+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Says NO MORE IPHONES

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Does anyone have any information on T-Mobile's 3G network here in the states? I really don't want to have to break my contract with them to go to AT&T when
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Does anyone have any information on T-Mobile's 3G network here in the states? I really don't want to have to break my contract with them to go to AT&T when this iPhone drops.

My iPhone is a Part of Me MattMac's Avatar
    Thanks

Omg, I'm getting exited.
    xD
    16GB iPhone 3G
    2.2 Pwned
    Dedicated Cydia User

2.2 GHz Intel MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Bootcamp w/ Windows XP

Thanks
    how much are 1st gen iPhones going for on eBay? Maybe i will list mine monday...
    Sent from my iPhone

Thanks

WTF? How long is Apple tryin' to wait to confirm the actual price? June is right around the corner. They can at least let us know so people and start savin' what little change the have to get one seein' that there no longer sellin' the first gen iPhone. Apple better have somethin' extraordinary up there shelves *cross fingers*...

Thanks

To answer a few questions:

T-mobile JUST introduced 3G recently.T-Mobile 3G - New York: looks like it is only in New York for now and will expand to Washington, D.C., Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas, Las Vegas and Los Angeles within the year.

Apple has (since the inception of the ipod) always introduced a "new version" of their product with more capacity and features. They do this very often. And it makes the people with the old ones sell them on ebay and buy the new ones. But wait! Doesn't ALL technology do this! It's a smart strategy and makes them money not to mention that as technology grows so do product lines. Can I complain about this... NO.

The new iPhone is rumored to have true GPS. Does this make you guys want to go buy one... most of the posts on here say no. However, 3G means streaming live tv, or any media for that matter straight from the internet or even your home computer. It means having flash (imho). It means good quality youtube without wifi. It's not JUST GPS (which imho is way cooler than you guys are making it out to be.) Possibly open the doors to having 3G cards for laptops etc. for people that normally wouldn't have one. But since they already have the plan... Also it could open the doors to multiplayer gaming and a whole slew of new applications that require faster connections including the new orb player that was recently released. Using it over 3G will be much better than edge.

You guys want to whine and complain about the price tag and I guess that's your right. But don't bring up all this crap about gas prices and "I gotta eat/wear clothes." Get a life... if you can't afford to eat and get a new iPhone then DONT GET ONE... There are much more important things in life than a phone. But does that mean apple should lower their prices so you can buy one? I can't afford to get a Lamborghini and also have shelter and food but does that mean that they should lower the price so that I can afford one? NO! Who does that? NOBODY! Yes there may be price cuts soon after and this may have something to do with claiming certain gains on their books and stocks, etc. But who cares, last time apple took care of everyone that payed too much so get over it. And it's funny to see people who love their iphone's get so pissed at the company that made the best phone in the world over the silliest crap. GG HF
    Last edited by burtthaman; 05-11-2008 at 09:28 AM. Reason: updated 3G information for t-mobile
    iPhone: iPhone 3G (had original OTB 1.1.1)
    firmware: 2.1
    status: Not Pwned (too much trouble for not as much reward now that Appstore is around, I like being able to back up my iPhone and do updates without having to completely erase everything and start over.)
    service: AT&T (Cingular) USA
    MMS: not applicable

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burtthaman For This Useful Post:

Napoleon_PhoneApart (05-11-2008), tsatryan (05-11-2008)

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,000 Times in 564 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by burtthaman View Post
    To answer a few questions:

T-mobile JUST introduced 3G recently.T-Mobile 3G - New York: looks like it is only in New York for now and will expand to Washington, D.C., Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas, Las Vegas and Los Angeles within the year.

Apple has (since the inception of the ipod) always introduced a "new version" of their product with more capacity and features. They do this very often. And it makes the people with the old ones sell them on ebay and buy the new ones. But wait! Doesn't ALL technology do this! It's a smart strategy and makes them money not to mention that as technology grows so do product lines. Can I complain about this... NO.

The new iPhone is rumored to have true GPS. Does this make you guys want to go buy one... most of the posts on here say no. However, 3G means streaming live tv, or any media for that matter straight from the internet or even your home computer. It means having flash (imho). It means good quality youtube without wifi. It's not JUST GPS (which imho is way cooler than you guys are making it out to be.) Possibly open the doors to having 3G cards for laptops etc. for people that normally wouldn't have one. But since they already have the plan... Also it could open the doors to multiplayer gaming and a whole slew of new applications that require faster connections including the new orb player that was recently released. Using it over 3G will be much better than edge.

You guys want to whine and complain about the price tag and I guess that's your right. But don't bring up all this crap about gas prices and "I gotta eat/wear clothes." Get a life... if you can't afford to eat and get a new iPhone then DONT GET ONE... There are much more important things in life than a phone. But does that mean apple should lower their prices so you can buy one? I can't afford to get a Lamborghini and also have shelter and food but does that mean that they should lower the price so that I can afford one? NO! Who does that? NOBODY! Yes there may be price cuts soon after and this may have something to do with claiming certain gains on their books and stocks, etc. But who cares, last time apple took care of everyone that payed too much so get over it. And it's funny to see people who love their iphone's get so pissed at the company that made the best phone in the world over the silliest crap. GG HF
    As far a what people can afford and not afford... there are some people in this world that is having a hard time in life right now.... so you might as well realize it. And they also would like the chance to afford a new toy as well....

I am not whinning about the price.... and what people have to have in life... but I do have a heart and I do feel bad for the people that are stuggling in life right now....

And I think people are concerned as to what Apple did with the first iphone... asking people to pay $600.00 and dropping the price a month later?

I am one of the lucky ones that can afford to chance technology around.... this is nothing new to me.... I rather like it... always something new coming out with tons of improvements.... the sky's the limit with technology!

But as I stated life is hard for many people in the world right now that would just love the chance to be able to afford one...

They will choose to buy one or not... this will be their decision..... as for me I won't stand in lines to get one... but I will go check it out at the store once it is released and then decide what it has to offer me or not at that time.... )

OS X - excellent enough to put on phones LGgeek's Avatar
    Thanks

I can afford to "indulge" myself with new technology but unless there is something more than GPS and 3g , I'll pass.
    I don't drink kool-Aid, I don't join cults.
    This is why I break out in cold sweat going to Apple retail store.

Thanks

@theetoothfairy ...... people who are "having a hard time in life right now" or "struggling to get by" may want all kinds of things but spending 600, 400, or even 200 on a cell phone should not be the main priority anyways? I don't understand what me saying what I said has anything to do with being heartless or not caring about those less fortunate. Yeah gas prices are up. And the economy is supposedly down, and there will ALWAYS be those "less fortunate..." There is always someone else out there who has more money. The thing is that money and iphones don't bring happiness. The people whining about the price bought an iphone to begin with which means they have exhorbitant amounts of money to waste on toys a.k.a. iphones. I don't care who you are. If you own an iphone that you bought personally then you have money. Because poor people don't buy iPhones... they buy groceries and try to pay their bills. I don't think anyone on this forum even knows the meaning of poor by the simple fact that they are using a computer on the internet to whine about iphone prices. game over.
    status: Not Pwned (too much trouble for not as much reward now that Appstore is around, I like being able to back up my iPhone and do updates without having to completely erase everything and start over.)

Thanks

@theetoothfairy ...... people who are "having a hard time in life right now" or "struggling to get by" may want all kinds of things but spending 600, 400, or even 200 on a cell phone should not be the main priority anyways? I don't understand what me saying what I said has anything to do with being heartless or not caring about those less fortunate. Yeah gas prices are up. And the economy is supposedly down, and there will ALWAYS be those "less fortunate..." There is always someone else out there who has more money. The thing is that money and iphones don't bring happiness. The people whining about the price bought an iphone to begin with which means they have exhorbitant amounts of money to waste on toys a.k.a. iphones. I don't care who you are. If you own an iphone that you bought personally then you have money. Because poor people don't buy iPhones... they buy groceries and try to pay their bills. I don't think anyone on this forum even knows the meaning of poor by the simple fact that they are using a computer on the internet to whine about iphone prices. game over.
    pwned. lol.

i wish this could be put in bold capitals on the homepage so that every person who feels apple "owe them something" can read it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You lie.

iPhones DO bring happiness!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rossmnz View Post
    You lie.

iPhones DO bring happiness!
    true... maybe apple should have an event where they go down to the local homeless area under a bridge somewhere and pass out iPhones with 2 year contracts instead of food

But seriously... I am very happy with my 8gb iPhone. It's one of the most amazing pieces of technology I have ever owned. Many thanks to all the hard work of the many MANY programmers, etc. that made jailbreaking and homebrew possible, and of course thanks to apple for making this ridiculous phone even exist. I will get a gen 2 iPhone with 3G because it has a ton of possibilities (refer to my quoted post at the top of this page, paragraph 3). Will I get it right off the bat?.. maybe, maybe not... I want more storage than 16gb to be honest. And if I didn't have to convince my wife of it I'd pay almost any price for one because they are worth it. That's just my opinion though and it can't be debated because to me it is worth it, to you it may not be. Ask yourself one question: Am I happy with my iPhone? If not then get a different phone. If you do like it then understand that releasing a new product is what happens in EVERY MARKET. High prices for top of the line products are also a normal thing. (for a good analogy think of the video game console market). Economics are behind apple all the way. In summation... stop complaining.

P.S. No one forced you to buy an iPhone. You knew before you bought it what was included with the package. The ONLY argument against that may be that the battery can not be changed out without a professional. But even that is a widely known fact. AND if you didn't know what you were buying when you bought a 300 to 600 dollar piece of equipment then you my friend are an impulse buyer with very bad decision making skills. Get information. Make an informed decision on purchases. And don't complain when technology increases and a new version of what you bought comes out with a steep price tag. Refer to Moore's Law. If this is a problem for you then please unplug everything you own and become a hippy.
    Last edited by burtthaman; 05-11-2008 at 06:49 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

@burtthaman - thank you for letting me see that there are thinking people on this site, and not just a bunch of pimply faced teenagers with no responsibilities and money left over from working at the mall.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsatryan View Post
    @burtthaman - thank you for letting me see that there are thinking people on this site, and not just a bunch of pimply faced teenagers with no responsibilities and money left over from working at the mall.
    Haha I love it when people like you make generalizations about teenagers, have you ever considered the fact that some of us are normal people that are as intelligent as u or even more so based on your comments. Not trying to sound harsh but I hate ignorant people. Anyway back to the topic at hand I agree with theetoothfairy; Apple's goal like that of any corporation is to make money and they do it by making cool products like the iphone if people dont like the prices than too bad there are plenty of others who will pay 700 for a phone.
    Last edited by Kaloyan; 05-11-2008 at 08:49 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

My apologies to all the teenagers out there. I have great admiration for many of the teenagers who are absolute geniuses in the creation and development of apps for this wonderful device. But, a careful look at my comments, which were probably better not said, was not toward all teens, but rather toward those individuals that post on here all too frequently, who seem to have money enough to purchase the iPhone, but no sense at all in how to properly modify it. And, I will also admit, that there are surely many adults posting here with the same characteristic. Again, my apologies.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaloyan View Post
    Anyway back to the topic at hand I agree with theetoothfairy; Apple's goal like that of any corporation is to make money and they do it by making cool products like the iphone if people dont like the prices than too bad there are plenty of others who will pay 700 for a phone.
    I'm assuming when you say you agree with theetoothfairy you are actually referring to me... I hope so.. he quoted one of my essays i left on this subject but he was actually trying to tell me that poor people need iphones and i'm a monster.. if I read it right (lol)

iPhone? More like MyPhone br8thw8's Avatar
    Thanks
    Not to rain on anybodies parade but can we get back on topic? I'm not saying you can't continue your philosophical discussion, but to move it somewhere else - just not in the iPhone News thread.

Thanks

So wait, what the hell happened to the supposed $199 price tag... anyone know?

I had planned on using my $100 store credit from when they gave credit for price drop of the first iPhone for people who bought it at the premium price and then sell my existing iPhone for $100... The price of $599 would totally foil my plans LOL.
    Last edited by mrt2; 05-12-2008 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

It doesn't matter whether you have money or not. All technology based manufacturers know it. It's about keepin up with the latest technology...... some consumers will buy the next pet rock whether or not they can feed their pie-hole or shelter their @ss. Go figure......... and wait for the new iphone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsatryan View Post
    My apologies to all the teenagers out there. I have great admiration for many of the teenagers who are absolute geniuses in the creation and development of apps for this wonderful device. But, a careful look at my comments, which were probably better not said, was not toward all teens, but rather toward those individuals that post on here all too frequently, who seem to have money enough to purchase the iPhone, but no sense at all in how to properly modify it. And, I will also admit, that there are surely many adults posting here with the same characteristic. Again, my apologies.
    Its cool I was a bit harsh too due to the fact that I was pissed off in general but anyway I am sorry as well and accept your apologies.

I'm assuming when you say you agree with theetoothfairy you are actually referring to me... I hope so.. he quoted one of my essays i left on this subject but he was actually trying to tell me that poor people need iphones and i'm a monster.. if I read it right (lol)
    Yeah I was really tired and like I said pissed off but yes I meant whoever was talking about how people who are not able to put food on their table are probably not too concerned about iphone prices and their features. And like I said I agree Apple makes high end products with prices to match and if people want to pay for them they do and if they don't well no one is forcing them thats what capitalism is they can get a Nokia or Sony Erricson or whatever. Anyway sorry about going off topic, as far as I know there is still no news about the new prices or anything.

Thanks

I would expect a slight upcharge for data if the phone is 3G. I have a 3G phone with an unlimited data plan that includes 1500 texts for $40/month....that was a special. So, I think you might see a $10~$20 upcharge for data with a new 3G phone (with included texting).