+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Death By iPhone?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Well this didn't really spark my interest because I obviously have a complete disregard of my own personal health . . . but since about everyone has requested that I
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,268 Times in 652 Posts

Default Death By iPhone?
    Well this didn't really spark my interest because I obviously have a complete disregard of my own personal health . . . but since about everyone has requested that I post it in news here it is

Environmental group Greenpeace on Monday announced that it had found hazardous materials in Apple’s iPhone. The group commissioned the tests on the iPhone to measure both internal and external components.
    According to Greenpeace the tests revealed chemicals that included “phthalates” in the vinyl plastic earphone wiring at levels that are prohibited in young children’s toys in San Francisco and the European Union (EU).
    The test also found brominated compounds in half the samples, which can create dioxin when burned, according to the study. The compounds comprised 10 percent of the total weight of the flexible circuit board in the iPhone, the group said.
    “Apple missed a key opportunity when it rolled out the iPhone in June,” said Rick Hind of Greenpeace. “There is no reason why the iPhone could not have been made without toxins like vinyl plastics and brominated flame retardants as Nokia is already doing.”
    Apple representatives were not immediately available to comment.
    Greenpeace also said the battery in the iPhone was glued and soldered to the handset. This will make battery replacement difficult for consumers and further undermine recycling of the iPhone when it is discarded, the group said.
    The environmental group has made Apple a frequent target of its activities. In August 2006, Greenpeace scolded Apple for its environmental policies in a quarterly report on how companies deal with hazardous chemicals, recycling and take-back policies. It also launched a Web site critical of Apple last December and staged demonstrations at this year’s Macworld Expo in San Francisco.
    For its part, Apple has had little comment on Greenpeace’s activities. However, in May, CEO Steve Jobs published an open letter, outlining his company’s plans to remove toxic chemicals from its products. In June, Apple’s updated MacBook Pro line featured models that included mercury-free, LED-backlit displays that are more environmentally friendly than the cold cathode florescent lamp technology used in previous laptops.

via macworld

Man, Apple just can't catch a break, evironmentally speaking. In addition to receiving thorough tongue lashing from Greenpeace about potentially hazardous chemicals in the iPhone, the Center for Environmental Health upped the stakes on Monday and said it will actually be initiating legal action against the Cupertino company. According to spokesperson Charles Margulis, the levels of phthalates (a group of chemical compounds that are mainly used as "plasticizers," i.e., substances that increase flexibility) in the iPhone are in violation of California law, specifically Proposition 65.
    Also known as "Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986," the act says that businesses can't expose consumers to toxic chemicals without warning them of that exposure, explains Caroline Cox, another CEH spokesperson. The state prepares a list of those toxic chemicals that apply spefically to Proposition 65, Cox says, and while it's constantly updated, one of the things it does specify is what's known as a safe harbor level.
    "If you fall above that level, you're in violation," Cox says. "Basically, what we're saying in our notice of violation [to Apple] is that [the phone] exposes a user to a level above that."
    The CEH says that, as it does in all legal procedures involving Proposition 65, it has issued Apple a 60 day notice of violation. "Our goal is not just to warn but reduce hazardous chemicals," Cox explains. "In that sense, we always try to negotiate a settlement with companies and we would hope to do that in this case."
    Apple did not immediately respond to our requests for comment, but here's a previous statement (.pdf) from Jobs about the company's commitment to Greening itself up.
    If Apple does not enter into a binding agreement to both recall the iPhones its already sold, as well as provide clear and reasonable warnings for future shipped iPhones, the CEH says it will file a citizen enforcement lawsuit -- which would allow impacted citizens to be full participants in the litigation and the resulting negotiation and settlement process.

via wired

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

Kaas (10-17-2007)

Livin the iPhone Life aziatiklover's Avatar
    Thanks

yea read it on gizmodo
     Think Different

Thanks

Nonsense. You want to cut down on toxins California? Stop the bloody smog!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    That what they get for voiding our warranties.
    LOL, That'll teach them.
    These guys just cant get a break...

Moderator / DRP Dev Team jedinight's Avatar
    Thanks

like biggie said .."MO MONEY MO PROBLEMS"

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aziatiklover View Post
    yea read it on gizmodo
    yeah . . . other places days ago . . . but it's only been requested that I add it about a dozen times now . . . I've given in

iPhone? More like MyPhone GreggSymington's Avatar
    Thanks

does this mean I can't lick my iPhone?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GreggSymington View Post
    does this mean I can't lick my iPhone?
    hmmm good, question. If I die a terrible death shortly then yes it means you cant lick your iphone

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
    yeah . . . other places days ago . . . but it's only been requested that I add it about a dozen times now . . . I've given in
    I'm gonna return my iphone cuz I don't want to die
     Think Different

iPhone? More like MyPhone maXimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Blah, blah, blah....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to maXimus For This Useful Post:

Cody Overcash (10-16-2007)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default and they what?
    and the rainbow warrior?, full of petrol, old ship, is also very dangerous

iPhone? More like MyPhone mikef's Avatar
    Thanks

my i phone is TOXIC baby..YEAHH
    3.0 3g *******

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So if there isn't a big health risk why does greenpeace care so much? Its not a kids toy, i don't plan on eating my earphones or my battery. I haven't heard any cases of people getting sick because of it. Whatever happened to that thing a few years ago where the radio waves from cell phones were supposed to cause cancer? I am about as worried about this as I am about the radio waves and considering I am on my iphone at least 2 1/2 hours a day I can't be too worried. Isn't greenpeace the same group that opposes commercial fisherman because they kill innocent fish for money or something?

iPhone? More like MyPhone ijustin's Avatar
    Thanks

lawsuit maybe?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ijustin View Post
    lawsuit maybe?
    someone is going to be rich soon huh
     Think Different

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

um i don't want to void my warranty so if anyone has already opened up their iphone and would let me lick their battery let me know hehehehe

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by travelbytommy View Post
    um i don't want to void my warranty so if anyone has already opened up their iphone and would let me lick their battery let me know hehehehe
    sure, stop on by. I'd let your eat the headphones too but I was hungry earlier today.

Thanks

I definately appreciate Greenpeace's concern, but I really think there are bigger problems to be focused on. All the money spent running those tests could have been spent finding an alternative fuel (or better yet, funding experiments that show how much better the alternate fuels we already have can be.) Nothing against the group, its just that no one seems to give 2 sh*ts about the environment STILL, so whatever money Greenpeace can get should be spent on things that will really get peoples attention and promote change.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I put my iphone in my blender and had me an apple smoothie
    -G

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    ditto, guy two posts above. i feel way too helpless when i think about what we're doing to planet earth, (most of us without knowing we're doing anything), so i try not to think about it too often. i wouldnt mind cheaper fuel though. however, i dropped my phone a little while back and got these nasty scratches on the top left & bottom right corners, and i wouldnt mind a new phone, no scratches, & no (seemingly non-hazardous, given limited exposure) toxins. a twofor.