table in the public/office. Simply I don't want it to drop on the ground and damage, or stolen. So most of the time it remains in my pocket.

Thanks

Is it going to charge off any type of light or just sunlight?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

this was on the yahoo homepage a week and a half ago. i figured you guys had already jumped all over this. so didnt bother doin a write up. damn.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tattoojack View Post
    this was on the yahoo homepage a week and a half ago. i figured you guys had already jumped all over this. so didnt bother doin a write up. damn.
    Yea I saw it on yahoo too

Green Apple
    Thanks

I don't think they'll make this to an actual feature. I believe that the LCD cells will burn being under the sunlight to long, but thats if someone solely charges their phone via solar energy.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cherrysoda_zx View Post
    I don't think they'll make this to an actual feature. I believe that the LCD cells will burn being under the sunlight to long, but thats if someone solely charges their phone via solar energy.
    lol

My iPhone is a Part of Me mofolo's Avatar
    Thanks

anything to increase the poor battery life of the iPhone is good enough!

Plus I dont have a wall charger, so i really depend on my PC being on for an extra 4 hours of the day just to get a full charge..
    myRepoSpace.com - Easily create your own Cydia Repo.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I think this is a very innovative idea that has great potential. I don't think Apple would implement this product if it would damage the phone or "melt the LCD screen"... that's just a warranty nightmare, bad publicity, and plummeting stock prices...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

They need to use Gallium Nitride in their components first, then utilize solar energy. Otherwise, silicon cells just dont have the efficiency needed to do anything with the iphone.

Thanks

I hope the cells charge in all light because that would be freakin amazing. And you don't have to have your phone on (meaning the screen is active and not asleep) for it to charge. It would not "burn or melt" the screen... that is silly. Also this patent (unlike motorola's patent for a similar use) involves possibly covering the whole phone in the invisible cells rather than just the screen. Meaning you could just turn it over in the sun to avoid MELTDOWN!!!!!AAAHHH!!! lol.
    iPhone: iPhone 3G (had original OTB 1.1.1)
    firmware: 2.1
    status: Not Pwned (too much trouble for not as much reward now that Appstore is around, I like being able to back up my iPhone and do updates without having to completely erase everything and start over.)
    service: AT&T (Cingular) USA
    MMS: not applicable

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ok so is this 2ns gen hopes or 3rd gen hopes because i think that a lot of you guys are really ignorant to what solar power is. If you have solar cells under the screen that in no way means that you have to hold it outside under the sun thats just stupid and maybe would "melt" the screen. in reality you would just have to keep it out ANYWHERE because no matter what it would get a small amount of solar rays and if you live in arizona like I do all i will have to do is put it out of my pocket when im in the car and it will have a solar dream. This would be almost as impressive as things charging off the magnetic field and solar power is something apple would do.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

well this can mean two things. either the 3g iphone is not coming out june 9th. obviously its clear why i say that. apple wouldnt file a patent 2 weeks before launching a new phone, and they wouldnt have enough time to integrate these solar panels in the iphones. the other thing could be that the old jobso plans on releasing a new iphone not to long after the 3g iphone. just my two cents