Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is the art of Icon making lost?

Threaded View

iPhone? More like MyPhone trentmorris's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Is the art of Icon making lost?
    Maybe I just need to rant, so I'll make it short. I don't want to offend anyone, or their themes, because there are still a lot of very talented people submitting themes these days. It just seems like 99% of the Winterboard themes I see consist of an intricately skinned UI, beautiful battery/lockscreen, with wonderful backgrounds, gradients, and textures throughout.

But then come the icons, roughly thrown into a an overly shiny border, possibly resized, the end. It's pathetic really. If you take the time to create a uniquely polished user interface, why settle for stock icons framed in a bland box?

And please don't take this as an attack on everyone making themes today, because there is some stunning work out there, but a lot of packages fall short because the icons are half-assed. I'm also not saying I'm better than anyone else. I have been working for months on my first theme "Colorgasm HD" that was released the other week, and I now know how hard it really is to create a "complete" theme. I spend a good 150-200 hours on icons alone, and worked them in with very minimalistic additions to the UI because I know where my creative strengths are.

Icons are the first thing you notice on the screen of an iPhone, and what sets every theme apart. So when every theme has the same icons only in a different silver border, it's sad. I can't be the only person tired of this lazy tradition right?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trentmorris For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (04-21-2011), DevouredDreams (04-21-2011), Freakyboy67 (05-15-2011), Jahooba (05-03-2011)