+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Is the art of Icon making lost?

is a discussion within the

iPhone / iPod Touch SDK | Development Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Originally Posted by Str4y Wait so if i have a paid theme i should include my icon frame for free? and let people make icons? Ew no, if your icon
...
  1. #21
    iPhone? More like MyPhone trentmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 105 Times in 38 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Str4y View Post
    Wait so if i have a paid theme i should include my icon frame for free? and let people make icons?
    Ew no, if your icon consists of the stock icon under a frame, use auto-skinning. I'm talking about a theme with original icons, made individually. And most themers will include the PSD so you can make a couple if you have some weird unpopular apps.

  2. #22
    Livin the iPhone Life Stray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    You Know...
    Posts
    14,077
    Thanks
    676
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,075 Posts

    I'd rather make the icons myself for someone but not give it out lol. Thats just me tho
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

  3. #23
    iPhone? More like MyPhone trentmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 105 Times in 38 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Str4y View Post
    I'd rather make the icons myself for someone but not give it out lol. Thats just me tho
    I guess I'm just a nicer person, haha. I still fulfill icon requests for people who aren't familiar with graphic design, but people who are comfortable making icons really appreciate having the PSD included, especially if they paid for the theme. It's the same concept of jailbreaking an iPhone. We believe it's our right since we own the hardware. Same with a theme.. if I bought it and use it on my springboard, I should be able to add icons for my own use.

    Good chat Str4y.

  4. #24
    Livin the iPhone Life Stray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    You Know...
    Posts
    14,077
    Thanks
    676
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,075 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by trentmorris View Post
    I guess I'm just a nicer person, haha. I still fulfill icon requests for people who aren't familiar with graphic design, but people who are comfortable making icons really appreciate having the PSD included, especially if they paid for the theme. It's the same concept of jailbreaking an iPhone. We believe it's our right since we own the hardware. Same with a theme.. if I bought it and use it on my springboard, I should be able to add icons for my own use.

    Good chat Str4y.
    If they paid i'd do it lol. nice chat with you too
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

  5. #25
    Theme Creator Jahooba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,985
    Thanks
    1,438
    Thanked 1,719 Times in 851 Posts

    I think of each icon as a tiny work of art. The downside is that you'll never theme 800 pages of apps, but the upside is that you're far more in control of what your theme looks like, and in a better position to make your theme unique/ stand out.

    It's a ton of work. Each icon presents its own little challenges.

    There was a lot more pressure in the past to create hundreds of icons (for me at least) - but this was in the days when we only had Categories - now it's like, "Look, Apple has given you folders - you don't need to put all 500 of your apps on the homescreen - whatever's not themed, simply stick them in a themed folder!" Default folders really took the pressure off.

  6. #26
    iPhone? More like MyPhone trentmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 105 Times in 38 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    "Look, Apple has given you folders - you don't need to put all 500 of your apps on the homescreen - whatever's not themed, simply stick them in a themed folder!" Default folders really took the pressure off.
    Very well put. My thoughts exactly.

  7. #27
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Because we have too many apps now...300thousands, you know.

  8. #28
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    2,004
    Thanks
    361
    Thanked 516 Times in 380 Posts

    I fully agree with the op, most of the uniqueness is lost with auto-skin, most themes look quite similar and as a result I've started to use dreamboard more so the icons are all hidden away.
    But I can't complain as I have zero ps skills and have to be happy with what is given.

  9. #29
    iPhone? More like MyPhone ICydiaify's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    183
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    I love people's themes add my theme called apple dark at ICydiaify.comoj.com

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts