Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Howto use command line iOS tools from Xcode?

Thanks
    Default Howto use command line iOS tools from Xcode?
    I would like to create an iOS frontend for some of the (jailbreak) command line tools - wget for instance - using Xcode.

Can I run command line apps (or bash scripts) from within my app and grab the output?
    An Xcode code example would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by cowzkull View Post
    I would like to create an iOS frontend for some of the (jailbreak) command line tools - wget for instance - using Xcode.

Can I run command line apps (or bash scripts) from within my app and grab the output?
    An Xcode code example would be appreciated
    Hi all, hi cowzkull,

im new to Obj-C and Xcode(c#/java dev),

but anyway back to topic i am a few steps further and managed to run an "echo string" via NSTask/NMTaskWrapper, it works fine in the simulator but when i try to run it on my iPhone4 (5.1.1 JB)device the app crashes on the [task launch] command with an NSInconsistencyException.

Do i have to somehow create a new Project with a CydiaAppTemplate, f.e. project template from Theos to get this running?

Regards
    kaya

Thanks
    It might be that NSTask isn't native to the iPhone SDK... How did you manage to import it?

well for NSTask, get the NMTaskWrapper, works well if your app is like in my video tutorial.

well in my case, i need root rights for calling some commands...
    if someone knows how, please dont hesitate and post a reply :=)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kayhan 17# For This Useful Post:

cowzkull (08-19-2012)

Thanks
    Sorry for leaving you hanging - I was busy getting my own app ready for submission. There's still a lot of things to do but I worked out a few things - including how to run stuff as root (though the solution is far from perfect).
    You can set SUID for the app that needs to run as root - though it can potentially be a security disaster.
    In my case I chose to let whoever downloads my app do it manually since it shouldn't open up security holes just by installing.
    In my case: chmod u+s /usr/bin/nmap
    If it's a script in your app that needs root you can SUID it with the post install deb script.

You can read more about my Nmap GUI over on my blog - hope it gets approved soon
    Nmap GUI – Nmap for iPhone, iPad and iPad Evilpigeon.dk

Thanks
    If you want to create a postinst script, just place it in your DEBIAN folder and chmod +x it.

NMTaskWrapper does the job ok but it's kind of annoying that you have to wait for the reponse (textview.text = [NMTaskWrapper response] - do you think there's any way the response can be displayed on the fly?

ive created a postinst script and set "chown root:wheel" and "chmod 755", my app still runs with the mobile user
    Last edited by Kayhan 17#; 08-29-2012 at 12:12 PM.

finally got it working...