+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SDK apps onto jailbroken phones (without dev license)

is a discussion within the

iPhone / iPod Touch SDK | Development Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
I've started developing apps using the official Apple SDK and I need to start testing them on my device. Unfortunately I still haven't heard from Apple regarding my dev license
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default SDK apps onto jailbroken phones (without dev license)
    I've started developing apps using the official Apple SDK and I need to start testing them on my device. Unfortunately I still haven't heard from Apple regarding my dev license application I submitted about a month ago, and the iPhone simulator, while awesome, is just not enough.

So I'd like to figure out a way to build apps and ssh/scp them to my iPhone and run them.

I saw Saurik's discussion on self codesigning apps, but the SDK won't even attempt to build the app for a target other than the iPhone simulator unless you have the dev license.

I have an old (pre 2.0) toolchain here for jailbroken devices, so I suppose I could try to update that, though I'm not sure how difficult it is to transition xCode projects to the jailbroken toolchain.

Has anyone solved this? i.e., the basic problem of writing an app on the SDK but then figuring out a way to put it on a jailbroken phone without a dev license?

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,460 Times in 1,264 Posts

Wont happen. I would be harping on Apple.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Won't happen?
    Okay - but there should be a way to move the project over to the jailbroken toolchain, presumably someone has done (and hopefully documented) this?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

There is ways to do it. I forgot the document but Apple has come out and banned developers who have used their SDK to write jailbreak apps.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I understand, but I'm not trying to develop a jailbroken app - I just want to be able to test my app on my device while I'm waiting for my developer cert. So while Apple may frown upon it - I'm not actually releasing my app into the wild except via the app store (someday).

So again - if anybody has any pointers, that would be great.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daveola View Post
    I understand, but I'm not trying to develop a jailbroken app - I just want to be able to test my app on my device while I'm waiting for my developer cert. So while Apple may frown upon it - I'm not actually releasing my app into the wild except via the app store (someday).

So again - if anybody has any pointers, that would be great.
    Use the iPhone emulator in Xcode

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yes, and as mentioned in my first post, the simulator isn't cutting it anymore. It doesn't do everything the iPhone does after all, such as full multi-touch support, etc..

So, I need to run this on a device to continue development.

Again, has anyone converted an xCode project to the jailbroken toolchain?

Thanks

simulator is a totally different beast than the physical iPhone. in theory the simulator should act in the same way the iphone does, but if you are messing around with other directories or things of that nature you need to be on an actual iphone.

there are ways to bypass code sign cert in xcode, but i haven't figured it out yet.

there are xcode jailbroken templates that supposedly will bypass it... you just sync to your phone and then use idid to sign it so the phone will run it.

here is the latest toolchain and setup instructions:
    Building - iphone-dev - How to build the toolchain. - Google Code

here is the templates and the developer's guide to set up and use them:
    [XCode Template] for SDK and Open Toolchain API in firmware 2.0 - Hackint0sh