+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AFP for iPhone and iPod touch

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by tadelv I kinda disagree on this one. although cyberduck is really great, i still find the finder nicer somehow + you can assign icons to the iphone
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tadelv View Post
    I kinda disagree on this one. although cyberduck is really great, i still find the finder nicer somehow + you can assign icons to the iphone disk

Ultimately afp = cyberduck = ssh in terminal
    i'd say it goes by the ease of use.

off topic: still waiting for voice dialling and safari alternative
    safari alternative? now you're just getting greedy

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie-Mac View Post
    Not if you turn off SSH in Services app
    Unfortunately I've noticed on more then one iPhone that Services.app doesn't always really turn off those functions when running 1.1.1

So for me not to be trusted.

I take it that the Services.app has to be updated to have the ability to turn off AFP?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drcody View Post
    Unfortunately I've noticed on more then one iPhone that Services.app doesn't always really turn off those functions when running 1.1.1

So for me not to be trusted.

I take it that the Services.app has to be updated to have the ability to turn off AFP?
    I'm using Sysinfo... does the job. you can kill all the processes there

And yes, i am greedy brand1130

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Works great! AFP for iPhone FTW!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quoting Erica Sadun : [Hopefully soon, we'll see not only an Installer.app version but one with a controllable launch daemon that will let you enable and disable the service as desired.]

I guess I'll wait for it ...

Thanks

ok first of all people, this is AFP (Apple Filling Protocol) meaning it utilizes a protocol that is Mac specific. now if you could incorporate this protocol on a M$ system more power to you. but that would be the only way this method of mounting the iphone would allow you to use this with a Windows piece of **** computer.

oh and btw i just did this on my iPhone and it worked beautifully. so now i can mount it to my Finder window and it just works. GO APPLE! Think Different!

btw file transfer seems to be a bit quicker not sure, but it seems to be a bit quicker using AFP instead of ssh
    Last edited by commando1257; 11-12-2007 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Powerbook G4 17"-- 10.5 Leopard
    iPhone 1.1.1 T-mobile
    iPod 80 gig Video

Green Apple
    Thanks

can someone put together a detailed tut on how to do this? i have no idea how going by the guide on TUAW. i cant even fine opt/iphone/!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default AFP install went wrong
    This is bugging me. Can anybody help please?

I created a folder on the Mac called opt. In that iphone. In that afp with the unstuffed files.

In terminal on the iPhone I ran the line of text in terminal to start the startserver.sh with the ampersand.

It returned a code [1] 82 and although the iPhone is still doing all that it normally does, there is no afp service.

When I now try and access the iPhone via Fugu it returns this error.

@ Warning: Remote host identification has changed! @

Can anybody help me on this one please?

Regards, Richard

i cant even fine opt/iphone/

You have to create a folder called opt then within that a folder called iphone and then put the unstuffed afp folder inside that as far as I can work out.

Richard
    Last edited by Richard Goulden; 11-12-2007 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,222 Posts

If remote host identification has changed, you should just be able to hit ok or yes and move forward...

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Green Apple
    Thanks

polly, do you think that we will see this packaged and on installer very soon ? for those of us who are having a tough time with it manually?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Or for us new at programming, a more clear step by step manual process!
    Apple

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If remote host identification has changed, you should just be able to hit ok or yes and move forward...

Alas not. The only way I can now access the iPhone from the MBP is via Cyberduck. It reports that the Remote Host has changed.

Do you know if the permissions need changing on the files that are copied to the iPhone? I presume that I now need to stop this before chucking the folder off the iPhone?

Any help appreciated please.

Regards, Richard

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,222 Posts

/Users//.ssh/known_hosts.

Please edit that file by hand and remove the line containing your phone's IP address.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

iPhone? More like MyPhone catriple's Avatar
    Thanks

This is the best/coolest thing that has come out since jailbreak! Huge Props to Core! Definately worth the time to develop! I cant wait to see the updates! No more SFTP! YEAAAAAAHHHHH!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

where exactly do you put the /opt folder, everytime i run the command it says no such directory exsists.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    wow, I finally get to help some poor soul on how to do some of this stuff. I finally get to give back.
    some of this stuff you will have to know or find elsewhere, but it is the iphone modding basics...

get the afp tar on your computer. unarchive the tar file. make a folder structure opt/iphone/afp/the_files_unarchived
    upload this folder structure to the root of your phone via fugu or cyberduck. this is where you see _MACOSX, Applications, bin, and other folders. once the folders and files are there launch terminal on your iphone (Term-vt100) found in installer.app /system (i believe). in terminal enter " bash /opt/iphone/afp/startserver.sh & " without the quotes. the terminal will not respond, but an error response means it didn't work

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That's better. A decent explanation on how to do it for those of us who can't speak complete geek.)

Just as a small addition. You also need to make sure that permissions on the file you load on the iPhone are 0755.

Somebody was looking to access the iPhone via a PC. I wonder if one of these products would work?

http://www.acutesystems.com/scrtm.htm
    http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/

/Users//.ssh/known_hosts.

Please edit that file by hand and remove the line containing your phone's IP address.

Thanks for that. I can access the iPhone now but the MacBookPro still can't access the iPhone as a drive. I guess I'll have to wait until a real installer arrives.

Richard
    Last edited by Richard Goulden; 11-13-2007 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is absolutely great!!! I downloaded the file directly into my iPhone from the Frenchiphone repository via installer, and 20 seconds later I had my iPhone icon on my desktop!!!! This is way cool! Kudos and proficiats to CORE for this!!!

polly, do you think that we will see this packaged and on installer very soon ? for those of us who are having a tough time with it manually?
    AND..., as I stated above, the file IS available on the frenchiphone .com repository!

It makes the AFP set up completely transparent, all you have to do is manually launch the daemon with UIctl .

B.
    Last edited by brunophoto; 11-13-2007 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone RC_OZ's Avatar
    Thanks

What's the difference between iPhone Root Filesystem and Root's Home ?

That's the choice I get when connect. Thanks.

Also, why does it not see sub directories in Applications folder but seeing as a single APP file ? I want to backup my Application files but if it doesn't see subdirectories in Applications folder, it sucks.

Last question; If you kill the AFP process with sysinfo, it stops it but does it run again after reboot ?

thanks.
    Last edited by RC_OZ; 11-13-2007 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

what is the name of it on the frenchiphone repository?