+ Reply
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567 15 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: NEW GUIDE: Virginize, upgrade, and unlock. From 1.0.2 to 1.1.1.

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ///tonic View Post
    One question - I no longer have Installer as a result of restoring my phone during the virginizing process. Can I install it via independence as was done for anySIM? The Installer website says it's not yet functional for 1.1.1, but i've seen it in action on someone else's phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by udayc View Post
    Just one thing - anyone know how to get installer to load onto the phone - can I just run installer or do I need to do anything specific
    Installer.app is included in the viriginizing pack. Simply install it using iNdependence like you install anySIM, and then start it up to update it. I've updated the unlock portion of the guide to reflect this.

Quote Originally Posted by sucram65 View Post
    Restoring the baseband went fine for me. However, when I went into independence the prep for the 1.1.1 upgrade button was greyed out. I restarted the phone and relaunched independence but nothing changed. So I went ahead and started the upgrade to 1.1.1. Downloading the update now. Will see what happens.
    You most likely didn't have OpenSSH installed yet. To do so you need to click the Install SSH/SFTP/SCP button in iNdependence. If you have previously installed any SSH solutions, you will most likely also have to reinstall the BSD Subsytem in Installer.app.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonandmel View Post
    are there some other commands i need to type aside from ssh -1 root 192.168.0.xxx? because terminal wont connect to my phone.
    A little more info please? Does it throw an error? What prompt are you getting?

Quote Originally Posted by canadianiphone View Post
    Hi there,
    i started to use this guide...
    transfered all the files, set permissions...
    ssh'd into phone fine...

try to type
    cd /usr/bin

and when i hit the space bar for the space between cd and /usr
    it closes my connection...i have tried a few different things...uninstalling and reinstalling ssh...but nothing seems to work...
    can anybody lead me in the right direction?
    thanks

EdiT: after trying several times the problem is terminal, after connecting, will not let me enter any more than 3 characters before it closes the connection...anyone have any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by apartius View Post
    Instead of a # I have a sh-3.2# help please!
    When I type in "ls" nothing happens?
    You have tried to install multiple versions of OpenSSH. Install SSH using the iNdependence method, and then reinstall the BSD Subsystem using Installer.app (navigate to the Uninstall tab in Installer.app, click BSD Subsystem, and click "Re-install").

Quote Originally Posted by avamark View Post
    Ok, heres my situation... My phone was bricked, then used the guide to get back to 1.0.2...then I tried this..Everything was working fine for me with this up until the itunes section where im supposed to update. After a few minutes it gave me an error (cant remember the error number) that said cannot update. So after that it gave me the message about seeing the iphone in recovery mode. So after getting nervous as to what would happen, I just recovered back to the 1.0.2. firmware. So i went through all the steps to jailbreak and unlock and now Im back with unlocked 1.0.2. So i tried again to do this new guide and now im getting stuck at the backup seczone part, where i type "./norz seczone.backup 0x3FA000 0x2000" into terminal. It just hangs at "waiting for data..." So after I let that hang there for about 15 minutes...i just canceled out of everything. So now I have the unlocked 1.0.2. phone and everything seems to be ok...but now how should I get to 1.1.1. if it hangs at "waiting for data..." Thanks.
    Sounds like you aren't typing the bit about launchctl unloading the CommCenter. Restart the phone, and make sure you are typing that.

Quote Originally Posted by chasev2 View Post
    QUESTION!

During this process, do we need to use our original AT&T SIM card?
    I kept my T-Mobile SIM in the entire time.

Quote Originally Posted by simonca View Post
    1. It seems that the Services.app (which can turn of the SSH) does not work for either the SSH installed by iNdependence or the Installer.app. Is there a way to fix it? I heard keeping SSH open consumes battery.
    I never close SSH, and get at least 2 days with average use.

Quote Originally Posted by simonca View Post
    2. Indicated by Installer.app, the iPhone RAM lost about 30MB after the upgrade. Is it alright?
    Yes, 1.1.1 was a major upgrade, and that 30 MB is all firmware files.

Quote Originally Posted by fleischi View Post
    Hey guys,
    thanks for the great tutorial! I unlocked my 1.0.2 iPhone a few weeks ago with the unlock.app ( http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/IPh...ck_OS_X_Part_1 ).
    Is it possible for me to use your virginize-guide, or are there any known problems with unlock.app??
    No issues at all. The only unlocked iPhones this will not work with are ones unlocked through IPSF, the for-pay solution.

Quote Originally Posted by BeijingFaguo View Post
    I have an issue , when I use ./iUnlock ./ICE03.14.08_G.fls ./eliteloader.bin

I got : FW differences found
    instead of are equals

and after it's nto working

Any idea ?
    Were you on a 1.0.2 unlocked iPhone?

Quote Originally Posted by mgager View Post
    Steps 1-3 worked fine. Under the 4th section (Unlocking the 1.1.1 iPhone anySIM) at the end of step one after selecting yes is a dialogue box "If it says the host verification failed then click Yes to continue.", I get an error

Couldn't remove entry from /Users//.ssh/known_hosts. Please edit that file by hand and remove the line containing your phone's IP address.

If I open the known_hosts file I can't see my IP address. Does anyone know how to get past this step?
    Try manually deleting that file, and going at it again.

Quote Originally Posted by strike5 View Post
    same problem here
    8GB iPhone unlocked by iUnlock on Vers. 1.0.2 then (iDiot upgrade to 1.1.1) IMEI: 0049999.....

i doit all the things NEW but the problem:

"BSD Subsystem say: package download failed: can´t find host!"
    This is a simple Installer.app error. Try again a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by theliksta View Post
    Hi Guys,

Im running an unlocked 1.0.2 phone and want to upgrade to 1.1.1.i use mac osx and used the erica sadun method to jailbreak and unlock my phone.could someone tell me if this method is IPSF?
    You're good, go ahead. The IPSF method is the "iPhone SimFree" method, and is a for-pay unlock solution.

Quote Originally Posted by jjmsau View Post
    Yep - I'm in the same boat. Can't click on the pre 1.1.1 upgrade button in INdependence. Anyone?

** FIXED: just re-start OpenSSH on the iPhone. Then re-start INdepenednece, and the button becomes active.
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by arcsbite View Post
    Poetic - in " Unlocking the 1.1.1 iPhone anySIM" you tell people to ssh into the phone with the pass "dottie"
    is this right? I'm sure the 1.1.1 pass is "Alpine"
    Oh, right. I had people change the password in the previous step so I forgot. Guide updated, thanks.

I had 1.1.1 running fine until 2 minutes ago when a warning came up on itunes saying i needed to restore the iphone.i did this an now i have "activate iphone" on my iphone screen.when i go to itunes the at&t page comes up telling me that my sim isnt supported etc etc.i opened up independence and tried jailbreaking the phone or activating and it now tells e i have to downgrade to 1.02!!!!! whats going on? i upgraded succesfully 30 mins ago and now ive got a brick!!
    You didn't need to restore. You should have been able to simply restart the iPhone and be fine. Are you able to do so now?

Quote Originally Posted by christian.symmons View Post
    ok doing the update to 1.1.1, itunes says i have a 300mb iphone.... bit worried....... see if it goes ok tho
    This is normal, and is detailed in the guide.

Quote Originally Posted by pg3bton View Post
    will this guide work if you have used the original guide on here that used erica sadun's unlock.app or must you have unlocked with anysim?
    Anything except IPSF, as stated in the guide.

Please can someone help! I followed the virginizer and anysim etc, and succesfully upgraded my phone to 1.1.1,working fine.Then out of the blue while connected to itunes,a message telling me the phone needed to be restored.i did this and now i have the itunes screen with the at&t logo saying the sim card in this iphone doe snot appear to be a supported sim card,and on my iphone screen it says activate iphone.

I only upgraded from 1.0.2 because poetic folly is trustworthy and put up the guides which said worked fine and did for 1 hour,but now when i open independence 1.2.5,and try to activate or jailbreak,the message "error,you need to downgrade to version 1.0.2 the special upgread to 1.1.1" Im really unhappy with this as ive put time and faith into the guides on here and now i have a brick that i have no idea what to do next with.
    could someone please help me,and not ignore this?
    Follow the instructions in iNdependence then to repeat the process. I am unsure why this would happen, mine has been connected to iTunes many times, and I have not yet seen this issue...

Quote Originally Posted by ompputetteri View Post
    I have same problem. Has enyone solved this?

Edit: I think, that it should unistal OpenSSH (or something like that) called file from installer....
    No, simply reinstall the BSD Subsystem.
    Last edited by Kyle Matthews; 10-24-2007 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

christian.symmons (10-24-2007), ericidle (10-25-2007), EZO (10-24-2007), Junk13 (10-24-2007)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ok all done. unlocked with 1.1.1 on there!

rfp
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

my phone bricked after 2 hours use on 1.1.1 following this guide.

I don't think it has anything to do with poetic folly's guide though.

I trust him 100%.

To rectify I followed the downgrade guide

worked a treat, do exactly as it says.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I am stuck in the Terminal... After typing pasword as dottie, I get
    -sh-3.2# (not just # sign) and will not let me type more than 3 letters and closed my cnnection.

Tried to uninstall Open SSD from Installer and reinstall Open SSD.

Cannot reinstall BSD from installer: Package download failed: can't connect host

EDIT: Use INdependence, remove SSD, install SSD, go back to installer and reload BSD.

after that run terminal and # sign will come out.
    Last edited by birdieman; 10-24-2007 at 01:53 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi Guys,

Finally got back to 1.1.1 after i downgraded to 1.0.2 and then used the instructions on the independence help tab.

Many thanks for all of your work Poetic Folly,and quick responses! One thing though,why did the phone kick back to the at&t unsupported sim page when i attached to itunes? It just seemed a little weird that it went from ok to locked in the time it took to re-attach phone to laptop.The only thing i was running at the time was the apptap download,would this have done anything???

Curious to have some feedback.

Also in the virginizer steps,i never did get the file seczone.backup in either the user/bin file or in cyberduck but still managed to complete the steps and get everything working.Would this make a difference and cause any glitches?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jasonandmel View Post
    are there some other commands i need to type aside from ssh -1 root 192.168.0.xxx? because terminal wont connect to my phone.
    I can answer this!

You are typing the command wrong. That's the letter "L" not the number "1".

The command is:

ssh -L root 192.168.x.xxx

It's a lower case L though. I just capitalized it for emphasis.

I had the same error. I was typing 1 until I looked closer at the guide and saw it was an L.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey guys,
    I need your help. I virginized my iPhone and now I want to prepare my iPhone for the 1.1.1 update, but it doesnt work. The button is disabled. Do you have any idea??? here the screenshot:

Thanks for your help!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi all.

Thanks for the guide, PF!

But I'm curious about the final unlocking stage. I see that the iPhone-elite team is still working on a "true" unlock for 1.1.1. Does this mean to suggest that the current version of anySIM 1.1 will unlock a 1.1.1 iPhone for now ... but that we might run into more of the same problems (e.g., baseband downgrades, re-virginizing) with Apple's next firmware upgrade?

(Basically, I've not been able to find any info on what anySIM actually does in the new version. Is it just being destructive to the seczone like the previous version?)

Thanks in advance for any clarity that someone can provide me...
    Last edited by jChristopher; 10-24-2007 at 11:12 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey guys,
    I need your help. I virginized my iPhone and now I want to prepare my iPhone for the 1.1.1 update, but it doesnt work. The button is disabled. Do you have any idea??? here the screenshot:

Thanks for your help!!
    Same problem here, read something about restarting SSH but I'm not exactly sure on how to do that?

--edit: Never mind, installing SSH from Independence did the trick!
    Last edited by jarno1977; 10-24-2007 at 11:47 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Am I missing something?

I have a fresh out of the box 1.1.1 iPhone and I want to unlock it.
    Can I simply follow the following two guides to achieve this?

Preparing the 1.1.1 iPhone for Unlock/Modding
    Unlocking 1.1.1 iPhone

Or do I actually have to downgrade, virginize, upgrade, prepare for unlock and then finally unlock?

Can't I just use the two aforementioned guides?

Also, what precautions do I have to follow regarding my sim card during all these steps? Do I keep the AT&T card in the whole time? Or do I put in my carrier's sim card?

Thank you very much for all your hard work and any help!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by christian.symmons View Post
    ok solved my issue.

reloaded the .plist (launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.CommCenter.plist)

rebooted the phone got my operator logo back.

ran through the process again with this time doing

launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.CommCenter.plist

everything went smoothly
    followed this process and now my phone has no phone service. Terminal gives me and error of "nothing found to load" ...if I try putting in "launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.CommCenter.plist" it gives me an error of "no such process"...PLEASE HELP ME!

Edit: Ok, so I reinstalled and ran iUnlock and went through that whole set up and now my phone seems to be working except for it occasionally gives me a message of "No Sim" and I have to take out my card and put it back it. Any suggestions on how to fix this and/or update to 1.1.1.???
    Last edited by avamark; 10-24-2007 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Edit:

Developer
    Thanks

hi guys....
    while running iUnlock...
    i get this error....
    "FW differences found"
    I have never upgraded to 1.1.1.. and i've always been on 1.0.2

then i tried to restore baseband...
    and checksum for EEP file failed.... why?? i tried different EEP files from different sources.. even tried extracting it myself.. doesn't work

i'm stuck without phone function, and no wifi

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is there any guide how to get apptap going on the 1.1.1 unlocked?

ALSO:

This is a great tutorial works perfect for me. Thanks to the iPhone community and the author of this guide, YOU GUYS RULE.

Wired but I did not even had to unlock the phone it worked fine with my old cingular sim, no idea y. =)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I had the "FW Mismatch" forget the exact error and "Unable to download .FLS" error and was able to fix it. I ran Ieraser and erased the firmware then did a bbupdated to flash the firmware. Finaly ran through the guide and all is well now. Just thought this may come in handy for some with my same errors.
    Dave

16. The Following User Says Thank You to davedave1234 For This Useful Post:

Thaison (10-26-2007)

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rfp View Post
    my phone bricked after 2 hours use on 1.1.1 following this guide.

I don't think it has anything to do with poetic folly's guide though.

I trust him 100%.

To rectify I followed the downgrade guide

worked a treat, do exactly as it says.
    A few people have had this same issue. Which method did you use to unlock originally? Mine is fine, I have done a few with this method without issue. I'd like to isolate the problem. Give us a little background on your iPhone's history...

Quote Originally Posted by birdieman View Post
    I am stuck in the Terminal... After typing pasword as dottie, I get
    -sh-3.2# (not just # sign) and will not let me type more than 3 letters and closed my cnnection.

Tried to uninstall Open SSD from Installer and reinstall Open SSD.

Cannot reinstall BSD from installer: Package download failed: can't connect host
    Try reinstalling the BSD Subsystems. A network error or issue on their site could have been the reason you were unable to reinstall previously.

Hi Guys,

Finally got back to 1.1.1 after i downgraded to 1.0.2 and then used the instructions on the independence help tab.

Many thanks for all of your work Poetic Folly,and quick responses! One thing though,why did the phone kick back to the at&t unsupported sim page when i attached to itunes? It just seemed a little weird that it went from ok to locked in the time it took to re-attach phone to laptop.The only thing i was running at the time was the apptap download,would this have done anything???

Curious to have some feedback.

Also in the virginizer steps,i never did get the file seczone.backup in either the user/bin file or in cyberduck but still managed to complete the steps and get everything working.Would this make a difference and cause any glitches?
    Seczone.backup shouldn't have anything to do with it. I am not sure what the issue is there. Others have had a similar issue, although many more have had no issues at all. What had you previously done to your iPhone?

Hey guys,

Thanks for your help!!
    You need to install SSH first.

