Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone With Hotspot@Home

Default iPhone With Hotspot@Home
    I have been googling for hours and have not found anything new on this topic. Is it possible or not? I would guess that their is some hardware involved but I really dont know? Does anyone know if their has been a definent answers as to if this is possible?
    Thanks!

I don't think it is hardware-dependent, but it is definitely phone model based, considering T-Mobile has to "flip the switch" to allow your phone IMEI to connect to their network through wifi. In addition, you would need a T-Mobile "gateway" VoIP application to connect through because the stock MobilePhone.app application does not support VoIP calling, let alone through T-Mobile. If you are really into WiFi calling, may I suggest iCall? I tried it out the other day and it's pretty neat, totally free outbound calling over WiFi. You can use it with 3G Unrestrictor too, but for some reason, I have had complaints on the other end about not hearing my voice. I guess T-Mobile EDGE upload rates aren't fast enough to support VoIP calling over a cellular data network (not that they were intended for such use in the first place haha).

Thanks for your help I just get horrible service in my house and thought that could help!

Go with iCall for the time being. You won't be able to receive calls over it, but you can sign up for YouMail and be texted whenever you miss a call. I like that feature a lot--even if your phone is off or where there is no service, you're still informed if someone called you.