Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Quick Question About App Development.

Default Quick Question About App Development.
    I have been interested in learning App development for a while now, so I have been learning Objective-C in the past few weeks. The question I have is, will I be able to put my own apps on my iPhone or will I need to be in the Developer's Program even for that? I am currently interested apps just for myself, so paying 100$ for a program I can't even be in (I live in a country that is not supported by the Apple Store) is just silly. My iDevices are jailbroken so there has to be a way for me to put my own apps in my devices without the iPhone Developer program.

You only need to pay for the program if you are going to distrubute the app to appstore, but if you just want the app on your device, it's basically just plug in the Iphone and build it(excode will install it for you into the device).

You can also distrubute to cydia if you wish, but that's another story.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Havalito For This Useful Post:

Madeleine (03-10-2011)

Sorry for my late reply.

I made a simple app with a button that makes a label show "Hello world!" when you press it. It's not appearing on my device though? I have build it, used the Build & Run option and it appears in the iOS simulator, but not on my device. Is there anything else I need to do?

Also, I will want to distribute some apps via Cydia later. Probably in a couple of months. Will it be a hassle to do that?

In Xcode go to Window - Organizer and setup your iphone as development device, if you already haven't.
    Get MusicDog at cydia, free music streaming app.

I did, but it's not that easy. It didn't work. Apparently, I need to "fake-sign" my code.
    Quite a hassle, but I'm sure I will find a tutorial that will help.

Yeah I forgot to mention that, just google it and you should find something called "Jailbroken Developer" it's a tutorial I believe, long time ago I set up my account.
    Get MusicDog at cydia, free music streaming app.

I don't know if I found the one you used, but I got it to work. For those interested, I used this tutorial to compile an iOS 4.2 app and it works like a charm.