Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Installing packages from backup offline

1. OpenBackup has always grabbed dependencies for two reasons: at backup every package you have installed (including dependencies) is backed up in list form. The second reason is that at restoration, the method used for restoring grabs dependencies at the same time for whatever package it is downloading.

2. Yes, I'm trying to incorporate this new method into OpenBackup as a second option (since its harder and more time consuming). The hardest part will be making the new interface.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,207 Times in 1,371 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    1. OpenBackup has always grabbed dependencies for two reasons: at backup every package you have installed (including dependencies) is backed up in list form. The second reason is that at restoration, the method used for restoring grabs dependencies at the same time for whatever package it is downloading.

2. Yes, I'm trying to incorporate this new method into OpenBackup as a second option (since its harder and more time consuming). The hardest part will be making the new interface.
    Should I get OpenBackup on my wife's phone now (since she has 'most' of the tweaks on her phone already) or wait till you are finished?

There's nothing wrong with the current version, it just downloads the packages at restoration instead of backup. I wait until my error log is zero bytes before I release an app.

I'm having trouble creating a deb with a postinst script. I have it run the command and export the results to a log file, but it doesn't do anything and the log is empty.
    Last edited by Zokunei; 01-15-2012 at 04:24 PM.

Thanks

There's nothing wrong with the current version, it just downloads the packages at restoration instead of backup. I wait until my error log is zero bytes before I release an app.

I'm having trouble creating a deb with a postinst script. I have it run the command and export the results to a log file, but it doesn't do anything and the log is empty.
    Maybe A3gOwner knows a trick for getting that to work since I have no clue. Can't wait!!!

When ur app is done, you need to write MMI to showcase it and explain how it's better than the rest! Or I'll 'tip us' you're app for them to review!
    Last edited by thazsar; 01-15-2012 at 04:42 PM.

I made room for three more buttons

I know exactly where to go from here, the hardest part will be writing the instructions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -imageuploadedbymodmyi1326668743.384649.jpg  

Thanks

How bout the postinst/deb problem? Did u get it resolved?

No. Currently you would just need to AutoInstall openssl and openssh then run the "dpkg -iREG /var/mobile/OpenBackupDebs/archives" command.

Thanks

No. Currently you would just need to AutoInstall openssl and openssh then run the "dpkg -iREG /var/mobile/OpenBackupDebs/archives" command.
    Gotcha! Maybe when you get this all packaged, you should include a READ ME file w/ links to an OpenSSH program, instructions on getting it installed, as well as the script that needs to be run once they get the OpenSSH program so we can Copy & Paste it into the program.

I realize that this 'offline' method is for the tech-savvy person BUT a quick tutorial will lessen the risk of troubleshooting emails. Know what I'm sayin!
    Last edited by thazsar; 01-15-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Thanks

Or install mobile terminal and execute the same command. What issues are you having with postinst?

As of right now I've got it to pull my debs from my computer to the archives folder (using your destination path for debs). I linked that command with a && to run the dpkg command after the transfer then followed with another && followed by a reboot and one last & to put it in background. So mine looks something similar to this:

./recoverdeb && dpkg -iREG /var/mobile/openbackup/archives/*.deb && reboot &

Note recoverdeb is a script to pull the debs from my personal server to the archive folder.
    Last edited by A3gOwner; 01-15-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A3gOwner View Post
    Or install mobile terminal and execute the same command. What issues are you having with postinst?
    Is the current version of MobileTerminal in Cydia a working version for ios 5.0.1? I haven't tried it yet but know it had been out of date for a long time. For manual installs of debs, it'd be neat if OpenBackup could automatically install a working version of it, regardless, if the user wanted it or not; they could just uninstall it if they wanted to...

@ A3gOwner,
    He was trying to create a .deb package but 'postinst' is throwing an error. At least that's what I think is happening...
    Last edited by thazsar; 01-15-2012 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Gotcha! Maybe when you get this all packaged, you should include a READ ME file w/ links to an OpenSSH program, instructions on getting it installed, as well as the script that needs to be run once they get the OpenSSH program so we can Copy & Paste it into the program.

I realize that this 'offline' method is for the tech-savvy person BUT a quick tutorial will lessen the risk of troubleshooting emails. Know what I'm sayin!
    No. It's done with OpenBackup INSTEAD of SSH.

I'm almost done implementing it but I'm getting some weird UI glitches.

Thanks

I use mobile terminal version 520-1 from a repo on cydia. I'm not using openbackup like Z but it should be able to be incorporated into it. Once I get it where I want in a stand alone then I'll submit it to Z for openbackup use if he hasn't got it working yet. I'm using his destination path of /var/mobile/openbackup/archives to make it easier to port to openbackup.

Thanks

No. It's done with OpenBackup INSTEAD of SSH.

I'm almost done implementing it but I'm getting some weird UI glitches.
    Now confused...
    I thought for manual installation, we were assuming that we couldn't get OpenBackup, yet. Therefore, we copy the folder w/ the deb files onto our phone then have to run a script to install everything.

Thanks

Now confused...
    I thought for manual installation, we were assuming that we couldn't get OpenBackup, yet. Therefore, we copy the folder w/ the deb files onto our phone then have to run a script to install everything.
    That's what I'm doing exactly. The reason being is that if the servers are down there's no way to get openbackup.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A3gOwner View Post
    I use mobile terminal version 520-1 from a repo on cydia. I'm not using openbackup like Z but it should be able to be incorporated into it. Once I get it where I want in a stand alone then I'll submit it to Z for openbackup use if he hasn't got it working yet. I'm using his destination path of /var/mobile/openbackup/archives to make it easier to port to openbackup.
    Regarding MoTerm, that's what I thought. That's also why I was thinking itd be a good idea to install it automatically if a user was gonna do this manual install method

Now confused...
    Therefore you copy OpenBackup into the AutoInstall and run the script with a button in OpenBackup.

Thanks

It (MT) and ssh would be a dependency of the stand alone version. (as of now anyway it could change tho)Then before running the script you'd want to ssh into the phone to created the needed auth keys. Then running the command I posted above would take care of everything but the second reboot at the end, you'd have to dothat manually.

Thanks

Therefore you copy OpenBackup into the AutoInstall and run the script with a button in OpenBackup.
    Ahhhhh...Good thinking!!! Even better than having to run it manually! I like! ;-)

Literally my only problem is that the spinner won't go away after one of the buttons finishes. I've spent a lot of time trying to fix it but I haven't been able to. -.-

Ok got it fixed. Everything is fully implemented now. I just need to tweak the script to make a folder with OpenBackup.deb and all of its dependencies. And write the instructions
    Last edited by Zokunei; 01-15-2012 at 09:18 PM.

Thanks

Literally my only problem is that the spinner won't go away after one of the buttons finishes. I've spent a lot of time trying to fix it but I haven't been able to. -.-

Ok got it fixed. Everything is fully implemented now. I just need to tweak the script to make a folder with OpenBackup.deb and all of its dependencies. And write the instructions
    Any chance I can get the .deb for this prior to it hitting Cydia? It always takes a day or two for a package to be submitted and posted on Cydia which 'might' be too late. If the 4S jailbreak comes out...say...tomorrow, it be nice if I could get all the tweaks on my wife's phone saved. If not, that's cool but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast