+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: leaked MacWorld keynote: program vetting process

is a discussion within the

iPhone / iPod Touch SDK | Development Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
If the leaked (?) keynote on Wikipedia is correct, iPhone program vetting will be done by submitting source code for applications. A very interesting idea if true. What do others
    Thanks

Default leaked MacWorld keynote: program vetting process
    If the leaked (?) keynote on Wikipedia is correct, iPhone program vetting will be done by submitting source code for applications.

A very interesting idea if true.

What do others think about having to submit source code, and what type of safeguards or guarantees would you want in the case of non open-source or commercial projects?

My other concern is the time it will take for approval - Nokia has added a "developer" key method that allows distributing an application that isn't approved if the phone is configured to allow development application installation. Will Apple have something similar to speed up distribution for those willing to take risks for faster updates?
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage

Green Apple
    Thanks
    about the macworld line up you can find some info here:
    http://www.boioglu.ro/macworld-2008-line-up/

sorry, half of the post is in romanian, but the most important part is in english (and i'm talking of course about INFO about iphone: iphone 2.0, sdk and others)
    1.1.2 + next sim --> 1.1.3 ZiPhoned--> 1.1.4 (Ziphone) --> 2.0.1 (winpwn)--> 2.1 (quickpwn)
    www.boioglu.ro/tag/iphone

JLA
    Developer
    Thanks

I would certainly expect Apple to require the source code...I imagine that they will dictate that certain classes may not be used, as well as a bunch of other code restrictions. Apple is very controlling and anal retentive...

Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLA View Post
    I would certainly expect Apple to require the source code...I imagine that they will dictate that certain classes may not be used, as well as a bunch of other code restrictions. Apple is very controlling and anal retentive...
    I would find that very unusual; I may currently both develop-with and execute-with any frameworks on my OS-X machines, and don't require additional permissions to do so.

If Apple attempted such restrictions for the iPhone, either some methods would have to be statically linked against the developer's code and Apple would have to distribute the binary, or the binary would require an encryption key to decrypt a framework upon execution (which would be easily broken).

Interesting times ahead, but I don't feel that Apple will be able to impose excessive restrictions unless they apply a new DRM scheme to new applications (which may not have immediate/constant access to the Internet).

Thanks

On thinking about it, no matter how they restrict application installation from iTunes, they will have to have a method for developer's to install applications for testing.

In the worst case, if they use a public key system to restrict deployment to a single phone, the development environment will still have to package the application, then sign it for phone deployment, and that process could be duplicated even on Windows to allow third-party application installation in "development mode".

Then, imagine jailbreak and Installer.app deployable in "development mode" using such an install tool, allowing creation of an application channel bypassing Apple and iTunes.

(Assuming Apple wouldn't approve Installer.app themselves for iTunes deployment )
    (And will the iTunes store allow purchasing applications from the iPhone?)
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage

JLA
    Developer
    Thanks

I picture this: Apple only allowing distribution by iTunes...they inspect and build the program. They do this (in part) so not to allow anything that might compete with AT&T's voice or SMS operations...this is probably contractual. And also to make sure that the code doesn't push the device too hard. Battery is a big limiting factor, and Apple doesn't want a bad rep in this area. And I imagine that certain areas of the frameworks are buggier than others (e.g. audio), and Apple would want to make sure the app treads very carefully there.