+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SMS.db and MMS Messages

is a discussion within the

iPhone / iPod Touch SDK | Development Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Wondering if anyone else out there could help me with a pet project. Been looking to really understand the inner workings of the iPhone sms.db (and maybe, possibly, recreate YouArchive.It
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default SMS.db and MMS Messages
    Wondering if anyone else out there could help me with a pet project.
    Been looking to really understand the inner workings of the iPhone sms.db (and maybe, possibly, recreate YouArchive.It in the process) and I've come across something that has been stumping me in how the DB handles MMS messages.

There are 3 parts responsible for an MMS message:
    1)message table: ROWID pointer to the MMS message
    2)msg_parts table: the components of the MMS message with a file name
    3)~/Library/SMS/Parts/: the actual holding pen for the MMS files.

The msg_parts table contains the text of the message as well as the original file name of the MMS attachment, but on the phone the attachment is named after the message table's ROWID and msg_part ID (ex. 1537-0.jpg, 254-1.gif...).
    My problem is that the attachemnt files are stored under subdirectories of subdirectories of Parts/ (ex. parts/00/05/46773-0.jpg). No where in message or msg_parts does it indicate the path back to the image and I'm wondering how the Parts/XX/YY is derived.

Any pointers are appreciated. Thx.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hello,

Did you eventually work out what XX/YY mean?
    I'm trying to do the same thing as you!

I just know what XX means: it's message's group_id in hex. But I still can't understand where YY comes from: looks like it's an incremental number, to me, but I don't know where it's stored.

Maybe we could share our findings and improve our work?

Alessandro

//EDIT
    By the way, this was my post, added just a few hours ago:
    sms.db and MMS messages: a question

I used to be a sort of "expert" of sms.db, as I was the lead developer of a well-known iPhone application between 2007 and 2009.
    We probably found out everything possible about sms.db on 1.0.x, 1.1.x, 2.x and 3.x... But we never worked with MMS messages in the past.
    Last edited by TheOtherMe; 06-04-2011 at 11:19 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

Default new here...
    Hello, I am new here.

Iím sorry if this is the wrong for this post, but I was hoping some one here on modmyi.com would be able to assist me access youtube from work as it it is restricted.

Any help would be wounderful

Thanks ;-

Banned
    Thanks

Default Do I have to pay to be a member?
    No! If you aren't a member already, Join today! Basic (Bronze) membership is free, but if you would like the extra benefits or you would just like to help us pay the bills, you can purchase a Paying (Gold) Membership for less than $4.50 a month! Paying members receive features such as the Chat Picture Upload Tool, Custom Color Schemes, Permanent Ignore List, Favorite Chat Room list and much more!

Sign up for a free Basic (Bronze) membership and see if our community is something you would like to be a part of. If you're an adult and enjoy adult conversation, or if you like to dream up mythical characters, or if you just want to chat about your day, we have chat rooms for you! If you do not like to chat in real time, check out the Discussion Board where you can discuss numerous topics.