+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: $50 - Running sh script from within app or copying files

is a discussion within the

iPhone / iPod Touch SDK | Development Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
I'm trying to accomplish two goals... I'm not sure how to accomplish it and I have tried for over an hour I am trying to make a jailbreak app which
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default $50 - Running sh script from within app or copying files
    I'm trying to accomplish two goals... I'm not sure how to accomplish it and I have tried for over an hour

I am trying to make a jailbreak app which when you press a uibutton it executes a sh script..

App location is /Application/Test.app
    Script Location is /Application/Test.app/start.sh (copied into bundle after the fact))

I've tried the following and it doesn't work...

Code:
    NSString* commandToRun = @"/Applications/Test.app/start.sh";
    system([commandToRun UTF8String]);
    I've also tried to skip the script and just copy the file to /Library/Wallpapers directly... Using some of the commands below..

PLEASE HELP!
    Code:
    	NSData *fileData = [NSData dataWithContentsOfFile:@"/Applications/Test.app/hello.jpg"];
    	NSFileManager *fm = [NSFileManager defaultManager];
    	[fm createFileAtPath:@"/Library/Wallpapers/hello.jpg" contents:fileData attributes:nil];
    Code:
    	NSFileManager *fm = [NSFileManager defaultManager];
    	[fm copyItemAtPath:@"/Applications/Test.app/hello.jpg" toPath: @"/Library/Wallpapers/" error:nil];
    If anyone can solve this for me exactly how I described $50 via paypal is yours.

Developer
    Thanks

This is probably possible, (although I'm not exactly sure how) but you could just add your shell script as one of the buttons in mobile terminal (click the carrier icon and add your command to the menu) and then it would only be 2 clicks. One to open up mobile terminal, and then hold down on the text part and let go on your command button. That would still be sorta quick, and when you press the home button you don't have to worry about it killing your script.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm convinced something else is going on.. I setup bash scripts.. have everything setuid'd.. owners set to root:admin .. and it still doesn't work.. i get the app to launch as root and it still says permission denied...

Developer
    Thanks

It's not saying 'killed' is it? If so, sign it with "ldid -S appname".
    Just out of curiosity, what are you wanting to run with this? There may be a better/easier way.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Charybdis View Post
    It's not saying 'killed' is it? If so, sign it with "ldid -S appname".
    Just out of curiosity, what are you wanting to run with this? There may be a better/easier way.
    I definately signed it.. Ok what i'm trying to do is to have a UIButton basically move or copy a file in /Applications/MyApp.app/ into /Library

There's specific reasons why I have to do it inside an app and not through mobileterminal etc...

Developer
    Thanks

I played around with this a bit and couldn't get anything right off hand, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone has already done this. Check the hackint0sh forums, xsellize forums, or ipodtouchfan forums, they might have something.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Charybdis View Post
    I played around with this a bit and couldn't get anything right off hand, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone has already done this. Check the hackint0sh forums, xsellize forums, or ipodtouchfan forums, they might have something.
    it aint easy lol .. i just saw that ripdev released the source code to icy last night as they went belly up... i'm going to dig thru there code and i'll post anything interesting i find... it should be in there

Thanks

I'd say run your shell script with NSTask, but that was removed in the iPhone 3.0 OS release I think...

Green Apple
    Thanks

why not make a toggle in SB Settings? there is a SDK available.

Thanks

permission denied sounds like it's not executable. Have you checked that?

Does the script work when ran from MobileTerminal?