Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Imagemagick on iPod touch

Default Imagemagick on iPod touch
    Hi,

I want to have a go at compiling Imagemagic ( imagemagick.org ) to run on my ipod touch. I've installed the toolchain with cygwin on windows but there's a stage in the imagemagick installation instructions that tells me to use ./configure. Which i think sets up the make file or something, but it sets it up to compile it for the system I'm running cygwin on not the ipod.

So a couple of questions really:

1) Is this ever going to work, or am I barking up the wrong tree.

2) If it is possible how do I set things up so it compiles for the iPod.

Thanks for your help.

It's not going to work with configure due to iPhone using UIKit and not AppKit for main application classes. It would need to be ported.
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage

Hi,

Thanks for your response. Would porting it be a massive task?

It really depends on the program...if ImageMagick is mostly processing stuff, with only a few GUI interactions, then it probably wouldn't be too hard.

I've found that the hardest thing about porting is learning what each part of the code does...if you already have a general idea, then it shouldn't be all that hard.

I'm pretty sure it doesnt have any GUI. You just cal a bunch of processes through a scripting language. I'll have to make sure, but if this is the case I wouldn't have to worry about porting it right?

Looking at the application, most of the tools should compile pretty easily, I think.

Any of the programs that display images will need work, however.
    Pocket-sized Development

It can display the results through a web browser, does this mean that this might not be an issue either?
    Last edited by moesian; 02-11-2008 at 04:24 PM.

Hi I want to have a go at comiling this but I need to know how to skip the ./configure when I try to compile so that I can compile it for the ipod and not the machine I'm running cygwin on.

I would suggest not bypassing configure, but running it and then editting the resulting config.h and Makefile to reflect the iPod Touch environment.
    Pocket-sized Development

please get this working... we need it for swirlymms and the camera roll

not work on iphone...

Here is a start:

Run the ./configure command as follows with these options:

Code:
    ./configure --build=i686-pc-cygwin --host=arm-apple-darwin --disable-largefile --with-quantum-depth=8 --without-magick-plus-plus --without-perl
    After it finishes, modify Makefile - find the line that says
    CFLAGS = -g -O2 -Wall ...
    and add -DNDEBUG to the end

Then modify magick/studio.h - find the line that says #include <limits.h> and add two lines after it:
    Code:
    #include <sys/syslimits.h>
    #include <arm/limits.h>
    NOTE: I also copied /home/iphone-dev/llvm-gcc-4.0-iphone/config.guess into the config directory to replace the original, but I now don't think that was necessary.

Mine is still compiling, so I will test the result later...

Got it working

Since the install archive I created is 2.2MB, I added it to Downloads with some basic directions.

Fundamentally unarchive into corresponding directories from archive and make sure to chmod +x /usr/local/bin* and /usr/local/bin/.libs/*

If you don't have /usr/local/bin in PATH, add it.

Then you can test with
    identify logo:
    convert logo: logo.gif

Unfortunately, I haven't (yet) done the libjpeg or libPNG libraries, so the routines are a little sparse on the filetypes they can handle.
    Last edited by NetMage; 03-06-2008 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Pocket-sized Development

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NetMage For This Useful Post:

Kyle Matthews (03-06-2008)

Been away for a while...your a genius. Thanks so much. Unfortunately I'm getting two errors when I compile:

$ make
    make all-am
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/Vaio/ImageMagick.app'
    /bin/sh ./libtool --silent --tag=CC --mode=link arm-apple-darwin-gcc -g -O2 -
    Wall -W -D_THREAD_SAFE -DNDEBUG -no-undefined -export-symbols-regex ".*" -module
    -avoid-version -o coders/wmf.la -rpath /usr/local/lib/ImageMagick-6.3.9/module
    s-Q8/coders coders/coders_wmf_la-wmf.lo magick/libMagickCore.la wand/libMagickWa
    nd.la -lm
    ./libtool: line 5792: otool: command not found
    ./libtool: line 5795: otool64: command not found
    /usr/local/bin/arm-apple-darwin-ld: -dylib_file argument: :/home/Vaio/ImageMagic
    k.app/magick/.libs/libMagickCore.dylib must have a ':' between its file names
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[1]: *** [coders/wmf.la] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Vaio/ImageMagick.app'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

any idea on what I can do?

Looks like you are missing otool. You need to make sure you have /usr/local/bin in the front of your $PATH, and make sure you have a soft link in /usr/local/bin from otool to arm-apple-darwin-otool.exe
    Pocket-sized Development

Hi,

I got it to compile, when I configured I set up the install folder as /imagemagick. I installed it and then copied the files and folders into /private/var/root/Downloads/usr/local/ I then created a symbolic link from here to /usr/local.

I then did chmod -x on /usr/local/bin/* and /usr/local/lib/* . The image magick commands are avaliable but when I use them I get a permission error.

I think perhaps I'm doing this all wrong.

Hi,
    I tried this in my xcode environment ... and get a
    /magick/studio.h:184:24: error: arm/limits.h: No such file or directory
    But in /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS2.1.sdk/usr/include/arm/limits.h it is ...

What am I doing wrong?
    Regards,

Ralf

ImageMagick is available on Cydia already as part of Telesphoreo so I am not sure what the point of compiling now would be?
    Pocket-sized Development

Quote Originally Posted by NetMage View Post
    ImageMagick is available on Cydia already as part of Telesphoreo so I am not sure what the point of compiling now would be?
    Hi!
    The problem is that I need a static Library to use it within the Apple SDK (Xcode). With the information I found here: Latenitesoft: Mac & iPhone Applications: iPhone Programming Tips: building Unix software

I ended up that crt_externs.h is not existing. Used by magick/random.c

There _NSGetEnviron() is missing ...

Regards,

Ralf

If you are interested in a guide to have ImageMagick compile as a static library that can be linked against for programming you can follow these instructions here:
    ImageMagick with JPG and PNG for iPhone

and also the update that followed afterwards
    Update

NetMage, could you please work your 'magick' one more time?
    The version on Cydia is 6.4.3 while the latest ImageMagick is 6.7.1-1 or so. The versions until and including 6.7 bring so many changes and many things that are very useful. 2 years have passed anyway.

Can anyone compile a newer version of binaries for iOS?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast