+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: USB Support for iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone / iPod Touch SDK | Development Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
So basically, my idea is that, well with an iPhone usb cable you can easily put a female to female on the end of the usb cable and connect a
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Wink USB Support for iPhone
    So basically, my idea is that, well with an iPhone usb cable you can easily put a female to female on the end of the usb cable and connect a USB drive. Now is it possible to build a library that supports this and creates maybe a symbolic link in the root of the iphone. so /usb would link to the usb drive. I thought of this because I have a 16gb iPhone 4 and I'm still running low so then I could just move all of my like PDF books, etc. to the external usb drive and view them from there, using iFile of course. Thanks!

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I believe Kingston Technology recently introduced a wireless device similar to what you're talking about.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    I believe Kingston Technology recently introduced a wireless device similar to what you're talking about.
    Any idea what it's called?
    Apple's "camera connection kit" seems to do the same sort of thing, but only works with iPad.
    While i'm not 100% sure, I suspect there's some internal hardware support on iPad that iPhone/iPod lacks.

(would like to know, much, much more, if this aint so )
    Last edited by raduga; 07-22-2011 at 08:16 AM.

Thanks

I see.
    Its a dedicated provider for streaming content (video, audio, etc) over tcp/ip to the phone.
    Airplay, in your pocket.

No connection to the iPhone's filesystem.
    Quote Originally Posted by akash86 View Post
    So basically, my idea is that, well with an iPhone usb cable you can easily put a female to female on the end of the usb cable and connect a USB drive. Now is it possible to build a library that supports this and creates maybe a symbolic link in the root of the iphone. so /usb would link to the usb drive. I thought of this because I have a 16gb iPhone 4 and I'm still running low so then I could just move all of my like PDF books, etc. to the external usb drive and view them from there, using iFile of course. Thanks!
    akash86: it CAN be done in iOS.
    The iPad, iPad v2 can do it with the "Camera Connection Kit" from Apple, that basically gives you a raw USB port on your machine.

CCK won't work on iPhone or iPod, and there's no documentation so we're not completely sure why.
    Either the iPhone doesn't have USB host functionality in its motherboard, or its disabled.
    If its software-disabled, there could be a kext that would enable it (maybe borrowed from iPad kernel internals?)

All, theoretical. I just don't know, and don't have an iPad to explore further;
    and none of the kernel hackers WITH an iPad has yet chimed in to report on what they've figured out about yet.

(still hoping.... for some answer, or at least closure....)
    someday