Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is Linux the Iphone Language?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Exclamation Is Linux the Iphone Language?
    I was told that the Iphone uses Linux. If it doesn't what programming language does it use? Years ago we programmers developed Cobolt, Basic, C, etc. We were always finding ways to get the different languages to do what we wanted. No matter what language the device was written in. I had my conflicts with Apple over writing software for their machines but still produced programs for the market. Now here is the question...I want to be able to see movies on the web but this Iphone needs a flash type player. I know there must be some young genius out there who could come up with this application. Is there any hope here or are we going to cower under the might of Apple.

I doubt that Flash Player will come to the iPhone, it's CPU is just too weak
    to handle Flash.

The iPhone runs a modified version of Mac OS X, I believe a modified version from 10.5.3 for the new 3G iPhones.

The iPhone does not run Linux.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ilena View Post
    I doubt that Flash Player will come to the iPhone, it's CPU is just too weak
    to handle Flash.
    I thought the iPhone CPU was underclocked, so I think it could handle flash. If Apple bother.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Thanks

Blazing infernos ensue?

MAC OSX's is actually called darwin which is just a modified Free BSD Kernel. Apple fanboys love to gloss over the fact that Apple took a alread stable code base and just extended the gui (and a bit more hehe). Anyways its UNIX not linux.

Linux is not a language its an operating system based on C/C++.

Regardless to answer your question do not look for flash on the iphone anytime soon. Apple would have to work something out with adobe to get flash ported over, it took forever to get a nice stable version on linux for the first time. Don't hold your breath.

What you can do is get one of those flash to .mov (or any movie codex) and conver the movies you want and put them on your iphone with one of the numerous was to do that.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to j0ntar For This Useful Post:

ZionSV (06-22-2009)

It's based on a UNIX system:P not Linux but UNIX...The same goes for Mac OSX...However Linux apps are rewritable to work on Mac OSX...I think UNIX is like Linux...But not exactly the same..

Thanks

It can run flash. iPhone is Unix based i believe, which is similar to distros of linux.

iPhone is a build of OS X, which is based on UNIX, which Linux is based on.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

dos= basic coding system to form an operating system for running large OS's
    unix= basic coding system to form an operating system like dos
    linux= operating system that uses unix to run
    osx= operating system that uses unix to run
    windows=operating system that uses dos to run

i am stupid and i know that.

Windows XP and up no longer relies on DOS, in fact it was completely rebuilt and not running off of a DOS platform.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadicatedartist View Post
    Windows XP and up no longer relies on DOS, in fact it was completely rebuilt and not running off of a DOS platform.

then what is the language xp is written in?
    it runs as a dos based OS, it just doesnt run seperatly from dos.
    dos is a part of it now, not a seperate program.
    thats why you still have the dos command prompt.

Windows XP and up includes an emulated command prompt, it's not the same as running DOS like below XP. For instance you used to be able to reboot into DOS. Windows XP and up no longer use DOS, it's based on NT.

Windows XP and Vista are based on Windows NT, not DOS. Windows XP and Vista do not use DOS as a basis. That's why you can't run many DOS programs in Windows XP without DOSbox or some kind of emulation support.

Thanks

lol, sorry tattoojack...he's right
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Not trying to complain, but just telling someone the truth.

Thanks

so what is NT based on???

ummmm dos? thats what was used to make it. wether it is still dos or not. it was at one time.
    like how mac is unix, but its not unix, its mac.
    xp is dos, but its not dos, its NT.
    LMAO!!!

sorry guys.

eat your wheaties.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tattoojack View Post
    so what is NT based on???

ummmm dos? thats what was used to make it. wether it is still dos or not. it was at one time.
    like how mac is unix, but its not unix, its mac.
    xp is dos, but its not dos, its NT.
    LMAO!!!

sorry guys.

eat your wheaties.
    no no it's based on NT framework, which is different to the DOS one, you're going too deep in now lol
    I don't want your wheaties...
    [/RIGHT]

Thanks

Tatoo's right boys. What system does XP startup on? DOS. What does it fallback on when it fails to load? DOS. How do you fix XP in recovery mode? DOS. Just use your own eyes.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

The guy was saying Windows XP is a DOS-based OS..

It's not. It's based on Windows NT. Windows NT is a completely different structure compared to DOS. Windows XP is completely seperate from DOS.

You fix your PC in Windows Recovery Mode, it's not DOS. It's an emulated version of DOS. DOS ran by itself. It was standalone.

Windows XP does not start up on DOS. If you think that then you're mistaken. It doesn't fall back on DOS when it fails to load either, because Windows XP is not a DOS platform. XP and up once again, are completely seperate from DOS. DOS is not attached like it was original below Windows XP.

He originally said it was DOS based, which it is not. It's Windows NT based, which is a seperate architecture from DOS.

Windows XP includes NO DOS WHATSOEVER.

That's another reason why they changed to NTFS for disk driving structure.

Seriously, I've spent my entire life using DOS and Windows, up until this point.
    I've got degrees, and am A+ Certified. If you want my A+ books, let me know and I'll send you them for free just to get a better understanding of the structure of file systems and Operating Systems.

And can we get back on topic? lol, this thread has been hijacked badly. Sorry to the OP.

Linux is not the iPhone language. It's that simple. The iPhone language is a Unix-based language derived from parts of Mac OS X, which is the OS of the iPhone, running on top of a simple Unix platform.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to deadicatedartist For This Useful Post:

thekirbylover (09-10-2011)

Thanks

lol....linux it is
    [/RIGHT]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast