+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Change your wallpaper on the fly

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Retired Moderator arthursdomain's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Change your wallpaper on the fly
    Original link here

basically what this does is load any wallpaper you are currently surfing and place it as your own, without using a computer. now this is all fine and dandy and infact not my sugar, but... i was thinking further... couldnt we use this to initate on the fly theme changes?

posted and created by Justin Schwalbe

ok, so prepare for a nerdy post.. ready? mkay, good.

so i hacked together a quick little “program” for the iphone which will allow the user to change the wallpaper to whatever image they want. now you may be saying “but it already does that..” true, but if you want to grab a picture from an iphone wallpaper site and make it your wallpaper, you need to download it onto your computer, sync it over, blah blah blah. this one is a little different. check out the video.

thanks to #iphone-shell and all those crazy hackers for everything couldn’t have done this without them!

update:surprise surprise, people want to know how this works, ok here it is:
    1) get sshd, curl running on your phone. (see tuaw.com for info on that)
    2) put this bookmarklet in your bookmark bar (semi-optional) look familliar? it should, it is basically a hack up of #4.
    3) enable DemoApp in the SpringBoard (again, see tuaw), and put this as the DemoApp file (located in DemoApp.app). (don’t forget to chmod +x it)
    4) close all your safari windows but one, navigate to a website with a picture you like, run the bookmarklet, select the picture, leave that window open but go back to the app menu (the springboard)
    5) run DemoApp, tada!

That’s great, but what is it actually doing?
    When you click on “DemoApp” it actually is launching a bash script I made. This script will scan thru the contents of a plist file to find out which page Safari currently has open (only works with jpeg’s at the moment–need to get a good binary plist parser loaded on the iPhone.. any ideas?). It then calls curl to download that file, and places it in the proper place. It finishes things off with killing off SpringBoard to make it re-read the file. Voila!
    I actually used Stocks.app, mostly because I don’t have any stocks, so why have an application for it? And the text you see across the screen is actually a png that I took using screen capture, and uploaded it as “Default.png” inside the application’s .app dir.
    ARTHURSDOMAIN
    ModMyI.com Apps Reviewer

Retired ModMyi.com Moderator

Follow me on twitter: twitter.com/laynem

Reviewed Apps:
    Oregon Trail, Who Has The Biggest Brain, Lock Puzzle, Tweetie

Want an app reviewed? PM me with the app name

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

Ah.. I bet we could. Thats something to look into more. Very good.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

iPhone? More like MyPhone Shimizu1006's Avatar
    Thanks

interesting. defeniatly a step but still a little complicated.

i still cant figure out how to install it...
    Last edited by Shimizu1006; 07-30-2007 at 11:16 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Can someone explain how to detail this a little more. I have no idea how to install this. Thanks.

Thanks

how do i add wallpapers using iphoneinterface?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    Ah.. I bet we could. Thats something to look into more. Very good.
    That would be sweet, a dedicated little site with just the pictures/descriptions of the icons...once you click on it it will ask "are you sure you want to change icons" click yes or no and if you click yes it will say loading and wa-la your icons would be changed.

...woah i was dream there for a second :P

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MooShoo View Post
    Can someone explain how to detail this a little more. I have no idea how to install this. Thanks.
    same here, they keep saying tuaw.com but i don't find anything to dl anywhere.

Thanks

free to feel guilty on us and provide with baby steps so that every member can understand ....
    thanks 4 ur patience

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

First you need BSD and SSH on your phone... Install these through installer.

the original post has two links (in step 2 and step 3)
    the link in step 2 is a hyperlink for you to save in Safari like a bookmark.
    the link in step 3 is a file you install through SSH or iBrickr on your phone in /Applications/DemoApp.app/ and make sure the file is named 'DemoApp' and has the permissions 777 or 755 or chmod '+x' ..all of these should work, I've seen different things.

Use rSBT (available off Installer) to make DemoApp.app visible on your Homescreen (you may or may not need to add an 'icon.png' to /Applications/DemoApp.app/ on your phone). In Mobile Safari, browse to the site (MMi Gallery) with the desired wallpaper. Once on the page with the wallpaper, click the hyperlink and select the wallpaper. This ensures that the only thing on the page is the wallpaper image (not the rest of the website). Also, make sure you don't have any other pages open on other 'tabs'. Hit the home button while still on the page with just the wallpaper. Click the DemoApp icon (that you made visible with rSBT). That's it... It should even restart SB to load the wallpaper for you. Congrats.

Oh, and hit the "Thanks" button down there to the right! =)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to unclear For This Useful Post:

///Maybach (09-23-2007), alectra82 (09-29-2007), mariomejias (09-27-2007)

Green Apple
    Thanks

hey, that hyperlink does not work for me. i want to use that bookmarklet to get individual images to save with HistoryDL. I add it in internet explorer then sync to get it on the iphone.... but clicking it on the iphone does nothing.