Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Installing packages from backup offline

Perhaps there is a way to simply not install stuff that is already installed? Then we wouldn't have to worry about stripping it. Or, we could just delete the debs after we use them as to prevent them being installed multiple times.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,875 Times in 1,244 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A3gOwner View Post
    Edit: re read that. No The only issue I have is just reinstalling packages over and over in the process. It's easy to do a depend with a depend.
    So then, let's say you have a folder w/ all the dependency files in it; then you copy and paste ALL those files and manually installed ALL of those files at once; what happens? Is their a conflict? Do only some get installed while others are excluded?

I ask cuz I realize that Cydia apps have dependencies but I thought if you installed ALL the dependency files at once, then it wouldn't matter what 'regular' Cydia app is installed afterwards since all the dependent files are on your phone.
    Last edited by thazsar; 01-14-2012 at 10:34 PM.

If those dependency files have dependencies then they would not be installed. I'm thinking maybe go over the folder a few times but delete the files after you use them?

There's really no point in separating dependencies from "regular" apps because some regular apps are dependencies, like SBSettings or Activator.
    Last edited by Zokunei; 01-14-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Thanks

Ok just real quick, We're using debs saved to ~/openbackup per your script. Then we're trying to use a script to install from said directory using the stripped down list created from the status file.

Now with deleting them what happens when you call them the second or third time using the script

You get a "no such file or directory" error. Nothing major.

Thanks

As long as it continues on then good to go. I ran to McDonald's so I couldn't try it. But I'll check it out as soon as I'm back.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    If those dependency files have dependencies then they would not be installed. I'm thinking maybe go over the folder a few times but delete the files after you use them?
    So they will not install if the 'said' dependent file has a dependency. Then, what harm is done if the 'said' dependent file was reinstalled to allow the 'next' dependent file(s) to be installed.

Example (I'm making this up): Folder 1 has dependency files: A, B & C
    -Copy & Paste A,B & C into the AutoInstall Folder and Reboot
    -ONLY A gets installed cuz B & C are dependent on it
    -Open Folder 1 again and Copy A, B & C again
    -Paste A, B & C in the AutoInstall Folder again and Reboot

Does it matter if A gets reinstalled or does it cause a proble? Will B & C get installed since A is already installed?

There's no problem with reinstalls, it's just inefficient. Deleting them and just continuing to B & C is much more efficient.

Thanks

There's no problem with reinstalls, it's just inefficient. Deleting them and just continuing to B & C is much more efficient.
    I gotcha.

Essentially, you'd like to remove the dependency so you can install the app...no matter what?

I guess, though, that removing the Depends from the control file isn't working?
    Last edited by thazsar; 01-14-2012 at 10:49 PM.

Thanks

So sounds like you've got it. Now who wants to actually try it fresh? I've been using a working phone and just reinstalling over copies already present. I'll do it I've got a spare I can use while I'll do it. I've already got all the debs I need on my pc.

Yeah. It's just a lot less complicated to delete any file after using it. They have to be deleted in the end anyway.

My test last night started when all of my packages randomly uninstalled. Every single one. The only thing of a jailbreak I had left was afc2. I wasn't upset because I was about to remove everything but what I needed for an AutoInstall anyway.

Thanks

I was trying to keep the debs on the phone instead of deleting as we go. I don't know why but I was.

Thanks

At the moment, I'm stuck w/out an iDevice to practice on. :-( I'm not gonna use my wife's phone or the kid's iPad to test...and all I have is a 4S. I usually do this kinda stuff on my personal device since I don't mind restoring but testing on family devices has been prohibited! LOL!

...and back to the 'control.tar.gz' file. If you remove the dependencies from it, will the file not install?

It would install, but doing that is unnecessarily complicated.

Thanks

Lastly, does a .deb HAVE to have a control file? If not, can a script be made to remove it from an app. If it does require one, can a script be made to replace the original 'control' file w/ a generic 'control' file that doesn't have any dependencies?

Plus, removing it from that file wouldn't change anything with the way this script works.

Thanks

It would install, but doing that is unnecessarily complicated.
    I see... I already typed that other thing while you were replying...sorry!

Plus, removing it from that file wouldn't change anything with the way this script works.
    Never mind this. I see what you were saying now.

Thanks

I'm wondering two things:
    1. How many dependency files are there
    &
    2. How many of these dependencies have another dependency...

If I had Folder1 with 10 dependencies in it, how many times would I need to reinstall ALL the contents of that folder so everything was finally installed? 2 times, 4, times, 9 times???
    That would be interesting to know...

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Lastly, does a .deb HAVE to have a control file? If not, can a script be made to remove it from an app. If it does require one, can a script be made to replace the original 'control' file w/ a generic 'control' file that doesn't have any dependencies?
    Just to let you know, this is where all the metadata is stored, including the identifier. So no, it wouldn't install without a control file.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast