Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Vodafone Attacks!

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,226 Posts

Default Vodafone Attacks!
    Vodafone is legally attacking T-Mobile Germany, saying they must stop selling the iPhone if it is only associated with a 24 month contract when sold.

According to T-Mobile, the "legal basis for the injunction is being examined," but as of yet they are not stopping their sales or changing their policies.

Could be good for all of us!

UPDATE: T-Mobile is now offering the iPhone for sale unlocked in their German stores at a price of 999 Euros, or ~1500 USD.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

only good for germans, they are not talking about unlocking the phones simfree but merely that in germany the only way to buy the iphone is to buy the contract aswell. whereas in the UK you can buy the iphone on the pretence you'll buy the contract later.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,226 Posts

Exactly.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks

Serves Apple right, in my opinion. Just when you thought they would get away with their extortion.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Thanks

The Germans said they are trying to set a precedence, so other companies don't follow Apple's lead and start requiring long contracts with the sale of their phones. That kinda daft thinking (Apple's) would shred the market.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Here in Belgium there already is a law against selling phones (or any other device) that are associated with a certain provider. So I wonder how Apple is going to get around this. Maybe they won't sell the iphone here at all..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dej4y View Post
    only good for germans, they are not talking about unlocking the phones simfree but merely that in germany the only way to buy the iphone is to buy the contract aswell. whereas in the UK you can buy the iphone on the pretence you'll buy the contract later.
    How different buying iPhone in Germany is from buying iPhone in UK? From Apple's website I understand that it's the same: you go to T-Mobile store, buy an iPhone and then pay for the contract later when setting up the phone in iTunes. Or is it? Can't you just get the phone and then unlock it so it can be used with any carrier (yes, I know you can't unlock iPhones with new bootloaders just yet)? Sorry, a lot of questions but I'm a little confused.
    MacBook (Core Duo) running Leopard, UK iPhone: SW Unlocked for DNA Finland

in germany you have to sign the contract in the store!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to noob2profi For This Useful Post:

tuomas92 (11-20-2007)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by noob2profi View Post
    Many thanks for this info.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I heard a disscusion on the radio the other day, where they believed in France Apple were going to have to sell an unlocked version of the iphone, as well as the version tied to Orange. I heard this was down to French law. Apple it was thought would sell a much more expensive version to make it less attractive and to gain back what they would loose in profits made from calls.
    Not sure if this is the case but the program was either Radio 4 or Radio 5 Live (UK)
    "They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realize that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
    The late, great Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by noob2profi View Post
    How about if you order it online o_0
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    How about if you order it online o_0
    U can't! If you wanna buy an iPhone in Germany
    u need to go to the T-Mobile store, sign the contract
    and pay 399 .
    it's a raduletzgo

Default Telekom is announcing to sell SIMLOCK FREE 999
    Today the german Telekom / T-Mobile announced to sell the iPhone without SimLock for 999 .
    I think, this is because of the Vodafon action.

I hope the "Free" System will be released in any forum.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raduletzgo View Post
    U can't! If you wanna buy an iPhone in Germany
    u need to go to the T-Mobile store, sign the contract
    and pay 399 €.
    Well, Apple tells me on its own website very clearly that I can get iPhone from T-Mobile store, T-Mobile online store and Apple online store.

Link: http://www.apple.com/de/iphone/buy/

Edit: Hmm, looks like you can't get iPhone itself direct from Apple. Apple just sells accessories for it.
    Last edited by tuomas92; 11-21-2007 at 05:42 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Allright, even if you can buy it online, you still need to sign the contract.
    it's a raduletzgo

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raduletzgo View Post
    Allright, even if you can buy it online, you still need to sign the contract.
    Yeah, I just noticed that too. I'll turn to look at the UK-phone then

Last edited by gorgont; 11-21-2007 at 06:54 AM.

they also unlock phones that were sold on the 19th till today. the 19th was the day of the restraining order.
    So this would mean that they have a special tool from apple that does unlock it as it was reportet that they dont exchange the phones but unlock them richt in the store!

Default quoting macrumors
    To be in compliance with a court ruling, Deutsche Telekom announced today that they will immediately start selling an unlocked iPhone without contract for 999 euro (US $1,477). The iPhone will still be sold, as before, with 2 year contract for 399 euro ($US $590).

Bloomberg reports that customers who purchased the iPhone in Germany after November 19th may have their iPhone unlocked for free. Existing German iPhone customers can reportedly also receive the unlock for a fee.

Prior to this, the only unlocked iPhones in existence have been "hacked" with 3rd party applications. This introduces legitimate unlocked iPhones into the marketplace that will presumably withstand future iPhone software updates.

Let's hope someone finds a way to make iPhones simlock-free without having to worry for any other firmware updates!

I can't imagine to see german customers go back to t-mobile stores everytime they've updated their firmware

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast