Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SMS over Bluetooth?

Default SMS over Bluetooth?
    Could someone make a tweak that would allow the iPhone 4 to do SMS over Bluetooth please. Some of the android devices support this. It's useful in the right situation

There are Bluetooth Message apps like this

This on has a the standard SMS feel and is very similar plus its free

I dont want chat though.. I am looking for SMS

I don't know if SMS would be possible over bluetooth with multiple connections like the SMS app is...You could probably only have one conversation going at a time

Some Andriod phones are capable of it. Its not something I need for constant communication.. Id just like to have the functionality

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

SMS is a service run by the phone company. Bluetooth is a direct point to point connection.

You can message between phones but it wouldn't be the SMS format since its point to point. You would need an application capable of finding the peer and sending the messages that way. Since the bluetooth connection is phone to phone, there is no route out to the cell network so I highly doubt you are sending SMS over bluetooth on Android.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbarker View Post
    Could someone make a tweak that would allow the iPhone 4 to do SMS over Bluetooth please. Some of the android devices support this. It's useful in the right situation
    In iOS6 Apple added support for Bluetooth MAP (Message Access Profile) which allows receiving SMS via Bluetooth.

My own Phone Amego provides Mac-to-Phone integration including on-screen SMS and Caller ID.

Unfortunately iPhone does not yet allow sending SMS via Bluetooth even though this is a widely expected and supported feature of Bluetooth MAP.

Enjoy!