Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Java development on IPhone

Default Java development on IPhone
    Just wondering if there have been any movement in the development of Java applications for the iphone.

This is my main language and dont feel like translating my capabilities to another language.

Also are there any plans on being able to support Java or a JVM on the IPhone - lack of support is annoying to say the least.

anyone!?

Is there any way to launch a jar or anything no iphone yet!?!

i've been working on some java dev but so far nothing. i think that the one flaw is that i would have to edit a lot of strings and build more .plst's that will make the java run. but i have no more plans to work on it because i'm stuck between a wall and a hard place. so no more dev for me at least on this.

isnt jiggy a form of java?

afraid not, thats javascript mate.

I've never had to edit any plists or anything...have you tried Jay Freeman's (Saurik) repository? The JVM is JamVM...it and a HelloWorld are available for download on the aforementioned repo.

where is the reposuitary - this sounds promising.

I have more information on this :-

Core Java on iPhone
    Please also read the comments section of the post where Jay comments.

Now you can have native applications (with GUI) written in Java for iPhone.
    Last edited by vinodis; 01-04-2008 at 06:20 AM.

of course, it still requires you to learn UIkit stuff. Ive been working on an extra layer that wraps uikit in an Awt/swing like api. if anyone wants to help, I can sourceforge it.

omg JLA, is this out and ready - i would love to help out.

No, it is in fetal form...I quit working on it because I couldn't get jars to run, and got distracted with Garf and Funiculus, but I can now work on it again...I call it Jiph (Java for iPhone). I plan on having methods like addTouchListener(), removeTouchListener(), etc...

Of course, if we were ambitious enough, we could implement AWT...

sounds awesome, whats your msn, pm me it

What's msn? Is that an instant message thing? Never really got into that...
    Anyway, anyone who wants to start up another Java wrapper (to wrap the Jay Freeman's UIKit wrapper called "JocStrap", which hugs UIKit pretty tightly), let me know. The project is still in its fetal stage and has not been branded by anyone or anything.
    JLA

P.S. I've submitted a sourceforge project proposal...usually takes a day or two to get approved. I'm certainly not planning on controlling the direction of this project (med school just started back up...time very scarce), so it can go anywhere...there won't be a single dominant developer or anything. If you want to join, PM me...
    Last edited by JLA; 01-04-2008 at 11:29 AM.

Wow...the Jiph project up on Sourceforge...pretty quick. Again, anyone who wants in can PM me.