Quote Originally Posted by zeroMPHfallover View Post
    Am I missing something?

I have a fresh out of the box 1.1.1 iPhone and I want to unlock it.
    Can I simply follow the following two guides to achieve this?

Preparing the 1.1.1 iPhone for Unlock/Modding
    Unlocking 1.1.1 iPhone

Or do I actually have to downgrade, virginize, upgrade, prepare for unlock and then finally unlock?

Can't I just use the two aforementioned guides?

Also, what precautions do I have to follow regarding my sim card during all these steps? Do I keep the AT&T card in the whole time? Or do I put in my carrier's sim card?

Thank you very much for all your hard work and any help!
    Just those two guides should be fine.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

Junk13 (10-24-2007)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This is exactly what I did...it's really easy.

Download these:
    http://iphone-elite.googlecode.com/f...ginator_10.zip

http://rapidshare.com/files/64647223..._pack.zip.html

pf edit: here's an MMi mirror.

1. Install BSD Subsystem and OpenSSH via Installer or iBrickr

2. Extract the virginizer_pack folder from the zip file.
    Extract the virginator_10 folder from the zip file.
    Extract virginizer.sh from the virginator_10 directory and place in the virginizer_pack folder.

3. Connect to your WIFI, take note of your phone’s IP address (Settings-WIFI-Tap your network for the infro).
    SSH into your phone via WinSCP.
    Host is your phone’s IP iddress, user name is: root, password is: dottie. File protocol is SCP.

4. It’ll take a little bit to load up. You might get a prompt asking you to abort since it’s been 15 seconds, just ignore that and let it do it’s thing. You should now be in the phone, with the files on your computer on the left, and the iPhone’s directories on the right.

5. Navigate to the beginning of the tree and navigate to this folder: usr/bin

6. Drag the virginizer_pack folder from your computer (left window of winscp) to the /bin folder on the iphone.
    Make sure the virginizer_pack folder and its files have their permissions set at 0755. (Either hit F9 to change it, or right click the folder and click on properties).

7. Now, log into your phone via putty. Your phone’s same ipaddress, and the user is: root, password is: dottie.

8. Navigate to the virginizer_pack folder by typing in:
    cd /usr/bin/virginizer_pack

9. Give virginizer.sh permission to execute by typing in:
    chmod +x virginator.sh

10. Execute virginizer.sh by typing in:
    ./virginizer.sh

11. Follow all the prompts from here on and it’s all automated!!!

The hardest part is just figuring out WinSCP and Putty. After that it really is not complicated at all. My phone was virginized, I updated to 1.1.1 via iTunes. Activated, jailbroke, and unlocked successfully!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to n1c3jack3t For This Useful Post:

ericidle (10-25-2007), titeo (10-25-2007)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Dear All, Can somebody guide me to insall the latest AppTap after all these prcedures. I've followed the steps closely and now i'm running 1.1.1, but i need to know how to run 3rd party app. Thanks

Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davedave1234 View Post
    I had the "FW Mismatch" forget the exact error and "Unable to download .FLS" error and was able to fix it. I ran Ieraser and erased the firmware then did a bbupdated to flash the firmware. Finaly ran through the guide and all is well now. Just thought this may come in handy for some with my same errors.
    Dave
    mine was unabled to download .EEP coz of mismatch checksum
    i ran ieraser also.. but i still get the same problem.....
    so i cannot even do the bbupdate step properly coz of the checksum mismatch

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Help!! Independence error!!!
    i did all the steps to virginize the phone and all went well, i have also done everything up to where in independence i am supposed to click firmware then the pre 1.1.1 upgrade when i do that it trys to connect and give me this error
    "Couldn't remove entry from /Users/philipcarnevale/.ssh/known_hosts. Please edit that file by hand and remove the line containing your phone's IP address."

does anyone know how to fix this?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have put on installer.app on my phone but when I go and update it installer to the newest version 3.0b4 the file size is 0 bytes.

I have reinstalled the BSD Subsystem already.

Also when trying to remove some of the old apps it gives me some script error.

Thanks