+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone 4s jailbroken, but lost cydia icon

is a discussion within the

iPhone / iPod Touch SDK | Development Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
I was able to jailbreak my iphone 4s with no problem, but then installed mobilespy, and it 'hid' cydia. in order to get back to it, they state I need
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iphone 4s jailbroken, but lost cydia icon
    I was able to jailbreak my iphone 4s with no problem, but then installed mobilespy, and it 'hid' cydia. in order to get back to it, they state I need to use the code *12345, but when I try that, the phone tries to dial it, and it doesn't take me back to the smartphone icon that it took me to when I first installed it. Now I can't figure out how to find cydia again since that code doesn't work, and it's hidden somehow. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,527 Times in 5,846 Posts

Welcome to MMi
    Have you tried deleting mobilespy, rebooting?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That's what I'd like to do, but I can't delete it without getting to cydia, and cydia is hidden. i don't know how to find it.

Thanks

Have you used spotlight search for Cydia?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yes, and I assumed it didn't find it because it's not an apple product. I didn't know how to search for hidden or non-apple applications on the phone.

Thanks

Spotlight search will find any app, even Cydia apps. You may have to restore and re-jailbreak. Not sure you have any other choice since search doesn't see it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ok - maybe I'm not doing it right. The iphone is new to me. I went to applications and then search, and typed in cydia. Is that what I'm supposed to do, or is spotlight search different? Also, I thought maybe I'd try to jailbreak again using absinthe (that's what I used the first time), but when I tried, it said that my phone was already jailbroken, so I stopped. I didn't know if re-doing it would cause problems.

Thanks

When you unlock your phone it opens to the 1st. home screen, scroll to the left to access spotlight search, not right to the next page with apps on it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

iphonequestions (08-21-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

oh thank you so much! My daughter has the phone with her right now, but I will try that when she gets back. I really appreciate your help!

Thanks

No worries, glad to help. If you have any other questions, just post up.

I would use redsn0w rather then absinthe, just my preference/reliability and has so many more options.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well, I tried that, but it didn't locate cydia on the phone. If I do a restore of the phone, will that 'un-jailbreak' the phone and remove cydia? then I could start over?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphonequestions View Post
    Well, I tried that, but it didn't locate cydia on the phone. If I do a restore of the phone, will that 'un-jailbreak' the phone and remove cydia? then I could start over?
    Yes it will. Restoring your iPhone will wipe all its contents, and you'll have to start from scratch. Be forewarned.

However, I don't think that'll be necessary. From the MobileSpy website:

*** NOTE: On iPhone 4G devices, the phone may attempt to dial the *12345 as an actual call. This is not an error. If it does so, simply allow the phone to attempt to call and then disconnect the call. The phone will respring a second time and then the Smartphone icon will be visible. ***
    From there, flip the Cydia switch and you should be A-OK to remove the package.

Unless, of course, the Smartphone icon doesn't appear after the phone resprings after dialing the access code. In which case, you can still try to SSH in to the device if you have SSH installed and remove the package via apt-get, or just go with the restore.

Thanks

(n/m)

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 4,203 Posts

Did ya git it back to normal?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have been all over the mobilespy website, and I have tried this so many times. It just dials it as a call every time and the smartphone icon never appears. I've called their customer service and chatted them as well. nobody can tell me what to do. they said I could uninstall remotely, but even that didn't seem to work. I'm at a loss now since I can't get back to the smartphone icon in order to access the program again via cydia. I really don't know what else to do. You mention "you can still try to SSH in to the device if you have SSH installed and remove the program via apt-get". I don't know what this is.. sorry, not very iphone literate. can you explain that? or maybe I should just restore?

No, not back to normal yet, and it seems to be a big data drain on the phone as well. At this point, I'd love to just get rid of that program somehow since it doesn't work anyway, but so frustrated that I can't access it at all since I can't get back to cydia!

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 4,203 Posts

Not sure what they were talking about with apt-get if ya wanna wait till someone gits back with that. Or just go ahead and restore it.

Thanks

I'd say rather then deal with the brain damage, do a restore/re-jailbreak. 100% fix.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks! Hahah - that's how I'm feeling. ready to be done with it. I'm going to do a restore when my daughter gets home from school with the phone. wish me luck!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphonequestions View Post
    Thanks! Hahah - that's how I'm feeling. ready to be done with it. I'm going to do a restore when my daughter gets home from school with the phone. wish me luck!
    No worries, if you have any issues, just post up. Good luck.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    Not sure what they were talking about with apt-get if ya wanna wait till someone gits back with that. Or just go ahead and restore it.
    By apt-get they were talking about the tools in the BigBoss Recommended Tools package, it includes loads of apt-get tools for Terminal.

So if he had it, he could (if he had that and SSH installed) remove the package via SSH with the apt-get remove <package> command.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.