Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tethering your iPhone to your Laptop for Mac & Windows

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_wayne View Post
    OH NO no CLI experience ... no prob

ok so

unzip that file to the desktop
    open terminal
    type the following
    cd Desktop
    cd "folder name here"
    chmod u+x *

then move jailbreak out
    change to the phonedmg directory
    cd "path goes here" for me that's ../../phonedmg
    ./jailbreak
    (it should run)

cd
    cd Desktop/"unziped folder"
    ./tetherify-osx-intel
    that should run..follow what it says ..

good to go
    This worked thank you.

The only error is the loading of the file the final step should read

cd
    cd Desktop/"unziped folder"
    ./tetherify-osx-intel.sh
    that should run..follow what it says ..

Heres a question I have my macbook connected through my iphone by modifying the settings of my wifi network named "chris" so I have 2 different settings saved on my laptop one being home which connects to chris and the second set to connect to the iphone..

Any way to do this on the iphone so I can save 2 different locations?
    Last edited by chrissurra; 07-27-2007 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

When would it be available to run this on the non-intel Macs? It sucks to have a powerbook and not be able to run these mods...

BTW..excellent mods!!

If you have access to a windows box or another mac all you have to do is install the socks script on the iphone then you would be able to use your powerbook with the iphone.

Quote Originally Posted by chrissurra View Post
    If you have access to a windows box or another mac all you have to do is install the socks script on the iphone then you would be able to use your powerbook with the iphone.
    How would I go about replacing the socks script on the iphone?

Quote Originally Posted by ~W~ View Post
    How would I go about replacing the socks script on the iphone?
    i dont know what im doing wrong but still no go.... arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh

Using windows or mac? There are guides in this thread to do both. The windows one in the first post works fine. The mac one from bruce wayne in post #17 works for intel macs.

using Powerbook g4, Of course its not an intel mac...

Who can explain this?
    Hmm...

The only way I could think of is using parallels and running the script. Other than that I dont really know I was going to use my work computer but figured out how to do it on my mac.

i updated my iphone to the newer firmware, im getting an AFC error no matter which of the two jailbreaks i use, i even tried jailbreaking with iFuntastic and following with the rest

please help

i've figured out all problems up until now, i have the socks installed..... i cant seem to figure out how to ad hoc them together
    Last edited by 89.tristan; 08-01-2007 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Everything worked in xp except when I do This

Then set your IP address to a static address, without a default gateway. In Windows XP and Vista you can run this command:

netsh interface ip set address "Wireless Network Conenction" static 10.3.3.1 255.255.255.0

I get the message "connection is not an acceptable value for source"
    Can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong?

thats more or less where i am, i cant set up the network with either my os x laptop or my windows laptop, if anyone could post a detailed guide on how to go through with that part then please do, all instructions have been tried so far.......... nothing works

1. Dowload tetherkit-osx

2. Run this code in terminal:

Last login: Wed Aug 8 13:34:57 on ttyp1
    Welcome to Darwin!
    sky-van-iderstines-computer:~ Sky$ cd Desktop
    sky-van-iderstines-computer:~/Desktop Sky$ cd tetherkit-osx
    sky-van-iderstines-computer:~/Desktop/tetherkit-osx Sky$ chmod u+x *
    sky-van-iderstines-computer:~/Desktop/tetherkit-osx Sky$ cd ~ Sky$
    sky-van-iderstines-computer:~ Sky$ cd phonedmg
    sky-van-iderstines-computer:~/phonedmg Sky$ ./jailbreak
    [jailbreak 1.0] by ziel w/ special thanks to GeoHot and the rest of the #iphone-dev crew.

Looking for iPhone...
    Sending Files...

*** If iTunes is running, please close it.
    *** Hold the POWER and HOME buttons for approximately 25s.
    *** Release when the display says 'Please Connect to iTunes'.

Sending More Files...
    Booting iPhone...

Waiting for iPhone to finish booting...
    Moving files into place...
    Cleaning up...
    Rebooting iPhone...

Enjoy your newfound freedom. Thank the devs at #iphone next time you see them for making this all possible.
    p.s. Like most other useful tools, this one may be dangerous if used carelessly. Always remember -- You brick it, you bought it.

p.p.s. I have no idea how 'My Humps' could possibly have gotten set as your ringtone.

sky-van-iderstines-computer:~/phonedmg Sky$ cd
    sky-van-iderstines-computer:~ Sky$ cd Desktop/
    sky-van-iderstines-computer:~/Desktop Sky$ cd tetherkit-osx
    sky-van-iderstines-computer:~/Desktop/tetherkit-osx Sky$ ./tetherify-osx-intel.sh
    Hello, this script will install and enable a SOCKS server on your iPhone.
    Script authored by Nate True ( http://cre.ations.net/blog )
    Mad thanks to:
    - ziel (for writing Jailbreak)
    - NerveGas (for compiling these programs for iPhone)
    - Nightwatch (for making a working iPhone compiler)
    And the rest of the #iphone dev team. Also thanks to the writers of srelay!

--------PHASE 1: Getting files off your iPhone---------

iPhoneInterface v0.3.1 built on Jul 13 2007

Waiting for phone... established.
    iPhone state: Activated
    Problem starting AFC: -402653150
    mv: rename com.apple.update.plist to com.apple.update.plist.orig: No such file or directory
    mv: rename update to update.orig: No such file or directory

--------PHASE 2: Uploading files and reconfiguring your iPhone---------

--------PHASE 3: Restarting your iPhone, twice---------

Press and hold the Power button on your iPhone until it shows the "slide to turn off" red slider.
    Slide it, wait for the phone to turn off, and press the power button to turn it on again.
    Then do it again. When your iPhone has started up the second time, press a key to continue.
    Press a key to continue...a

--------PHASE 4: Restoring original update configuration---------

cp: update.orig: No such file or directory
    cp: com.apple.update.plist.orig: No such file or directory

---------DONE!--------
    sky-van-iderstines-computer:~/Desktop/tetherkit-osx Sky$

3. Create an ad-hoc network from your computer and connect your computer to it
    4. Go into the wi-fi prefs in the iphone and connect to the ad-hoc network
    5. Click the chevron button and select "Static"
    6. Fill in the IP address as 10.3.3.2 and Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    7. Go into System Prefs in OS X
    8. Click Networks>Show Airport>TCP/IP>Configure IPv4: Manually
    9. IP Address: 10.3.3.2
    10. Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    11. Click "Proxies" and select "SOCKS"
    12. SOCKS Proxy Server: 10.3.3.2:1080
    13. Click Apply Now

This is what I've gathered from the instructions throughout this thread. However it is not working for me, so what am I doing wrong?
    Last edited by EverythingApple; 08-08-2007 at 12:29 PM.

cant seem to make a ad-hoc...any idea on a XP?

No matter what i do i cant get the jailbreak to work on my MacBook Pro, nor my windows machine! I funtastic works flawlessly for me though. So there is bound to be another way to do it. Or if the developers of ifuntastic could include it in the next version of ifuntastic that would be truley sweet!

Hey what kind of speeds do you push by going through this way ??

Thanks
    Default Create an Ad Hoc Wi-Fi Network for XP PC and iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by thaforgottenone View Post
    cant seem to make a ad-hoc...any idea on a XP?
    I've done this to create a successful XP to iPhone ad hoc connection (I can CMD >> ping the iPhone by ip address), but I haven't gotten the iPhone proxy to work. Maybe someone else can verify. The below looks long, but it's easy to do:

EDIT: I never got this to work correctly with the socks proxy, but it works great now with tinyproxy. Tinyproxy is available through AppTapp, and it's so stinkin easy that I'm editing this post with tinyproxy use instructions.

To get tinyproxy, install AppTapp. Then on your iPhone, use the Installer to install the Community Sources, then install tinyproxy. No further configuration is necessary on your iPhone. I hope this is helpful. Sorry for the confusing multiple edits below :P

Get your Wireless Network Properties:
    Go to Control Pannel >> Network Connections

Check to see that Ad Hoc Networking is Available:
    "Wireless Network Connection" >> (Right CLick Menu) Properties >> (Tab) General:
    • Connect Using: Click [Configure] to get the Network Card's Properties

When setting up any ad hoc Wi-Fi network the channel, ip range, and ssid will need to be the same for the computers to talk to each other

Under one of the tabs ("Advanced" on mine) there should be an Ad Hoc Channel setting that you should be able to modify. On my laptop, the default channel is 11, and this worked for me. Being that every computer and driver set could be different, you may want to check out notebookforums.com, if this part doesn't come easily.
    • Click [OK] - This will probably close all open properties windows.

Create the Ad Hoc Network:
    "Wireless Network Connection" >> (Right CLick Menu) Properties >> (Tab) Wireless Networks:
    Under Preferred Networks, click the [Add...] button.

(Tab) Association:
    • Network Name (SSID): whatever you like ("adhoc", for example) Your XP computer will boradcast "adhock", and the iPhone will automatically pick it up, once you've completed this part.
    • Network Authentication: Open
    • Data Encryption: WEP
    • Uncheck [x] The key is provided for me automatically.
    • Network Key: any 5 digits you can remember that aren't easily guessed. Once you set up this ad hoc network, from now on your computer will always broadcast the ssid when your wireless card is turned on. Keep yourself safe with this key.
    • Confirm Network Key: Not trying to tell anyone what to do here, but entering the same key as above is wise.
    • Key Index: Leave it. Should be "1" by default.

