+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is Linux the Iphone Language?

is a discussion within the

iPhone Linux

forums, a part of the

iPhone / iPod Touch SDK | Development Discussion

section;
^was joking
    Thanks

^was joking

iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Thanks

flash would be tricky on the iPhone. how will it tell the difference from hovering and clicking? on most online videos, hovering shows the controls and clicking activates their functions.

Thanks

Ok here's my question... How did they get YouTube videos to play on the iPhone when you need flash for that on any other computers? I'm sure if it was done it prolly isn't all that complicated but why couldn't they do that with other flash stuff? And my personal opinion is that apple is waiting for HTML5 because adobe wasn't willing to play with them. I think if apple wants it bad enough they could get it, just at a price.

iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by howlett15 View Post
    Ok here's my question... How did they get YouTube videos to play on the iPhone when you need flash for that on any other computers? I'm sure if it was done it prolly isn't all that complicated but why couldn't they do that with other flash stuff? And my personal opinion is that apple is waiting for HTML5 because adobe wasn't willing to play with them. I think if apple wants it bad enough they could get it, just at a price.
    youtube on iphone is not flash. its a video format that the iphone supports. youtube converted them for apple, that's why some videos used to say they were not available for iphone at the moment, but i havent seen that message in a while, so i guess youtube finished converting them and does it automatically with new uploads

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I noticed something last night - there were a few videos I tried to play through the youtube app, and it said the video type was not supported. I clicked play again, and they worked! I am sure I was having issues with my connectivity, but I thought that was interesting that it said that instead of communications error.
    no signature spam please

Thanks

Yes, linux is the iPhone language. For the YouTube question, YouTube was ported for iPhone so it didn't need flash, at least that's what I think.
    "Everyone knows Macs are better than PCs"
    -Me
    I'm a member of TPWDDA on Steam. Are you?
    Why did you throw your iPod at the wall?

My Jailbroken iPod running my theme available by the ModMyi repository on Cydia (Lego Star Wars Theme)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fccardiff View Post
    Yes, linux is the iPhone language.
    You best not be trollin'

Objective-C is the language. Not Linux. At all.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I believe a modified version from 10.5.3 for the new 3G iPhones. The iPhone does not run Linux.
    mod/edit links removed

Thanks

Well, it can now

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It seems that you are confusing operating systems and programming languages. Linux is NOT a programming language, it is an operating system (actually a kernel). iOS (based on Darwin, which is NOT an operating system, but just a KERNEL) is a Unix-type system, just like Linux. The main language which was used to program Linux and iOS is C and C++, however on iOS and Mac OS X, Objective-C also used. Same for DOS. Now DOS has been totally incorporated by Wondows, as a subsystem. Yes, the core parts of Windows are based on DOS, however, they don't use DOS. Deadicatedartist is right: the command prompt in Windows is not the same as the original DOS one (former is called cmd.exe in CWindows\system32, latter is called COMMAND.COM in C).
    Sry if I'm not right @ some certain details, but I'm a Linux user.
    h2co3@h2co3-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install windows
    ERROR: APT won't install Windows on your PC,
    because it potentially damages and freezes
    your system. Please contact Miscrosoft
    and ask them to fix the bugs in Windows.
    h2co3@h2co3-laptop:~$_

Cydia developer
    iPhone 3G black, iOS 4.2.1 + JB

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Completely useless revival of an old thread with some unrelated yet somewhat related input... Windows NT was known to be an acronym of Windows "New Technology"... the developers that made Windows NT possible were OS developers for Digital which ran the VMS operating system... Bill Gates brought in 10-20 or so developers from Digital to help with the evolution of Windows and they decided they'd take a stab at Digital with V+1=W, M+1=N, S+1=T.... VMS - WNT (Windows NT)

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123