Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Installing packages from backup offline

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Plus, removing it from that file wouldn't change anything with the way this script works.
    +1.
    So I'm gonna save this list and restore and rejailbreak. Then install ssh to get debs and script to my phone. Then with a simple ./recoverJB (that's what I called the one I wrote) should do it. It'll install and delete deb as it goes down the list. I'll let you know and post what I've got. Then it's on to scripting the status file to remove the unneeded junk. That should produce everything I wanted and more. Hopefully you can integrate this into open backup.

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    I'm wondering two things:
    1. How many dependency files are there
    &
    2. How many of these dependencies have another dependency...

If I had Folder1 with 10 dependencies in it, how many times would I need to reinstall ALL the contents of that folder so everything was finally installed? 2 times, 4, times, 9 times???
    That would be interesting to know...
    We keep going until the folder is empty I guess.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,882 Times in 1,247 Posts

I can't wait for this 4S jailbreak to hit so I can FINALLY get back to tweaking Cydia tweaks!!!

Hahahahaha!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A3gOwner View Post
    +1.
    So I'm gonna save this list and restore and rejailbreak. Then install ssh to get debs and script to my phone. Then with a simple ./recoverJB (that's what I called the one I wrote) should do it. It'll install and delete deb as it goes down the list. I'll let you know and post what I've got. Then it's on to scripting the status file to remove the unneeded junk. That should produce everything I wanted and more. Hopefully you can integrate this into open backup.
    So you've ALREADY created a script to do all that?!?! Man, I wish I knew how to do that stuff. I have too many ideas but no way to implement them! LOL!
    Last edited by thazsar; 01-14-2012 at 11:22 PM.

Thanks

The folder should only be empty when the last deb listed in the list file is installed. The last one shouldn't be a duplicate.
    Last edited by A3gOwner; 01-14-2012 at 11:26 PM.

So you've ALREADY created a script to do all that?!?! Man, I wish I knew how to do that stuff. I have too many ideas but no way to implement them! LOL!
    I could have too if I didn't stay up until 4 A.M. Last night as a result of the "alpha" version.

Thanks

The folder should only be empty when the last deb listed in the list file is installed. The last one shouldn't be a duplicate.
    What I was 'technically' referring to was having a folder, let's say, on my computer. I would Select All and drag everything from that folder into the AutoInstall folder of my phone and then Reboot. The folder on my computer would never 'empty.'. I would just keep dragging and dropping and rebooting until everything was installed. Does that make sense? LOL!

I know that's a lot of repetition but it's one way of getting all the dependencies on there...

By the way, one of the things I found out last night was that AutoInstalls are completed after the boot, not during. You can tell when it's done by when Cydia stops giving you a "cannot access lock file" error.

Thanks

...again, that's also why I was curious as to how dependency files our phone needs for most, if not all, apps to work. And of those dependencies, how many depend on something else. This would give a clear idea of how many times I'd need to reinstall everything.

Thanks

I could have too if I didn't stay up until 4 A.M. Last night as a result of the "alpha" version.
    Lol. I only really started messing with it today. I'm thinking I may use Package: Depends: and Pre-Depends when it's all said and done tho. I know I'm going to think of 50 ways to do this now to just "simplify it" that much more.

Thanks

By the way, one of the things I found out last night was that AutoInstalls are completed after the boot, not during. You can tell when it's done by when Cydia stops giving you a "cannot access lock file" error.
    Interesting!!! I've never seen that error since I've never gone about trying this whole thing yet. Good to know and kinda answers my question I just posted!

How'd you two even figure out how to write script for this kind of stuff? School or on your own???

Thanks

Are you trying to use AutoInstall for this? If so all you'd need is a package made of this script to put in auto install. Right?
    Last edited by A3gOwner; 01-14-2012 at 11:36 PM.

It gives this error because it's dangerous for more than one apt process to be running. If you execute an "apt-get install" command or an OpenBackup restore you'll get it too. The lock file is located at /var/cache/apt/archives/lock.

Thanks

Lol. I only really started messing with it today. I'm thinking I may use Package: Depends: and Pre-Depends when it's all said and done tho. I know I'm going to think of 50 ways to do this now to just "simplify it" that much more.
    Where are you going to apply those control file commands? With every dependency or are you gonna bundle everything together and have the control file determine when to apply those rules?

How'd you two even figure out how to write script for this kind of stuff? School or on your own???
    Personally, Google. There are lots of Unix forums. You have to take bits and pieces to make parts that you can implement in many different situations. I made a very useful code piece that imports one line of a file at a time into a command loop until the end of a file is reached by piecing together like 5 different abstract concepts.

Thanks

Ok I'm not using them like an actual dependency. It would just be in the list file generated from the status file for dpkg. Instead of going line by line it may be easier to use those descriptors.

Me both started a hobby with a Linux box. Then went to school for it thanks to the military for paying for it.

Thanks

Are you trying to use AutoInstall for this? If so all you'd need is a package made of this script to put in auto install. Right?
    That's what I had originally proposed to Zokunei. Getting a Cydia app that would save EVERY package and dependency into a folder on our phone so we could copy that folder onto a computer. If, for example, BigBoss crashed again, then we could create the Media, Cydia, AutoInstall folder and place all these saved .deb files into the AutoInstall folder - Reboot - and everything we had before will be reinstalled...without the need for BigBoss' server

That's what the script I sent you does and what caused me to restore last night because it doesn't handle installing everything correctly.

Thanks

PkgBackup saves 'what' you had BUT checks for the latest version when restoring. If a repo is down or the app doesn't exist anymore, PkgBackup won't install it...which sux!

That's what OpenBackup does.

Thanks

That's what the script I sent you does and what caused me to restore last night because it doesn't handle installing everything correctly.
    I see... Sorry bout that...

That's what OpenBackup does.
    Except yours is free and I paid $8 to encounter this problem!! I wouldn't complain to you since you were generous enough to do this for the community but after the PkgBackup issue, I started wondering if there was a way to guarantee a backup/restore of my stuff w/out the need of a server.
    Last edited by thazsar; 01-14-2012 at 11:48 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast