Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Installing packages from backup offline

Default Installing packages from backup offline
    I am trying to create a way to download packages ahead of an anticipated Cydia server overload and install them when the servers are unavailable. So far I can get all of the debs for your currently installed packages and install them through an AutoInstall method a little too complex for mass distribution. I am seeking any help for this project. If you want a copy of my current method, PM me.

Thanks

I'm thinking it's going to be easier to use dpkg and script it instead of an autoinstall via cydia. I am focusing on getting the dependencies right as of now. By filtering the status file of gsc.packages/other "junk" and keeping package names, depends, and pre-depends I've got a package list with dependency lists. I've got a script already that'll read this file and dpkg -i the debs stored via your script, but I'm stuck on an easy way to incorporate the depends and pre-depends efficiently.

Can I see a list that you generated?

Thanks

Yeah let me upload it. I just used grep and cat on /var/lib/dpkg/status grabbing only

Package:
    Depends:
    Pre-Depends:

Then I filtered the gsc.packages out with grep and saved to ~/package.txt
    I'll pm you a link to my list In just one minute.

Here's just a quick cut and paste from the list I created. I'll post the command I used if you need as well.

Package: system-cmds
    Depends: pam, firmware-sbin
    Pre-Depends: dpkg (>= 1.14.25-8)

Package: zip

Package: net.howett.cydelete
    Depends: mobilesubstrate, preferenceloader (>= 2.0), apt, bash, grep, coreutils
    I don't know if I'll need to add a conflicts to the script as well.
    Last edited by A3gOwner; 01-14-2012 at 09:31 PM.

Since the dependencies come in order after the packages, couldn't you just install all of the packages in the order that they appear?

I figured out the command in under a minute

Thanks

Yes but I'm trying to do it with a dependency and predependency check before installing said package. To lower the chances of issues if/when it's implemented. My status file doesn't seem to be in perfect order if that makes sense.

So install the packages backwards and when it comes to the "package:" line check if the dependencies are good and if not abort installation of that package?

I'll look into it a little more.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    So install the packages backwards and when it comes to the "package:" line check if the dependencies are good and if not abort installation of that package?
    That's what I'm doing essentially. I don't want the abort if I have the deb for the depend. Since this comes from a working phone there's no reason not to have the depend deb already. Plus if this is to be released for more than say a couple people's personal needs it's got to be packaged and easy to use.
    Last edited by A3gOwner; 01-14-2012 at 09:54 PM.

I just tested the 'dpkg -i' command and found that it refuses to install a package without the dependencies already installed.

I'm thinking strip it of the "Package:", "Depends:", and "Pre-Depends", then replace the commas with newlines, then strip it of duplicates, then import every line of the file from bottom to top into a "dpkg -i ${$line}*.deb" command.
    Last edited by Zokunei; 01-14-2012 at 10:08 PM.

Thanks

Yeah I could have saved you the trouble there. It's just gonna take some tweaking time to get the script right. It's all going to come down to handling the depends and getting them installed before initiating the install of main package.

Edit scratch above. That's just it how to achieve this without having to install multiple packages multiple times. If you do all that then strip out all multiple depends and use your said command.
    Last edited by A3gOwner; 01-14-2012 at 10:13 PM.

Then again, which duplicates are stripped could lead to problems.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Then again, which duplicates are stripped could lead to problems.
    Exactly my issue. How to efficiently strip them on a release, with out issues.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,214 Times in 1,372 Posts

So, question? I have no idea how you two know how to do what ur doing but are you saying that the dependencies ALSO have to be installed in a certain order? They can't all be installed at once???

Thanks

Essentially things have to be installed in a certain order. Cydia and apt take care of this for you. Dependencies before main package because said main package needs said depend package to function/install. Then since packages share depend with other packages which may have there own depend packages. Getting it to install everything only once is the tricky part otherwise you may install a package 6-8x.
    Last edited by A3gOwner; 01-14-2012 at 10:21 PM.

Also strip the info in parentheses.

Thanks

Way ahead of you there. I though I edited it out but I didn't.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A3gOwner View Post
    Essentially things have to be installed in a certain order. Cydia and apt take care of this for you. Dependencies before main package because said main package needs said depend package to function/install.
    I realize that for 'regular' Cydia apps there are files that those apps depend on; but are you two facing the problem of 'dependencies' being dependent on something else?

Thanks

Edit: re read that. No The only issue I have is just reinstalling packages over and over in the process. It's easy to do a depend with a depend.
    Last edited by A3gOwner; 01-14-2012 at 10:26 PM.

Thanks

It appears from your previous post that 'system-cmds' (which is a dependency) is dependent on other dependencies first but ALSO has a pre-dependency! That sux!!!

...and, if I understand correctly, you're trying to strip/remove those dependencies/pre-dependencies from 'said' dependent file. Am I on the same page?
    Last edited by thazsar; 01-14-2012 at 10:27 PM.

Thanks

Sorry I was confusing myself along the way. I edited a couple of my posts to kinda clear things up. I'm not real good at explaining what going on sometimes.

It's getting it to only install every package only once which includes all dependency as well. So not Really stripping those out just making sure they are there first. Which I think I have it figured out.
    Last edited by A3gOwner; 01-14-2012 at 10:31 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast