+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Use Corona to write iPhone apps in Lua

is a discussion within the

iPhone / iPod Touch SDK | Development Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Hi everyone, I just wanted to let you know about a product we're releasing called Corona. Its an SDK for the iPhone using the programming language, Lua. Its very easy
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Use Corona to write iPhone apps in Lua
    Hi everyone, I just wanted to let you know about a product we're releasing called Corona. Its an SDK for the iPhone using the programming language, Lua. Its very easy to use. Its in beta at the moment so you can download it for free from out web site at: Ansca | Unlock your imagination...

Here's a sample of how easy it is to use:

local text = display.newText("Hello World", 10,10,nil,18)
    text:setTextColor(255,255,255,255)

this displays the text 'Hello World' at location 10,10 on the screen with font size 18. The text color is RGBA. Thats it. You save your file and run the simulator and get white text at the top. Give it a try, its free right now. If you've been intimidated by trying to use objective-c, this is a perfect alternative. There's also a great sample library and documentation to get you started. Feel free to send me an email if you have questions at: [email protected] or check out the forums on the site.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Intresting. I remember LUA back in college. Is this going to be a SDK plugin to Xcode that allows you to build AppStore apps for the iPhone using this framework similar to NibleKit or is this going to be a jailbroken development environment only?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The Corona SDK doesn't require a jailbroken iphone. Right now, the iphone sdk from apple has to be installed, but you don't actually have to use it. Right now the build process isn't quite streamlined yet, but by the time we're done, it should remove a lot of the headache involved, but as far as testing your apps go, we provide a simulator that you just drag your lua file to and it runs.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Very interesting, I will try it out

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Interesting. Any word on if Apple will allow these apps in the appstore yet if you abide by their rules and use only allowed API calls?

I liked the LUA scripting we used to do with DC++ bots when we ran the network in college. Might wanna dig up some of my documents. Haha.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

They already have apps on the app store... so... yes! ;-)

Thanks

I have corona sdk and it is awesome
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Use Corona to write iPhone apps in Lua-imageuploadedbymodmyi.jpg  
    HIT THANKS BUTTON TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION