+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Theme Scavenger Hunt?

is a discussion within the

iPhone / iPod Touch SDK | Development Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
I wasn't sure where to post this, because it doesn't really fit in any of the forums, but I had an idea for a bunch of theme makers to make
    iPhone? More like MyPhone PermaBan's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Cydia Theme Scavenger Hunt?
    I wasn't sure where to post this, because it doesn't really fit in any of the forums, but I had an idea for a bunch of theme makers to make new themes and put little hints in these themes (sounds, graphics, icons, hidden .txt files, springboard messages, etc.) that would give the user a clue towards what theme to download next, and this next theme would have another clue directing the downloader to another theme, and so on... Until they are finally directed to something... awesome?
    I'm not sure what that would be :P. The hints should be very small and hard to find, and would not detract from the actual look of the theme. This is just an idea I had, and wanted to see if a anybody thinks this is a good idea/would want to try this. It could also help lesser-known themers like myself get our names out there... thoughts?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PermaBan For This Useful Post:

FreeApple (10-29-2010), raduga (10-29-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Sounds pretty cool, what about a prize when they reach the end for the people with slow iPods like me or others???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by T0X1CAT3D View Post
    Sounds pretty cool, what about a prize when they reach the end for the people with slow iPods like me or others???
    A good prize could be a super-complete awesome ultimate theme made by all of the people that put the scavenger hunt together that is hosted on a hidden repo... and the last clue would be the URL of that repo :P

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 414 Posts

I like the idea I will talk with a few theme creators and see what we can whip up!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBan View Post
    I wasn't sure where to post this, because it doesn't really fit in any of the forums, but I had an idea for a bunch of theme makers to make new themes and put little hints in these themes (sounds, graphics, icons, hidden .txt files, springboard messages, etc.) that would give the user a clue towards what theme to download next, and this next theme would have another clue directing the downloader to another theme, and so on... Until they are finally directed to something... awesome?
    I'm not sure what that would be :P. The hints should be very small and hard to find, and would not detract from the actual look of the theme. This is just an idea I had, and wanted to see if a anybody thinks this is a good idea/would want to try this. It could also help lesser-known themers like myself get our names out there... thoughts?
    This idea seems utterly absurd and meaningless, and I can't imagine why anyone would be bothered to play this sort of game with their iDevices,

but your username rocks, so you've got my support

Green Apple
    Thanks

LOL . . . I would but though wish the stuff that they made is to be perfectly working with 4.1 . . . why, because there is a jailbreak for all devices running 4.1. Also, make wo different verisions???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    This idea seems utterly absurd and meaningless, and I can't imagine why anyone would be bothered to play this sort of game with their iDevices,

but your username rocks, so you've got my support
    Haha! Thanks I guess :P
    And yes, besides the super awesome deluxe theme at the end, this little game I'm proposing is about as pointless as a crossword puzzle... Or a sudoku puzzle... Or an "I Spy" book. The challenge and fun is in finding the next clue, and enjoying a new theme while you do it.
    Creator of Modern Blue
    Follow me on Twitter! PermaBanMMI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

I often leave little Easter eggs in my themes, but:

How would we alert people to our theme being a part of the hunt/ game? There are a heck of a lot of themes out there, and it would take a long time to sift through descriptions looking for participating themes.

And I'm not sure how I feel about people going through the file system of my theme. I mean, it's kind of an unsaid rule that we can do it, just don't talk about it out of respect to the theme maker, and certainly don't encourage it with your theme.

I may be alone on that, I don't know. But as someone that's made a complete theme, a lot of work goes into it and to have someone snooping through your stuff is like someone going through your sock drawer or something. If I don't see it it doesn't bother me, but once again I don't think we should really encourage it.

If you figure out the logistics to make it work, and it's not too intrusive, I'll add it to my theme

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post

How would we alert people to our theme being a part of the hunt/ game? There are a heck of a lot of themes out there, and it would take a long time to sift through descriptions looking for participating themes.

And I'm not sure how I feel about people going through the file system of my theme. I mean, it's kind of an unsaid rule that we can do it, just don't talk about it out of respect to the theme maker, and certainly don't encourage it with your theme.

I may be alone on that, I don't know. But as someone that's made a complete theme, a lot of work goes into it and to have someone snooping through your stuff is like someone going through your sock drawer or something. If I don't see it it doesn't bother me, but once again I don't think we should really encourage it.

If you figure out the logistics to make it work, and it's not too intrusive, I'll add it to my theme
    The only theme that people would need to know is part of the hunt is the starting theme. The starting theme would lead them to the second theme, and the second theme would lead them to the third theme, etc. The starting theme could be named "CYDIA SCAVENGER HUNT START." or something like that :P

As to people going through your theme's filesystem, that would be cheating the way I meant for people to find clues is to leave hints in the UI, like write the name of the next theme somewhere in a rarely-used app, like the background of Stocks or Clock. You could also replace one of the sounds with the name of a theme, like make the unlock sound the name of the next theme. (that would be way too obvious :P)

If people want to ruin the fun and go into the filesystem to find the next clue, then nobody's stopping them. But even that would be a challenge, since they would have to look at every single modded app, pictures, sounds, etc to find it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Sounds amazing. Have the unlock noise be like..ssh and find our document in xxx/yyy/zzz to find the next theme. Or something? Sounds awesome(:
    If you need help with sound lemme know

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by under40daddy View Post
    Sounds amazing. Have the unlock noise be like..ssh and find our document in xxx/yyy/zzz to find the next theme. Or something? Sounds awesome(:
    If you need help with sound lemme know
    hah! yea that would be cool! @permaband nice idea but alot of hard work

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post

Yes I agree with Jahooba there are sooo many themes out there it would be almost impossible to find the "special" theme
    Last edited by athleticswimmer; 11-15-2010 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by athleticswimmer View Post

Yes I agree with Jahooba there are sooo many themes out there it would be almost impossible to find the "special" theme
    First of all, atheleticswimmer, I keep running into you in these posts!(:

Second, maybe if we host them on secret repos? Then not only do they get the theme, but apps and tweaks and other things too. Like hints towards the next repo?