(Tab) Connection:
    • Checkbox [x] Connect when this network is in range: Check it.

Click OK to close "adhoc" Properties. Your ad hoc network is now created, but don't close the Wireless Connection Properties yet...

Set Your PC's IP on the Ad Hoc:
    (Tab) General:
    This connection uses the following items: Scroll to find "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) on the list. Select it and click the [Properties] button.
    • (Tab) General - Leave this as it is. This controls your regular Wi-Fi connection to your router when not on the ad hoc.
    • (Tab) Alternate Configuration - filling this out will allow your pc to automatically choose this when on the ad hoc, so you'll never have to touch any of this again.
      • Checkbox [x] User Configured: Check it.
      • IP Address: create whatever ip range you like. In the first post of this thread, the ip range given was 10.3.3.x, so likely you'll want to fill in something like 10.3.3.7 here. Anything but your iPhone's address which will be 10.3.3.2
        EDIT: to use tinyproxy in its default configuration, your PC's IP address should be 192.168.1.2
      • Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
      • Leave the rest blank.
    • Click OK to close TCP/IP Properties

Click OK to close your Wireless Network Connection Properties, and you're done with your PC. Your ad hoc network name will now show up as an available network for your iPhone to join.

Just to have it in one post... as originally posted above:
    Set Your iPhone's IP on the Ad Hoc:
    Now on your iPhone, go to Settings >> Wi-Fi >> (Menu) Choose a Network.

Your ad hoc network name will now show in this list. Select it, and tap the (>) arrow to get it's properties.
    • IP Address: Static
    • IP Address: 10.3.3.2 in this example
      EDIT: using tinyproxy's default configuration, the iPhone IP should be set to 192.168.1.1
    • Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    • Leave the rest unchanged.

Tap the arrow back to "Wi-Fi Networks", and you're done. The PC and the iPhone should now be on your spankin new ad hoc network.

Verify the connection on your PC by typing WinButton+R >> type cmd and hit [Enter] >> At the command line type ping 10.3.3.2 and hit [Enter]. This will send a simple network ping to the iPhone. Any result like "Reply from 10.3.3.2: blah blah..." is good.

Another trick to check to see that you're on the network is to type at the CMD prompt: ipconfig -- This will show all your active network connections and your PCs ip address on each of them.

Keep in mind that if your iPhone goes to sleep, it will remove itself from the network, and your ad hoc network will cease to exist. Change your iPhone's Auto-Lock timeout to keep this from happening.

EDIT: Configure Firefox to use your new ad hoc/iPhone/tinyproxy connection
    If you haven't got Firefox already, do yourself a favor and install it. Make it your default browser. Pat yourself on the back for making the world a better place. install the SwitchProxy add-on
    The browser will need a restart; when it's ready again, go to (Menu) Tools >> SwitchProxy >> Manage Proxies
    • Click (Button) Add
    • [x] Standard: Check it and click [Next >>]
    • Proxy Label: Enter what you want. I call mine "iPhone"
    • [x] Manual Proxy Configuration: Check it.
    • HTTP Proxy: 192.168.1.1
    • HTTP Proxy Port: 8080
    • Leave everything else the same. Click [OK] to finish adding your iPhone proxy.
    • Click [OK] to close the Manage Proxies window.

You can now go to (Menu) Tools >> SwitchProxy >> iPhone whenever you're on your ad hoc network and want to use EDGE
    Last edited by briansage; 09-08-2007 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Got tinyproxy to work, instead of the method suggested in the original post.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to briansage For This Useful Post:

geoffl1 (10-30-2007), jwaschbisch (01-23-2008), rotaryheadrx7 (10-30-2007)

is tethering possible with a nonintelac??

Thanks
    As long as you can

1) get tinyproxy installed on your iPhone, and
    2) create an ad hoc wireless network between your computer and the phone, then

...yes, any computer may use the iPhone as a proxy to the Inturwebz.

I've been able to get tinyproxy installed, all that. I've created the adhoc. I've got the phone and macbook on as 192.168.1.1, and .2 respectively.

I can ping the iphone from the macbook and get returns.

I've gone to my airport control panel, set the http proxy to 192.168.1.1 port 8080 as stated here: http://www.conceitedsoftware.com/iphone/site/help/

But any page I try to pull up in safari hangs.

what am I missing?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast